Clear Bra - How to Polish

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 07:09 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts
Default Clear Bra - How to Polish

So my parents just picked up a new to them 2008 E-Class Mercedes in Sienna Black. The car had a clear bra on it which looked pretty beat up with scratches, bug splatter and rock chips. I had finished polishing the entire car using M105 and M205 and decided that the clear bra needed some attention. So I experimented on the door mirror section of the bra which has scratches and light bug damage.

I used Detailers Domain blue polishing pad with M205 on a Griots Random Orbital. I put the speed setting to 3.5 and went at it. Initially I didn't spent too much time since I wasn't sure if I would be causing more damage than harm but I was very pleasantly surprised to see that the bra looked nearly new again. I applied a touch more product and continued polishing it. I then did the rest of the front end and again same results.

When my wife got home I had finished about half and I said take a look. She was shocked at the different. With exception to some deeper damage due to an acidic bug I was able to remove all the light scratches and heavy outer hazing. My parents haven't seen it yet but I think they will be blown away.

Sorry no pics this time but I will be polishing my DD this summer and I will try to get some pics since it also has a clear bra.

Note that I do not know the brand of clear bra so YMMV.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:37 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Minor Scratches

To remove minor scratches in the film use a high speed buffer (70 PPI LC White foam pad) at 1000 RPM only using the weight of the machine as pressure and lightly go over the area. It is important not to apply a lot of pressure to the film as this may lead to burning of the surface. Work from the centre then towards the edges, not the other way as you may ‘catch’ an edge and cause it to tear. Use a Q-tip and some isopropyl alcohol to clean out the edge

Zymol HD-Cleanse- a true polish and paint cleanser, which works very well on clear film. It will restore the lustre and shine back in the film and either eliminate the scratches or make them less visible.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:57 AM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by TOGWT
Minor Scratches

To remove minor scratches in the film use a high speed buffer (70 PPI LC White foam pad) at 1000 RPM only using the weight of the machine as pressure and lightly go over the area. It is important not to apply a lot of pressure to the film as this may lead to burning of the surface. Work from the centre then towards the edges, not the other way as you may ‘catch’ an edge and cause it to tear. Use a Q-tip and some isopropyl alcohol to clean out the edge

Zymol HD-Cleanse- a true polish and paint cleanser, which works very well on clear film. It will restore the lustre and shine back in the film and either eliminate the scratches or make them less visible.
I'm going to respectfully disagree with your advice on the HD Cleanse on the clear bra. While I think HD Cleanse is a good product, it's also somewhat difficult to work with and prone to drying out and can be difficult to remove.

I believe the OP's technique, results and product choice are better.

Just my .02
Old 04-22-2011, 05:36 PM
Tedster
Rennlist Member

Received 332 Likes on 162 Posts

I have some discoloration on my clear bra, yellowing. My car is white so it is very visible. Any way to correct or just use new film?
Old 04-23-2011, 12:13 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I think the only solution for discoloration is replacement. It seems that all clear bras will eventually discolor if left in the sun for extended periods.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:56 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 734 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by uzj100
I'm going to respectfully disagree with your advice on the HD Cleanse on the clear bra. While I think HD Cleanse is a good product, it's also somewhat difficult to work with and prone to drying out and can be difficult to remove.

I believe the OP's technique, results and product choice are better.

Just my .02
Agree as well.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:57 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 734 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
So my parents just picked up a new to them 2008 E-Class Mercedes in Sienna Black. The car had a clear bra on it which looked pretty beat up with scratches, bug splatter and rock chips. I had finished polishing the entire car using M105 and M205 and decided that the clear bra needed some attention. So I experimented on the door mirror section of the bra which has scratches and light bug damage.

I used Detailers Domain blue polishing pad with M205 on a Griots Random Orbital. I put the speed setting to 3.5 and went at it. Initially I didn't spent too much time since I wasn't sure if I would be causing more damage than harm but I was very pleasantly surprised to see that the bra looked nearly new again. I applied a touch more product and continued polishing it. I then did the rest of the front end and again same results.

When my wife got home I had finished about half and I said take a look. She was shocked at the different. With exception to some deeper damage due to an acidic bug I was able to remove all the light scratches and heavy outer hazing. My parents haven't seen it yet but I think they will be blown away.

Sorry no pics this time but I will be polishing my DD this summer and I will try to get some pics since it also has a clear bra.

Note that I do not know the brand of clear bra so YMMV.
Great work. What wax are you using on it?

Quick Reply: Clear Bra - How to Polish