Notices

Preping calipers for repaint

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 05:01 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Preping calipers for repaint

I have new winter wheels going and I've decided to give the calipers a new coat of paint. I'm going to try this G2 kit since the paint surface is pretty smooth although the clear coat is in shambles.

The kit comes with brake cleaner in spray can. Any other suggestions to get the calipers and wheel wells clean?
Old 11-14-2011, 07:04 PM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Brake Calliper Renovation

A way to spice up the look and at the same time protects the callipers from corrosion.
The Calliper Paint System (G2- Manufacturing, Inc. Colorado Springs) features aircraft quality paint, available in six different high gloss colours, Red, Yellow, Blue, Silver, Black, & Purple. The paint is heat resistant up to 932 degrees; this paint won't start running into your brake pads, it also seals and protects against corrosion. Hupcaps.com

Brake dust and dirt will not adhere to the calliper surface since adding the paint. The kit includes everything you'll need to get the job done, besides paint you'll also get reactor (special bonding agent), high tech calliper cleaner, mixing sticks, and a brush. Do not attempt to paint the rotor contact surface

See also Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)

Surface Preparation

• Remove the brake callipers from vehicle.
• Molecular Tech Coatings Inc., EFS-2500 aircraft paint stripper is environment friendly. It can get easily decomposed and is also non-toxic as well. In terms of chemical composition, there is no methylene chloride, no carbonic acid, and no formic acid present in the paint stripper. Hence, it is perfectly safe to use.
• Thoroughly clean with PrepSol and then sand with Norton 3X Sandpaper (p-graded aluminium oxide grain) 60, 80 or 100 grit sand paper, sand wet or dry with a rubber sanding block.
• Use a tack rag and wipe the area, using a light pressure
• Continue the sanding process using finer and finer grades of UniGrit finishing paper, 220 or 320 grit and finally with 500-grit paper.
• For small hard to reach places use a Dremel Tool and a suitable sanding bit
Refinishing
• Prepare the surface by removing all sandpaper residues with a tack rag, wash surface and then dry thoroughly. .
• Wipe-down the wheels with DuPont Prep Sol and allow to air dry.
• Apply a thin coat of self-etching primer to stabilize and provide an etched surface.
• Use at temperatures between 70 – 90.oF (.Do not use this paint in damp conditions)
• Shake the can well for at least a full minute
• Push the spray nozzle as you sweep across and release at the end.
• Spray on, spray off. Spray on, spray off; apply as a very fine / thin coat.
• Paint the wheels with two thin coats of high-temperature paint to ensure complete coverage
• Apply your first coat of paint and then allow it to ‘dry to the touch’, before applying your next coats. This ‘tack coat will help stop the paint from sliding into a ‘run’ formation (orange peel).
• Allow air-drying; 1-2 hours on final coat and then lightly sand finish, then leave to cure overnight.
• Finish with a clear lacquer paint, apply two or three thin coats of clear with about 20-30 minutes of drying time between coats to seal the silver metallic paint and add depth and gloss
• A allow clear coat to air-dry and then cure for 4-6 ours

Notes:
1. Cover any lettering that you don’t want painted with a thin coat of Vaseline
2. Do not attempt to paint the rotor contact surface
Old 11-14-2011, 08:13 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Thanks. But I'm not sure that I need to strip the paint completely. The surface is pretty smooth. Is it really necessary to strip it down to the metal because the clear coat is spotty? Can't the clear coat just be removed? Also, the clear coat is gone from the sides and not really the face of the caliper (where the lettering would be).
Old 11-15-2011, 06:38 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

If the 'base' is in a reasonable condition it should only need a 'key' i.e. sandpaper to roughen the surface

Quick Reply: Preping calipers for repaint