Notices

non Porsche daily driver wax recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 12:37 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Lewis it's always good to get feedback. Collinite Insulator and most synthetics for that matter really lack in the depth and gloss IMHO. THey're really only good at maintaining an already well prepped surface.
Old 07-04-2010, 01:10 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I sort of knew that going in, but I just wanted to see since I hadn't used anything like this before.
My son's car really should have had a full surface prep (at least clay bar), but that will probably happen in the fall.

If the 845 and 850 work as advertised, I'll do it again (heated garage) right before winter.

Next up is my new Golf TDI...and I'm not looking forward to installing the Xpel headlight film that arrived on Friday....never had luck installing that stuff
Old 07-04-2010, 01:15 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc

If the 845 and 850 work as advertised, I'll do it again (heated garage) right before winter.:
So jealous of the heated garage!

Epoxy on the floors and heated garage are top on my list of things I want to do.

Definitely let us know how long the combination lasts.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:54 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Will do.
OT, but the heated garage was a very simple and economical installation.
I purchased a Modine ceiling mount gas space heater from my local plumbing supply house (scratch and dent, so price was discounted), my local heating company gives the propane tank and connection for free (since I buy my propane from them), and the mechanical install was a simple pair of threaded rods connected to a 2x4 between 2 ceiling joists.
The whole thing was about $700 total and can run a full winter at 45deg on about 100 gallon LP.
45deg is perfect for melting snow and ice, but if I want to wash/wax in winter, just kick it up to 70deg and in about 30 minutes it is t-shirt weather indoors.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:20 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Did a second car this morning, just to see how 845 works in high humidity environments (since the dew point at 7AM was about 75deg and it was already 82)....indoor sauna in the garage.

No problems as far as I can tell (being a clueless detailing hack).
Went on and came off as easily as it did a few days ago when it was much drier.
It also does not seem to stain 'black trim', as I did get a little bit on the rear black plastic fascia but wiped it off immediately and no sign of staining.
It doesn't really make very much 'white wax dust', since it goes on very very thin.

So far so good, now we just have to wait and see how long it holds up.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:02 PM
XPEL
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Next up is my new Golf TDI...and I'm not looking forward to installing the Xpel headlight film that arrived on Friday....never had luck installing that stuff
Let me know if you need any help installing the headlamp covers. I have some experience

Cell: 210-315-8300

Old 07-09-2010, 12:47 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by XPEL Technologies
Let me know if you need any help installing the headlamp covers. I have some experience

Cell: 210-315-8300
What, you didn't hear me cursing?

Needless to say, it didn't go very well. I watched the video, I had my heat gun, I had my alcohol/water spray bottle....

I'm sure at some point I'll have to remove them and have a professional install new ones, unless I get used to bubbles and trapped fluid/white spots under the film.

And to think I don't even drink.

Thank you for the offer though, it is appreciated.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:20 PM
PHDX2
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
...I'm sure at some point I'll have to remove them and have a professional install new ones, unless I get used to bubbles and trapped fluid/white spots under the film.
Sorry to hear that the install didn't go well. Can't comment on the bubbles, as my install was bubble-free. Didn't use a heat gun, as on the install day, it was blazing hot, keeping the film soft. As for the white spots, though, expect them to disappear in a few days. I'm sure XPEL will chime in, but I thought I'd share a few comments in the meantime.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:43 PM
Pat
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm surprised at the lack of suggestions for sythetic wax. It lasts much longer but doesn't have that last ounce of depth to it. Great option for a DD like the Golf. Less expensive and will probably fit your needs better. Consider something like Prima Epic.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:33 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pat
I'm surprised at the lack of suggestions for sythetic wax. It lasts much longer but doesn't have that last ounce of depth to it. Great option for a DD like the Golf. Less expensive and will probably fit your needs better. Consider something like Prima Epic.
Collinite is a synthetic.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:31 PM
Priceless
Racer

used P21s carnuba on my 933 last night for the 1st time...wow, i like it. i use xymol on other cars...but may switch to P21??? i will have to see how long it lasts...
Old 07-13-2010, 05:30 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Collinite is a synthetic.
And after a first rain test (torrential/flooding rain) while out driving, it beads water exceptionally well....once parked and left to dry, there was virtually no dirt on the car.

So far 845 is cheap and easy to use....if I get 5 months out of it it will have been worth it.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:32 PM
Pat
Advanced

Oh, I've never used Colinite. Didn't realize it was synthetic, so thank you. Has anyone here done a direct comparison with Colinite and other synthetics?
Old 07-13-2010, 05:35 PM
Pat
Advanced

Wait, I just visited the Collinite website and saw this:
"They have discovered that Collinite Marque d'Elegance gives their valuable automotive investments a blinding, lasting shine because its formulated from the highest-ever concentration of pure Carnauba waxes."
Not sure which Collinite product you were referring to, but MdE is certainly not synthetic.

Quick Reply: non Porsche daily driver wax recommendation