Notices

How to wash/clean a 964 factory car cover??

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 07:40 PM
jmroach
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to wash/clean a 964 factory car cover??

Dumb question, but i can't find information anywhere and it has no 'care tag' on it. Anyone have advice on how to clean the factory 964 car cover? it's the silver, nylon-like cover. Thanks in advance!

-john
Old 11-18-2012, 11:06 PM
abarthguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 283 Likes on 173 Posts

NOT a dumb question !
I have been wondering the same thing.....
Old 11-19-2012, 02:44 AM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the inside dirty? If not, you can wash the outside while the top is on the car.

A front loading washing machine can be used to wash the cover. Put it on gentle cycle with cold water. Use car wash detergent (not clothes detergent). After wash, shake it and air dry either one the car or propped on some chairs. Never use a dryer.

If the cover is too big, use the big machine at laundry mat.

Don't wash it too much since it will break down the cover faster.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:47 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good advice djantlive

If I may expand on it a little;

Washing and Care:

Use a soft Horse Hair brush and a vacuum to remove any loose dust or dirt
• Covers should be taken to a commercial Laundromat and washed in large automatic washers without agitator. Use Woolite® (no soap or detergent). Wash your cover using the "Normal" or "Permanent Press" cycles in cold or warm water. Do not wash in hot water.
• Put the cover through two rinse cycles - it is important that the entire cleaning solution be removed in order to preserve the cover's water resistance, and then air dry.
• Do not put the cover in an automatic heated dryer (the fabric can melt or shrink)
• Do not dry-clean covers as the chemicals used will negatively affect the fabric protection abilities and durability

Car Cover Cleaning and Care

• Use a soft Horse Hair brush and a vacuum to remove any loose dust or dirt
• Gently rinse cover with clean water
• Wash with a 5:1 clean water / Woolite solution, using a soft brush to loosen any stubborn dirt (Do not scrub surface (see Spots and Stains)
• Thoroughly rinse with clean water to remove soap solution
• Allow to thoroughly air-dry
• Apply 303™ High Tech Fabric Guard by spraying from approximately 6-inch above the surface with a side-to-side motion, dampen but do not saturate.
• Two applications will ensure complete coverage, allow air-drying between applications.
• Allow cover to dry before storage.
• The inside of a cover may also be cleaned by turning it inside-out on the vehicle and repeating the above steps
• Allow to thoroughly air-dry
Old 11-19-2012, 09:59 AM
jmroach
Intermediate

Thanks a ton, guys. The inside is dirty-- especially around the wheel wells. Looks like i'll be visiting my friendly local laundromat. That should be an experience...
Old 11-22-2012, 06:59 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 693 Likes on 481 Posts

I washed mine in the laundry tub.

Using room temperature water and laundry detergent that was first dissolved, I let it soak for a while and then hand washed it. Rinsing it in the laundry tub as well.

Used the spin cycle of my washing machine to get the water out and hung it up to dry.

Result: like new.

Last edited by IXLR8; 11-22-2012 at 07:19 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:11 AM
feds
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would try vacuuming it first, inside and out, to get the loose dirt out. You'll be surprised how much dirt is sucked out. I do this on my cabrio top every time I wash it and it leaves it looking new. If you don't vacuum it first, the dirt could embed in the material.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:30 AM
Crojne
Banned

When I had a CoverKing car cover , I cleaned it at a laundromat and dry it in one of their hairdryers on low warm. Couldn't seem to harm the protect, but I only used it while the car was in the spare room area too...

Quick Reply: How to wash/clean a 964 factory car cover??