Notices

Cryo Detailing ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 05:25 PM
Erik
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cryo Detailing ??

Our local PCA magazine has advertisements in it from a local Porsche shop that also does Cryo Detailing for under carriages, engine bays etc, which will supposedly remove the harshest debris, yet wont destroy soft rubber or electrical components.

I must say that the before and after pictures look VERY impressive, does anyone have any experience with this ?

TIA
Old 11-29-2011, 09:57 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Any links to the shop that offers these services? Never heard of Cryo Detailing, are they using liquid nitrogen and if yes how?
Old 11-30-2011, 01:47 AM
salukijac
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No afilliation.
http://cryodetail.tunersmall.com/index.php
Old 11-30-2011, 08:26 AM
Erik
Burning Brakes

^^^ that's the shop that advertises it in our magazine. As you can see, the before and after pictures are quite impressive.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:35 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Interesting, it looks like a high pressure steamer or maybe a pressure washer on steroids! The reason I say water is because it's accumulating on their visors. Would love to learn more, this could be a classic car guys dream come true!
Old 11-30-2011, 09:10 AM
DetailDan
Track Day

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Interesting, it looks like a high pressure steamer or maybe a pressure washer on steroids! The reason I say water is because it's accumulating on their visors. Would love to learn more, this could be a classic car guys dream come true!
Neither, the machine uses dry ice. Heres another thread on it, http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-det...dget-ever.html
Old 11-30-2011, 05:36 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DetailDan
Neither, the machine uses dry ice. Heres another thread on it, http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-det...dget-ever.html
Wow, that's cool. I'll have to read more on this one, would be a great tool to have in the arsenal although I stopped doing concours preps a while back. Hmm
Old 11-30-2011, 08:27 PM
DetailDan
Track Day

Sure would! I think something like that is $8- $10k+
Old 12-01-2011, 03:33 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 59 Likes on 23 Posts

this was discussed in the 993 forum: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...our-match.html
Old 12-02-2011, 08:33 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Erik
I must say that the before and after pictures look VERY impressive, does anyone have any experience with this?
Well someone on the link in post #6 asked the right question, "I wonder if there is any abrasive effect of the solid particles coming out? Even something as soft as baking soda is abrasive when blasted."

If ice particles are used as the blasting media, then it is abrasive to some extent. Even water is...ask any float plane pilot how his prop is doing. I don't even use a pressure washer on my cars/motorcycles.

Cleaning the underside and getting the Cosmoline off is a one-time affair. Want to join the club...do the time.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:44 AM
DetailDan
Track Day

Dont stick the pressure washer nozzle right up to the paint and you're fine. The pressure is significantly reduced only a couple feet from the nozzle. Theres no issue with using a pressure washer to wash cars as long as the psi is correct.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:48 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by DetailDan
Dont stick the pressure washer nozzle right up to the paint and you're fine. The pressure is significantly reduced only a couple feet from the nozzle. Theres no issue with using a pressure washer to wash cars as long as the psi is correct.
At that point, I might as well just use my garden hose with nozzle, which is what I do to rinse. My pressure washer sees other uses.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:59 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Is it actually accelerating solid pieces of dry ice into the parts? I agree that this could be highly abrasive to certain components such as plastics and plated parts if it is really blasting with solid dry ice.

I personally have always maintained the opinion that there are no shortcuts to producing good results without damaging parts. While chemicals and abrasives can speed up the process they bring with them the possibility to either change the appearance of a part or possibly damage it.

My approach while time consuming has never failed to produce good results. But if you're not planning on keeping the car forever the labor approach may not make sense. YMMV
Old 12-05-2011, 02:50 PM
Erik
Burning Brakes

Cleaning the underside and getting the Cosmoline off is a one-time affair. Want to join the club...do the time
But I'm lazy. Besides, I'm not really doing it to Concours the cars, my 930 used to be a track rat, is not longer, just wouldn't mind having a nice clean bottom. My GT3 is my current trackrat with at least 30 track days a year, but I wouldn't mind having a clean bottom there either.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:37 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 708 Likes on 369 Posts

My concern would be the temp decrease on metal surfaces. It looks like a neat process, but more research on my end before we bring it to our shop.

Quick Reply: Cryo Detailing ??