Need advice on detail plan

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 11:39 PM
ryguy993
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on detail plan

Hi,
I need advice on what kind of detailing kit to purchase. My 993 C4S's paint is in great shape and has a few light swirl marks that I am only noticing now that I have removed the stone guards to replace them. I am looking at the Porter Cable 7424 and the Flex 3401. What should I use as product and what steps should I take (compound, polish then wax?) just polish, Etc. Any advice is greatly apreciated.

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 04-20-2011, 08:05 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Long-term paint care

1. Wash - Regular washing (weekly) using a correct methodology, quality car wash concentrate, wash mitt and drying towels
2. Decontamination - Remove acidic contaminants (bird or insect excrement, brake or rail dust, etc) as soon as possible
3. Detailer’s clay - Clean paint twice a year (or as necessary) to remove acidic contaminants; brake or rail dust, etc
4. Paint cleaner - Clean paint twice a year (or as necessary) to remove surface contaminates
5. Polish – Paint surface 3-4 times (or as required) to remove surface scratches and marring
6. Paint protection - Protect paint 3-4 times a year with a quality paint sealant and / or wax.

Proper washing; use a two bucket wash system with a GritGuard, use separate wash media and bucket for your wheels and the paint and when drying use water sheeting and / or air powered drying and a waffle weave micro fibre towel

Proper surface drying; this is my preferred method of drying a vehicle paint surface; On the final rinse of the washing process remove the nozzle from the hose, reduce the water pressure and hold the end of the hose parallel to the paint and reasonably close as this is will prevent splashing as you flood the surface. Follow up with a waffle weave micro fibre towel to thoroughly dry the paint surface

These techniques are the best way to avoid the need for polishing. Proper (two-bucket) washing and drying techniques, using a chemical paint cleanser versus polishing on a clean finish to simply remove old wax/sealant is another. And always follow the rule of using the least abrasive polish and pad combination (working smarter not harder)

The use of any abrasive polish on automotive paintwork should always be restricted to the correction of specific problems such as scratches or oxidation.

Automotive clear coat is extremely thin and every time the surface is renovated using abrasive compounds some of the clear coat is removed.

Most original finishes are tougher on the outer surface than the underneath layers. The outer layer should therefore be preserved as far as possible.

I would strongly recommend that you always try a chemical paint cleaner (abrasive or non-abrasive) before you consider polishing the paint surface as it may rectify your problem without undue paint removal.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:54 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Ryan,

We're going to try to have another cars and coffee at the end of this month. If you can make it up this way I can look at your paint and make recommendations. I've been detailing for over 20 years and I've tried tons of different products over the years. I can tell you how far you need to go to get the paint looking factory new or better.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:58 AM
jcslocum
Instructor

I picked up a Griot's kit and I have had VERY good results!!
Old 04-20-2011, 11:56 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 738 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by ryguy993
Hi,
I need advice on what kind of detailing kit to purchase. My 993 C4S's paint is in great shape and has a few light swirl marks that I am only noticing now that I have removed the stone guards to replace them. I am looking at the Porter Cable 7424 and the Flex 3401. What should I use as product and what steps should I take (compound, polish then wax?) just polish, Etc. Any advice is greatly apreciated.

Thanks,
Ryan
Hi Ryan. Glad to hear you're going to be caring for you own Porsche. It's such a gratifying experience once you're complete.

Our best selling kit that can tackle anything that comes your way is the Advanced Polish Kit:

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...sh-Kits/Detail

You'll definitely want to go with the flex over the pc as the flex is a far superior tool that will allow you to do much better paint correction at a fraction of the time of a pc. We've also bundled in what we feel are the best polishes on the market. Menzerna Super Intensive and Super Finish. These two polishes will be all you need to tackle 90%+ of anything that can be done to the paint. All you'd need to ever change are the pads. In this kit are two types of pads that will do the mdeium to light final polishing. You'll also get the towels needed to do the job.

So we took the guess work out of the equation and you'll be using some of the best products in the industry. I would also recommend doing a proper cleaning prior to polishing and a proper waxing after the polishing. Our intermediate wax kit would fit the bill here:

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...Wax-Kit/Detail

Let me know if this steers you in the right direction and if you have any more questions.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:31 PM
ryguy993
Racer

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Ryan,

We're going to try to have another cars and coffee at the end of this month. If you can make it up this way I can look at your paint and make recommendations. I've been detailing for over 20 years and I've tried tons of different products over the years. I can tell you how far you need to go to get the paint looking factory new or better.
Thanks Afshin,
I will absolutely try to attend the next cars and coffee! I purchased a Porter Cable 7424XP with Menzerna polishes. The kit came with 4 pads (black, green , blue & orange) I'm not sure which pad/polish combo to use. You saw my paint last year and it hasn't changed sinse then, I have the itch to polish the car because I just finished removal of the factory stone guards and the paint underneath is factory new and it really makes the rest of the car look aged. I don't think that the car needs a "paint correction as I don't have swirl marks that are noticable, but I do want to freshen up the paint and then apply a good wax/sealant.
The Menzerna polishes that I have are Power Gloss (high cut), Power Finish (medium cut) & Super Finish (low cut). Which one should I start with?

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 04-21-2011, 05:42 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 738 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by ryguy993
Thanks Afshin,
I will absolutely try to attend the next cars and coffee! I purchased a Porter Cable 7424XP with Menzerna polishes. The kit came with 4 pads (black, green , blue & orange) I'm not sure which pad/polish combo to use. You saw my paint last year and it hasn't changed sinse then, I have the itch to polish the car because I just finished removal of the factory stone guards and the paint underneath is factory new and it really makes the rest of the car look aged. I don't think that the car needs a "paint correction as I don't have swirl marks that are noticable, but I do want to freshen up the paint and then apply a good wax/sealant.
The Menzerna polishes that I have are Power Gloss (high cut), Power Finish (medium cut) & Super Finish (low cut). Which one should I start with?

Thanks,
Ryan
Got your PM Ryan, and for sake of education for others reading this thread, I'm posting the advice I gave you:

The kit you got doesn't make any sense. Power Gloss is a compound. None of the pads you have will break that compound down properly, not to mention the PC won't create the friction needed to break down the compound. The super finish and power finish are fine, but again, the pads you have aren't the optimum ones for the polishes. You need Super intensive and super finish. Orange and white pad are all you'll need if your paint is 8.5/10.

So, why did you decide to get that kit? Who recommended it and why?

Just curious. We always educate our clients and find out what suits them instead of selling people cookie-cutter kits. All our kits are built by me personally and I've thought through what the end user needs and why they'd purchase that kit. That's why we have basic, intermediate, and advanced kits to choose from.

If you have to use what you have, use the power finish with orange pad and super finish with black pad.

I'd return that kit and buy the flex kit we have as it's a much better value and you'll get products you'd actually use now and many years later.

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...sh-Kits/Detail

Moe

Quick Reply: Need advice on detail plan