Notices

Best way to address hairline cracks in OEM single stage paint?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 01:47 PM
993James993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Best way to address hairline cracks in OEM single stage paint?

I am looking after my son's Guards Red 1990 C2 for a few years while he has taken a job on the east coast. The paint has always been good but has oxidized over the past year. My plan is to correct this using a Porter Cable buffer with appropriate polish and waxes.

Yesterday I washed the car and noticed multiple hairline cracks in the hood and top. I have never noticed there before and am not sure if they are new or if they have been there for awhile.

Are these just due to age and the bright sun here or did some event likely cause them? And what is the best way to deal with them?

I'm concerned that the buffer will make the issue worse and might rip up sections of the paint. I want to seal them with some type of glaze to keep water from making them worse, but would like to clean them before doing so.

Any advice is very much appreciated.

Here is what the cracks look like:

Thanks!

Jim
Old 09-25-2011, 01:58 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Repaint. That won't buff out.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:22 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Agreed, that needs to be resprayed unfortunately.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:13 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 768 Likes on 404 Posts

I'd be very careful using a polisher. If you're just using a soft pad and cleaner wax, you're OK. Anything more aggressive, and you run the risk of removing paint.

This is most likely due to improper care. The paint becomes dull and begins to crack when it dries over the years. That's why you should polish and wax with quality products. Porsche paint is one of the most amazing quality paints on the planet. With proper care, storage, it can last a lifetime.

Sealing it won't help water not to get under cracks. Your best bet is to take it to a reputable shop and have them repaint.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:42 AM
993James993
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the information!

Moe, I applied cleaner wax with a soft cloth and then sealer and carnuba on just that area. The cracks are actually quite fine and hard to see and don't know how long they have been there. (My photos were taken on macro setting from very close up.) The only way you can see them is to look at reflections. I still plan to use the polisher but will avoid that area.

If/when I do the respray, should I try to find someone who will still use single stage paint or just go with a modern product and clear coat? My preferred painter will not use anything but his system. I had him do a complete respray on another car and was very happy with his work. I did not keep the car more than a few years so I don't know how it held up to the desert sun in my area.

Here is a shot after I polished the center area:
Old 10-02-2011, 08:15 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a coating product available that could ‘buy you time’ until your ready to re-paint. Opti-Coat by OPT products. It’s a pre-polymer that cross links and forms a continuous film on the surfaces it is applied to similar to a single component Isocyanate that forms a clear coat finish.

I would suggest you clean the paint surface with Klasse AIO as its less abrasive than a polish and will not remove any clear coat
Old 10-02-2011, 11:01 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

As far as the respray goes, definitely go with a single stage paint. Guards red single stage looks spectacular when properly polished, a clear coat won't match the depth IMO.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:53 AM
993James993
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TOGWT
There is a coating product available that could ‘buy you time’ until your ready to re-paint. Opti-Coat by OPT products. It’s a pre-polymer that cross links and forms a continuous film on the surfaces it is applied to similar to a single component Isocyanate that forms a clear coat finish.

I would suggest you clean the paint surface with Klasse AIO as its less abrasive than a polish and will not remove any clear coat
Thanks! I will check it out. As I mentioned I am planning to polish the entire car, taking care around the area with the cracking-likely doing that area by hand. Should I use the Opti-Coat and then wax as usual?
Old 10-03-2011, 07:46 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I prefer to add wax to either a sealant or a coating as it provides a sacrificial protection for acidic IFO, acid rain and bird excrement.

Just be careful if you intend to use an abrasive polish as this could exacerbate the paint problems

Quick Reply: Best way to address hairline cracks in OEM single stage paint?