Hand washing and rinsing with soft water

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 11:25 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Hand washing and rinsing with soft water

A question for you detailing experts.

Is there a worthwhile benefit to using soft water for a hand wash and wax. I suspect so but don't know for sure.

Reason for asking is I was hand washing my Turbo as I always do, using hard water in a bucket with car wash soap and a microfiber mit. I follow this with a hard water rinse from the hose and a leaf blow dry with final by microfiber towels.

It was a bit cool today and I thought about adding some hot water from the faucet in the garage to make washing a bit more pleasant, which it did. Then I thought about rinsing with a hose connected to the garage faucets but I'd need a special hose with male/male ends which I don't have. The garage water is soft, the outside is hard. I've been washing all my nice cars and motorcycles with hard water for years, decades even.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:14 AM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm not a detailer, but the one who detailed my 2011 Golf TDI and my 03Turbo gave me enough proof that a De-Ionized water system is the way to go to avoid "micro-scratching" the clearcoat on any vehicle that is worth it. I went with CR Spotless ( very good price on Costco's website ). I basically took his work from being done on my two cars ( he gets Plenty of work as it is, not in short supply for the big money folks).
What you don't want to wash is with softened water that is done via Salt systems, big no-no in his book.
DI water removes all Total dissolved Solids (TDS) . a TDS meter ( about $15-18 ) is great .
The CR Spotless system has a built in TDS meter. It should read "0" ppm TDS and you cant go wrong when it comes to washing your rides. keep the mitts constantly rinsed so as not to contaminate the areas you wash. I use an electric leaf blower to avoid additional towel contact to the paint.

With a DI wash system you can actually let the car dry out in the sun and not even get water spots, that's how well it works. Hope the info helps.

Last edited by 2K7TTMIA; 11-08-2012 at 01:14 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:44 PM
goatboy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My tap water has SAND in it.... Floriduh. I found this out when I fixed the toilet and found sand in the bottom of the tank. WTF? We moving into a new house next year and I'm getting a filter system for the garage hose bib.

Here's another tip: I use one mitt for the top half of the car, one for the bottom half, and one for the rocker panels, bottom edges of the car (bumpers, rocker panels), tires, and wheels. I keep them in labeled plastic bins so they don't get mixed up. Brake pad dust is pretty much the world's most effective paint scratcher.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:36 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

The biggest issue with hard water is that it can and will etch the paint if you let the sun dry the car. On a hot dry day you will find that it doesn't take very long for this to happen and you end up with etched paint and very hard to remove hard water stains on the glass. If you have soft water available or a CR Spotless I would definitely use it.

As far as sand and other water contaminants, I know many hoses have strainers built in that will remove larger particles.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:36 AM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Marine Blue is correct. Hard water, if left on the paint, can etch the clear coat. Type 1 waterspots are fairly easily removed. Type 2 spots usually require machine polishing. Your leaf blower drying is a good practice as long you can remove the water fast enough or pull the car inside before you dry. With that said, I do have a CR Spotless system that I use in my detailing business but find the cost to outweigh the benefits; at least on the pro side of detailing.

One product that I recommend to everyone is Optimum No Rinse. ONR is a rinseless wash product that will allow to wash your car with only 3 to 4 gallons of water. The huge benefit is that you can simply use hot water from the tap if its cold outside. No hose necessary, just a bucket. ONR in itself is a water softener so not other softening agents need to be used. This stuff is magical. I haven't actually washed my car with soap and water in over 3 years.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:42 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Another solution for hard water which has worked really well for me is the use of spray waxes immediately after washing. I've found that applying the spray wax to the surface will prevent water spots, provide a protective layer and improve the overall appearance of the paint (on DD's). This has been a tremendous help for drying the car and preventing water spots. I also find that it makes future cleanup easier and touchless car washes actually work well.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:37 PM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

^^^^
Without a doubt. When I towel dry a car, I always mist it first, while still wet with rinse water, with a spray wax or quick detailer. Most of those products will neutralize the hard water. More importantly, the extra lubrication while drying will help minimize putting swirl marks in the clear. If you have a dark colored car, you know how easy it is to see the swirls but to put them in. Anything you can do to minimize that it is worth the extra effort.
Old 05-22-2023, 12:46 PM
Exo
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Gator996
Marine Blue is correct. Hard water, if left on the paint, can etch the clear coat. Type 1 waterspots are fairly easily removed. Type 2 spots usually require machine polishing. Your leaf blower drying is a good practice as long you can remove the water fast enough or pull the car inside before you dry. With that said, I do have a CR Spotless system that I use in my detailing business but find the cost to outweigh the benefits; at least on the pro side of detailing.

One product that I recommend to everyone is Optimum No Rinse. ONR is a rinseless wash product that will allow to wash your car with only 3 to 4 gallons of water. The huge benefit is that you can simply use hot water from the tap if its cold outside. No hose necessary, just a bucket. ONR in itself is a water softener so not other softening agents need to be used. This stuff is magical. I haven't actually washed my car with soap and water in over 3 years.
While I do support Rinseless wash for the right situations… it certainly doesn’t soften your water. You still need to dry the spot.

Also… Rinseless certainly is not the solution for a dirty daily driver. Rinseless with a dirty car greatly increases chances of swirling.

Rinseless is great for the weekend toy…
Personally, I’ll Rinseless my 718, but never my cayenne. It just gets too dirty. Although I do use Rinseless to remove bugs from the bumper… much safer then quick detailer
The following users liked this post:
BoxKing (05-24-2023)
Old 05-26-2023, 03:55 PM
The_Last_Detail
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is exactly the reason why we have the CR spotless system in our detail vans and at the shop. Many times the sun does not cooperate and you are washing a vehicle in less than ideal conditions. At a minimum use the spotless for the final rinse. Also, keep in mind that most car wash shampoos do neutralize the pH of your soap and water wash bucket. So, if working in direct sunlight, better to keep the car soapy, if there is a chance of the water drying before the spotless rinse. Lastly, blow drying the car with an electric leaf blower or master blaster is a great way to get all the lingering water out of the jams, mirrors and crevices. Also it eliminates toweling the finish, which can introduce swirls, especially on black and dark colored vehicles.
Old 06-28-2023, 11:59 PM
Otakugamer
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

You all responding to a thread after almost 11 years. This has got to win the Rennlist prize for longest time in between posts.

Quick Reply: Hand washing and rinsing with soft water