Notices

944 S2 cab top.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 07:08 PM
944mojo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944 S2 cab top.

Hi guys, is there a way to keep your soft top looking dark black as opposed to dull black after washing. Its a new top, less than a year old.

Richard.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:29 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rode & Schwalenbert Global Minority Business Network (GMBN) Germany the world leading manufacturer of automobile convertible tops exclusively recommends Wolfsteins Pro-Series RaggTopp ™ Cleaner and RaggTopp ™ Protectant Developed specifically for cleaning, re-proofing and preserving convertible tops, these cleaning kits consist of two products:

1. Cleaner to remove soiling, stains and atmospheric pollution for both natural and synthetic materials. The best cleaners are formulated from low-pH (low alkalinity) and gentle enough for repeated use over years. They will rely on proteins and enzymes for their safe, but effective, cleaning power.

2. Fabric protector to re-proof and preserve fabric tops from the effects of water absorption, surface soiling and staining, and provide a sunscreen from UV radiation and subsequent fading, and it repels dirt, grease, and oil. It doesn’t make your vinyl top glossy or greasy-looking. It will have the natural matte sheen of new vinyl.

These products are environmentally friendly, biodegradable and non-toxic

Convertible Top Cleaning / Care

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/car-...-top-care.html

Renovo Soft Top Reviver

Available in Black, Dark Blue Green and Brown to match your convertible tops's hood Soft top car care that will make your convertible tops like new again, great for classic and modern convertible tops
- http://www.renovointernational.com/
Old 03-03-2011, 01:57 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Just a heads up, the company name was changed to Haartz Group (buyout). Here's the link to the cleaning as already noted: http://www.haartz.com/en/products/co...ning_guide.asp
Old 03-03-2011, 06:51 PM
944mojo
Intermediate

Thanks for the info
Old 03-04-2011, 03:14 AM
PennyWise
Racer

I use the AutoGlyms cab fabric hood cleaner. Works very well here with lots of rain, dust and sun.

http://www.autoglym.com/enGB/product...6VQ=GG&Range=1
Old 03-04-2011, 09:46 AM
detailersdomain
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Richard,

You can take a look at this.

Raggtopp Cleaner and Fabric Protectant
tel: 201-233-0003
Promo code is rennlist for 10% off anything on the site
Current Sales and Updates
Old 03-04-2011, 01:36 PM
Zurichgnome
Instructor

This is a good question and one that I think is under discussed given the nature and cost of soft tops.

I'm surprised that RaggTop, 303, Bimini or 3M don't really say anything other than "protects against UV Rays." For the type of application they are selling into you would think they would try to compete on that critical point. As they don't, my guess is that a lot convertible protector sprays are just repackaged Scotch guard or minor variants of the same. Although I'm sure they all claim proprietary formula (+- 2 ounces of water and scent!!).

There are some marine products that are specific UV blockers for outdoor fabrics, I think one is called SunArmor it seems to have pretty good reviews. It's a two-step system: first UV protection. Then coat with water/stain repell. I may try that this summer if I can locate. Looks like they may have gone belly up.

Last edited by Zurichgnome; 03-04-2011 at 02:10 PM.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:46 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by Zurichgnome
This is a good question and one that I think is under discussed given the nature and cost of soft tops.

I'm surprised that RaggTop, 303, Bimini or 3M don't really say anything other than "protects against UV Rays." For the type of application they are selling into you would think they would try to compete on that critical point. As they don't, my guess is that a lot convertible protector sprays are just repackaged Scotch guard or variants of the same. Although I'm sure they all claim proprietary formula (+- 2 ounces of water and scent!!).

There are some marine products that are specific UV blockers for outdoor fabrics, I think one is called SunArmor it seems to have pretty good reviews. It's a two-step system: first UV protection. Then coat with water/stain repell. I may try that this summer.
Keep us posted if you try SunArmor, I know I definitely want to know more.

I have never had a convertible so I really truthfully do not know much about care and maintenance. But with the Spyder due in a month I am going to have to learn ASAP.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:43 PM
ron.eddy
Advanced

I've been really thinking about getting the Renovo product from the U.K. Its pricy at > $100 for the set of 4 products but I have heard good things and the youtube videos make me think it works. But I was wondering if anyone here has tried it that could confirm that?
Old 05-24-2011, 09:39 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Ultra violet stabilizer - Ultra violet light (UV-B) radiation and environmental contaminant exposure leads to photo degradation of materials and surface staining. But before UV light can cause harm, it must first be absorbed. If it is not turned into heat or transferred to a nearby stabilizer molecule called a quencher, it breaks weak chemical bonds. This is the beginning of UV damage. Some materials absorb UV light more readily than other materials.

Be cognizant that ultra violet heat (UV-A) radiation can also affect the structural integrity of materials by drying out and therefore removing their elasticity and causing cracks.

There is no such thing as a permanent UV stabilizer, it a matter of physics, not chemistry. Ultra violet protection is a sacrificial and therefore a renewable protection; this is due to the UV protection layer being degraded by exposure to the elements (sun, sand, road or sea salt, and etc) so it is imperative that you renew it and it needs to be re-applied on a regular 45 to 60 day basis (dependent upon location climatic condition)

FWIW- 303 Space Protectant is the best UV protection I found thus far. It is worth noting that UV protection must be renewed periodically, so find a product that works and is not overpriced
Old 05-24-2011, 11:12 AM
Zurichgnome
Instructor

Spoke to canvas company rep at a local boat show. The guy knew his stuff -- he said the only way to protect canvas fabric from UV damage is to use something like 303 or Raggtop "frequently." He favors a "soaking" base coat at least once a year and a "misting" after every few washings. The soap will take the coating off faster than the rain will.

Sounds reasonable.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:01 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

[...As they don't, my guess is that a lot convertible protector sprays are just repackaged Scotch guard or minor variants of the same. Although I'm sure they all claim proprietary formula (+- 2 ounces of water and scent!!).]

Scotchgard is a fluorinated product that is more suited to fabric upholstery or carpets as it coats fibres providing protection
Old 05-25-2011, 08:08 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

UV protection is surrounded by myths and misinformation; most people believe that Carnauba wax and polymer sealants contain natural UV (stabilizers) protection (they are an (expensive) additive) or that the clear coat provides a permanent UV protection.

There is no such thing as a permanent UV stabilizer, it a matter of physics, not chemistry. Ultra violet protection is a sacrificial and therefore a renewable protection; this is due to the UV protection layer being degraded by exposure to the elements (sun, sand, road or sea salt, and etc) so it is imperative that you renew it and it needs to be re-applied on a regular 45 to 60 day basis (dependent upon location climatic condition)
Old 05-25-2011, 03:32 PM
Zurichgnome
Instructor

3M reformulated Scotchguard several years back to get out of PFOS and substituted a non-perfluoro. Doesn't work as well but everything is a trade-off!

100% agree with you on the UV issue -- regular "topping it up" is the only way to go.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:38 PM
B r i a n
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Not to high jack this thread, but I cleaned the soft top today with Raggtop cleaner.
I let it dry and taped off around the fabric. I started using the Raggtopp protector and the spray stopped working after about 15 seconds. Having started and not being able to fix the spray, I just punctured the can and filled the contents into a plastic bowl and applied with a black foam brush. Seemed to work - really sucked into the cloth. I ended up using the whole can on my 996 top. Has anyone else experienced this. Does anyone see a problem with this?

Quick Reply: 944 S2 cab top.