Notices

Dealing with Dust: Recommendations on Wax/Detail Sprays

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 08:42 PM
Zurichgnome
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dealing with Dust: Recommendations on Wax/Detail Sprays

Guys, Our garage is located near my wife's garden. As a result there is a fair amount of dust in the air. I have a black car.

Just wondering if there are particular types of wax and detailer sprays that have a tendency to attract or repel dust. Looking for products that may make it easier ito maintain in this respect. Obviously the less wiping on a black car the better to reduce scratching.

Any input much appreciated!
Old 03-26-2011, 09:44 PM
Frank A.
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use Ultima Paint Guard Plus. Soooo easy to use, great shine, durable and it has good anti-static/dust properties. Good luck!

Regards,
Frank A.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:03 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

I have never heard of such a thing.
Perhaps you should consider either car cover or paint it dust collie
Old 03-27-2011, 11:42 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Any wax or sealant I've ever used has always increased the static charge on the surface of the paint which makes total sense when you think about it. Static is generated by rubbing a surface so when you wipe the wax/sealant from the surface you are generating a charge.

I really don't know any solution to this although if someone has successfully tried and can show me that a product exists to eliminate static I would definitely buy it (as long as it doesn't harm the paint).
Old 03-28-2011, 09:03 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Dealing with Dust: Recommendations on Wax/Detail Sprays

One of the first rules of paint care (especially noticeable with dark colours); the less you touch the paint surface; the less you’ll scratch it. Washing the car is the most efficient way of removing surface soil, dust, etc.

Quick Detailer (QD) - a typical quick detailer spray is formulated with 80 - 90 % Water, 0.5-1.5% Carnauba wax, 0.1 – 5% Silicone or Mineral oil, so they don’ have the inherent solvent content problems like spray waxes.

If you don’t have time for a two-bucket wash, then use a 1:20 Optimum (OPT) No Rinse Wash™ & Shine New Formula (ONR) / distilled water solution in a fine mist spray bottle.

The surfactants it contains encapsulate and trap dry surface dust, pollen or light dirt particles making them virtually non-abrasive and it can be used without causing scratches. Apply with a long nap micro fibre towel using very little surface pressure, dusting with long strokes in one direction only
Dust build-up-with low humidity conditions and friction on the paint surface will cause static electricity (this is exacerbated by the use of polyester (nylon) Micro fibre) resulting in dust attraction to the paint surface.

Reduced dust attraction can be realised by using Finish Kare #425 - Ultra Slick Polywipe contains polymer for lubricity, anti-corrosive agents, UV inhibitors and patented anti-static agents that gently remove fingerprints, smudges, and other light contaminates and reduced dust attraction.

Heavy Dust

To remove heavy dust use Optimum (OPT) No Rinse Wash™ & Shine New Formula (ONR) a quick ‘wash’; formulated with surfactants to keep dirt in suspension, avoiding surface contact, it also provides surface lubrication, thereby avoiding surface marring. Alternatively use Optimum Instant Detailer - this formulation penetrates and encapsulates light dust (pollen) dirt, and grime, allowing for their removal without scratching or dulling the surface. As soon as is practical, thoroughly rinse the vehicle with a hose and clean water to ensure all the pollen is removed.

Light Surface Dust

To remove light, dry surface dust without causing scratches apply very little surface pressure, dusting with long strokes in one direction only, use a product that contains a surfactant; this will lessen surface scratching as they ‘lift’ dust etc into the media used avoiding surface friction (use a solution of Optimum™ no-rinse (ONR) diluted 1:20 / distilled water in a fine mist spray bottle) or Optimum ™ Instant Detailer.

Do not use on a hot paint surface (soon after driving) as this will cause streaking?

Use a long nap micro fibre towel to ensure the dust lifted from the paint surface will remain in the nap and not on the towel surface thereby causing surface marring. Shake the towel occasionally to ensure any particles picked up will drop out rather than come to the surface while you’re using it.

