Notices

6" Pads on a PC buffer?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 10:35 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts
Default 6" Pads on a PC buffer?

I just bought some polishing pads from Griot's and when I put them next to the pads I bought with my buffer from Detailers Domain they are about 1 or 2" too big. Should I use them anyway or send them back? Thanks for the help
Old 05-19-2011, 11:07 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I use the Griots Polishing pads on my DA, they work really well. I've used several polishing pads over the years and I still seem to go back to the orange Griots pads. Do you have a 7424XP?
Old 05-20-2011, 07:42 AM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I use the Griots Polishing pads on my DA, they work really well. I've used several polishing pads over the years and I still seem to go back to the orange Griots pads. Do you have a 7424XP?
That's the one, thanks for the feedback
Old 05-20-2011, 09:23 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you use a pad that 1-2 inches bigger tah the backing plate the area of applied pressure(the backing plate) may well 'cut ' into the pad causing it to fail. A 0.5-inch saftey margin between pad an backing plate is recommended i.e 5.5-inch pad / 5-inch backing plate
Old 05-20-2011, 09:29 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by TOGWT
If you use a pad that 1-2 inches bigger tah the backing plate the area of applied pressure(the backing plate) may well 'cut ' into the pad causing it to fail. A 0.5-inch saftey margin between pad an backing plate is recommended i.e 5.5-inch pad / 5-inch backing plate
What's interesting is that I've observed this type of failure with the Meguiars 6.5" Pads but never on the Griots pads. In fact I had an instance where a Meguiars Polishing Pad just completely blew apart (literally disentegrated) while I was polishing and luckily I saw it happening and pulled the polisher away before it could damage the paint. I had only used the pad once before that so this really was disappointing. Griots pads will typically start failing at the center and it happens very slowly so it's easy to monitor.

Quick Reply: 6" Pads on a PC buffer?