Cryo Detailing ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 08:47 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by MoeMistry
My concern would be the temp decrease on metal surfaces. It looks like a neat process, but more research on my end before we bring it to our shop.
That's definitely a smart approach Moe. Spending $10K on equipment isn't a big deal. The real cost could be the damage done to a customers car and your reputation. Wait until technology is proven to work without harm.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:22 AM
mandy99
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Diy water features

Diy water features
Water features,Water feature
http://www.diyhomeimprovement.com.au/
Old 12-19-2011, 05:18 PM
bux996tt
Intermediate

Interestingly I came across the same youtube video and thought this was an amazing process. I have done quite a bit of research as a result and here is what I have found. The cost of doing the undercarriage of the 996tt runs about $1,200 for now on special (going to $2,200). I am interested in having my car done, but there is nobody even remotely near me that does this, other than industrial applications. The process is quite amazing in that there is no damage to components, the temperature change is minimal because the time on the part is so small, there is no cleanup mess, etc. I then spoke to one of the most renowned detailers in the country to get his thoughts and he said his colleague in the UK is now using one. So..I researched machines, costs, etc thinking this could be a cool business since I could only find one place in the US doing this on vehicles. I spoke with the sales manager for company 'X' that makes these and he couldn't believe it would be cost effective to use this for detailing. Not only does this require a 128 CFM compressor (think 6 cyl type on wheels), the amount of dry ice pellets it uses is quite a bit (I think he said 3 lbs a minute). He felt for what we want to do, it was rather crazy. He said cleaners and a pressure washer are just as effective for much less. BTW, you can't touch that machine for $10k, more like $17k to start. In any event, seems like a great idea. I was intrigued, the dry ice blasting rep was even intrigued by this application.
Hope this helps.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:10 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm skeptical. Dry ice blasting is used as a mold abatement technique, so there may be some abrasive aspects of it. I agree most with Moe. Sudden temp decreases would concern me, especailly with painted vinyl surfaces.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:32 PM
DetailDan
Track Day

Originally Posted by bux996tt
Interestingly I came across the same youtube video and thought this was an amazing process. I have done quite a bit of research as a result and here is what I have found. The cost of doing the undercarriage of the 996tt runs about $1,200 for now on special (going to $2,200). I am interested in having my car done, but there is nobody even remotely near me that does this, other than industrial applications. The process is quite amazing in that there is no damage to components, the temperature change is minimal because the time on the part is so small, there is no cleanup mess, etc. I then spoke to one of the most renowned detailers in the country to get his thoughts and he said his colleague in the UK is now using one. So..I researched machines, costs, etc thinking this could be a cool business since I could only find one place in the US doing this on vehicles. I spoke with the sales manager for company 'X' that makes these and he couldn't believe it would be cost effective to use this for detailing. Not only does this require a 128 CFM compressor (think 6 cyl type on wheels), the amount of dry ice pellets it uses is quite a bit (I think he said 3 lbs a minute). He felt for what we want to do, it was rather crazy. He said cleaners and a pressure washer are just as effective for much less. BTW, you can't touch that machine for $10k, more like $17k to start. In any event, seems like a great idea. I was intrigued, the dry ice blasting rep was even intrigued by this application.
Hope this helps.
Who, Paul Dalton?
Old 12-19-2011, 10:29 PM
bux996tt
Intermediate

Yes, I believe it is Paul in the UK using one. That's not who I spoke with.

Last edited by bux996tt; 12-19-2011 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Adding more info.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:52 AM
DetailDan
Track Day

Assuming you are referring to Todd Cooperider
Old 12-20-2011, 03:02 PM
bux996tt
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DetailDan
Assuming you are referring to Todd Cooperider
You are correct. He is local to me.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:09 AM
adamvandenbos
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Northeast

Does anyone know of any cryo-detailing shops around Northeast area?
Old 03-04-2014, 10:43 PM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Bringing up an OLD thread. I have bee doing research and can't find that this has damaged anything (except grime).

Has anyone done it? This was posted in 2011.

I would be curious to know
Old 03-14-2014, 02:31 PM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I just had a conversation with Taylor at TuneRS in Coral Springs, FL. they are just finishing up a 2002 996Turbo. I emailed him a couple questions about the cost and time involved and the amount of dry ice consumed on a typical undercarriage.
Im looking to getting this done in the next couple weeks, so I'll try to provide some feedback.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:12 PM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Here's a quick pic from the first day of cryo-detail:

First order was wheel removal then ALL plastic removal ( complete undertrays and wheel wells). A good 4-5 hours of cleaning. A few more hours tomorrow morning, then re-assemble. Hopefully done by 2pm .
Old 03-24-2014, 11:24 PM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

Whats the costing going to be that is my question. They never answered me when I would email them
Old 03-24-2014, 11:36 PM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tim Wasmer
Whats the costing going to be that is my question. They never answered me when I would email them
$1,250. I looked into renting some of the same equipment thru a distributor near my indi's shop. It was going to cost about the same. A larger ice hopper, aftercooler, and a pretty high PSI rating (IIRC 185), on top of some contract work. The equipment is not inexpensive.

I may as well pay someone to git r done.

There is a smaller version dry ice handler that operates at lower PSI. I didn't check on the cost for a smaller version.

the website for the equipment is ContinentalCarbonic.com.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:59 PM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

I wonder how much business they get for this. Colorado guys unite

Quick Reply: Cryo Detailing ??