It important to use this methodology only for the removal of dry surface dust, don’t use if surface has condensation or dew, or if the vehicle has oily road film, road tar, damp pollen or dust, etc in these instances the vehicle surface should be subjected to a conventional or Optimum (OPT) No Rinse Wash™ & Shine New Formula (ONR) car washing process

Use a long nap micro fibre towel to ensure the dust lifted from the paint surface will remain in the nap and not on the towel surface thereby causing surface marring. Shake the towel occasionally to ensure any particles picked up will drop out rather than come to the surface while you’re using it

{Knowledge Management} - Treating experience as a shared asset. If this article was informative and you learned something new, or have any questions feel free to comment. We would love if you shared this article with your friends on Facebook and Twitter or linked to it from your website or blog- Thanks

Also see my Blog for constantly updated detailing info http://togwt1980.blogspot.com/atom.xml

Old 03-28-2011, 09:06 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Any wax or sealant I've ever used has always increased the static charge on the surface of the paint which makes total sense when you think about it. Static is generated by rubbing a surface so when you wipe the wax/sealant from the surface you are generating a charge.

I really don't know any solution to this although if someone has successfully tried and can show me that a product exists to eliminate static I would definitely buy it (as long as it doesn't harm the paint).
Dust build-up-with low humidity conditions and friction on the paint surface will cause static electricity (this is exacerbated by the use of polyester (nylon) Micro fibre) resulting in dust attraction to the paint surface. .Reduced dust attraction Finish Kare #425 - Ultra Slick Polywipe contains polymer for lubricity, anti-corrosive agents, UV inhibitors and patented anti-static agents that gently remove fingerprints, smudges, and other light contaminates and reduced dust attraction.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:16 PM
ClintonM3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am surprise nobody mentioned California duster. I don't apply pressure on it. Just drag from top to bottom. I haven't found a quick detail spray tht is a clear winner, I usually use a reputable brand and clean microfiber towels, lots of it. Again, I don't rub it in or wipe with force. If the paint was prep'd well, the towel will feel like it is sliding itself.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:45 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by ClintonM3
I am surprise nobody mentioned California duster. I don't apply pressure on it. Just drag from top to bottom. I haven't found a quick detail spray tht is a clear winner, I usually use a reputable brand and clean microfiber towels, lots of it. Again, I don't rub it in or wipe with force. If the paint was prep'd well, the towel will feel like it is sliding itself.
I also use a California duster and have had no problems with it. It's a good way to remove a light layer of the dust so you don't need as much detail spray or 5 microfibers to clean one car. If you treat it with the same care as your microfibers the dusters work well.

In my best Jeremy Clarkson voice......Some say that California Dusters can cause scratching, but I havn't found that to be the case.

Now that I own a black car I will gain more experience with what products work well and I'm sure I will be posting my feedback here.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:50 PM
Einsteiger
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts

I use primarily Meguiar's sealants/waxes, so I use their Ultimate Quick Detailer spray. Great results. It may not be a valid rationale, but I tend to use products from the same manufacturer, just for compatibility. Meguiars with Meguiars as mentioned, Griot's Speed Shine as a detail spray if I've used one of their waxes, etc.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:51 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Using products from a single mfg line is a safe and valid rationale; however most chemicals used in car care products are pretty basic and are usually compatible with each other.

Having said that, it’s great marketing strategy to convince the buyer of synergistic compatibility, by stating that that to obtain the best results you should stay within one company's line of products throughout the entire process (i.e. paint cleaner, polish, wax or sealant). Further stating that the reason for this is that the chemists that develop these products make sure they are compatible throughout the entire process. Each step building upon the results achieved by the previous product and process

This is marketing fiction more than scientific fact

Last edited by TOGWT; 03-31-2011 at 11:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Dealing with Dust: Recommendations on Wax/Detail Sprays