Notices

How do you Deatil these

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 10:31 PM
zero9nine
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How do you Deatil these

The rear Sway bar links on my 964 are pretty nasty. The gold anodizing comes off really easy. What is the best way to clean these to make them look new?
Attached Images  
Old 03-24-2011, 10:41 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Since it's plated you will need to be really careful with what chemicals you use. When I was cleaning my engine parts I used a combination of citrus degreaser (P21S Total Autowash) and Brake Cleaner.

Make sure you use the brake cleaner outdoors otherwise the fumes will knock you out.

If you need to scrub use a nylon brush (medium toothbrush) and rinse the brush frequently to avoid build up of dirt.

Last suggestion, patience. It takes time to achieve perfection and if you rush it you're liable to cause more harm than good.

Make sure you regrease the drop links with the appropriate grease.

Good luck
Old 03-25-2011, 12:27 AM
zero9nine
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info. I'll give it a go.

There is some significant caked on crap plus a bit of pitting. Gonna try my best.

John
Old 03-25-2011, 09:34 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

John there's nothing you can do about pitting other than replating or replacing.

For concours I doubt some minor pitting on suspension parts will cost you that many points. Focus on making everything clean and elminating any rusty, damaged or worn parts. Since light doesn't hit under the car most judges will rely on touch to find out if you did a nice job cleaning and restoring.

Good luck.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:55 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 770 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Since it's plated you will need to be really careful with what chemicals you use. When I was cleaning my engine parts I used a combination of citrus degreaser (P21S Total Autowash) and Brake Cleaner.

Make sure you use the brake cleaner outdoors otherwise the fumes will knock you out.

If you need to scrub use a nylon brush (medium toothbrush) and rinse the brush frequently to avoid build up of dirt.

Last suggestion, patience. It takes time to achieve perfection and if you rush it you're liable to cause more harm than good.

Make sure you regrease the drop links with the appropriate grease.

Good luck
+1...well-said Afshin.

Quick Reply: How do you Deatil these