headliner cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 10:20 AM
rg588911
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts
Default headliner cleaning

Hi all

My daily driver is an 04 Audi Allroad 4.2. It has the same headliner material as a Cayenne (kind of waffly looking light gray fabric). I live in Manhattan and park in a garage and it seems that my garage attendants (thats a nice designation for the careless auto animals that are killing the car with a slow death) grab the A pillar or roof area to the left of the sunroof when entering or exiting and thus getting their greasy dirty finger prints on the light gray liner. The liner is pulled taught to the A pillar and areas around the sun roof. I don't know how best to clean this without making a mess.

Does anyone have some suggestions i.e. products or techniques. I do have a steamer but have been worried about ruining some sort of adhesive bond that may be there.

Thanks
Old 06-27-2011, 10:44 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Griots Interior cleaner works very well for cleaning cloth surfaces. I would spray it on a Microfiber and gently wipe the areas which are dirty. If this isn't enough I would spray the cleaner directly on the surface but use the smallest quantity possible to prevent damage to the adhesive underneath the headliner. I wouldn't use a steam cleaner since the heat could loosen the adhesive and cause sagging.

When finished with the cleaning I would wet down a second microfiber and wipe the areas again to remove any cleaner which may be left behind.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:56 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 768 Likes on 404 Posts

The best product we've used for over 16 years is Autoglym Interior Cleaner. Works like a charm on all upholstery, carpets, floor mats, alcantara, headliner, etc. Doesn't leave behind a sticky feeling.

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...ttle%2C/Detail

Another great product we've recently been using is 303 CSR...it also works well but we don't have the experience as we do with Autoglym. So far, the 303 has been working as good as Autoglym and the price is better...twice as much, a little bit less in cost.

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...nd-Spot/Detail

Simply spray either product on a clean mf towel, then gently begin rubbing the headlner. Keep switching to clean side of towel and spray the product as needed until the desired look is achieved. Then, grab a clean mf towel, and rub the area cleaned until dry.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:45 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Headlining / Headliner - Duragloss 451 Fabric & Carpet Cleaner Aerosol Foam (FC) is a blend of surfactants, which gently foam away soil, oil and grease from fabric and carpet surfaces. Spot cleaning can be done without leaving rings on fabrics, carpet and velour. Spray onto micro fibre towel and gently agitate surface with a very light pressure (do not soak liner as the liner may delaminate) Dry by blotting with a clean, dry micro fibre towel

Quick Reply: headliner cleaning