Notices

How do you get the "white" out of the rubber?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 07:53 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default How do you get the "white" out of the rubber?

Had some spare time today and did a detailed visual inspection of my BMW and my 993. Both cars had a white residue on rubber and/or plastic black trim pieces. Undoubtedly, this is left over from when I was sloppy in polishing and waxing both cars. I never worried about this before, thinking that I would be able to clean up the residue later on.

Well, today, I tried water, ISA, and then acetone. None worked at all. I know that I can overcoat the residue with some blackout product; but, really would rather remove the stains rather then cover them up.

Is there a way to clean up the trim without damaging it?
Old 07-22-2011, 07:59 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

No sooner had I posted my question, then I read down on recent posts and found one asking essentially the same question. Respondents indicated that Wurth Citrus Degreaser or another German plastic cleaner would clean things up. I've never heard of either product. Are there similar products that are more common in the auto supply stores? Or, I guess I can order them over the internet.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:51 AM
KrisPKreme
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try an old fashioned pencil eraser...the big ones. If that doesn't do it, then try peanut butter. Yes, peanut butter! If those dont work and an all purpose cleaner wouldn't do it, then a coating of some sort is the next best option.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:25 AM
zero9nine
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any citrus degreaser will work. Try diluting it first.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:16 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by earossi
No sooner had I posted my question, then I read down on recent posts and found one asking essentially the same question. Respondents indicated that Wurth Citrus Degreaser or another German plastic cleaner would clean things up. I've never heard of either product. Are there similar products that are more common in the auto supply stores? Or, I guess I can order them over the internet.
http://www.detailedimage.com/Einszet...472/500-ml-S1/
Old 08-03-2011, 11:39 AM
Nick.944
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have tried everything and the best and safest way to go is Pre-Wow then follow up with Black-Wow.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:57 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

I went ahead and ordered the Einszett Plastic Deep Cleaner along with Black WOW. I tried the Cleaner on several areas of two of my cars. Followed the instructions; however, the results were negligible, so I am not impressed with that product.

Then I tried using the Black WOW. Worked great. I really like the products ability to cover up blemishes. I'll have to wait to see how long the stuff lasts before requiring re-coating before I am really happy. My understanding is that WOW is just a coating and that it may have a short life. We'll see.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:51 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

FWIW, there are some waxes that don't leave the "white marks".
Pinnacle Souveran comes to mind.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:54 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Next time, use a high quality painter's tape (blue or green stuff) and mask-off the black plastic/rubber (plus badges, clear bra edges, body panel seams, all kinds of stuff), prior to polishing and waxing. A little extra prep in the beginning, saves you a ton of time in the end.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:36 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 686 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by earossi
Is there a way to clean up the trim without damaging it?
Yes and it doesn't require high priced fancy smancy products. I also do not use products that "mask" a problem by covering it up.

To clean trim, I use a soft bristle tooth brush, sometimes I cut the bristles down so that they are shorter and flex less.

I'll use Facto AT30 degreaser or something like a citrus cleaner (possibly diluted) as a soap.

Then I work the soap I am using into the trim. You don't want to use any force because all that will do is fold the bristles over. You want the tips of the bristles to clean the pores in the trim. Do a small area and rinse...then move on to the next area.

Next time, mask off the trim and use far less polish.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:04 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Next time, use a high quality painter's tape (blue or green stuff) and mask-off the black plastic/rubber (plus badges, clear bra edges, body panel seams, all kinds of stuff), prior to polishing and waxing. A little extra prep in the beginning, saves you a ton of time in the end.

AMEN!!!!

Quick Reply: How do you get the "white" out of the rubber?