Notices

leather tear patch/repair recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 10:59 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Default leather tear patch/repair recommendations?

I just picked up a 2003 suburban as a tow vehicle. It is in mint condition with 195,000 miles and has about 3 inches of residual previous owner on the seats. I busted out the big guns and used Optimum Power Clean diluted 5:1 with my swissvax leather brush on the seats to restore them to their original ivory color. Some compare/contrast pictures are attached.

For the record it did work very well and returned the seats to their original color but I would never do it on a "real" car. Left the seats feeling a bit dry but a treatment of Leatherique helped that out. As a note, "regular" leather cleaner like Lexol was laughed at by this stuff. I cleaned the whole seat with Lexol first; so the dirty part you see below has actually already been cleaned once, to no avail.

Also FWIW the same OPC solution with a stiff brush got a lot of coke/coffee stains out of the carpets.

Anyways the driver's seat has a lot of striations/creases in the leather as well as one big tear. I just want the bolster to not tear anymore; does anyone have a recommendation for a kit I can use to repair this thing? I don't even care if I have to stitch a piece of leather on it as long as it will hold up. I'll take a pic of the tears later; they are all on the lower part of the seat.
Attached Images   

Last edited by knfeparty; 09-20-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:30 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Burns or torn leather – scrape away any burned edges and cut off any rough and / or frayed particles. Obtain a piece of leather and trim it slightly larger than the tear, apply a suitable adhesive allowing it to become ‘tacky’. Place this sub-patch under the leather and allow to fully dry. If necessary use filler to level the surface; use several light coats of filler and allow to dry between coats.

You can use a hair dryer to assist in drying. Remember to hold hair dry at a 30 degree angle. After the leather repair is level, apply a colour dye to match if required

Quick Reply: leather tear patch/repair recommendations?