What to do with this scratch?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 11:54 PM
mx22
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do with this scratch?

Hi guys,

Not sure if I'm posting this in the right section, but it seems to be the most appropriet one...

My recently bought 928 has this scratch on the right front wing. Looks like it was covered with some paint, but its far from being a match plus scratch is rather deep so I want it fixed. What is the best way to fix it? Is it something that I can do myself or the car/wing needs to go to the paint shop?

Thank You!
Attached Images  
Old 05-04-2010, 06:28 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Deep Scratches

A surface scratch that will `catch' your fingernail is approximately 0.04 Mil (1.0 µ) deep will usually require wet sanding and the clear coat refinishing

Removing a scratch requires removing the layer of paint that contains the defect; you need to level the paint to the lowest point of the scratch. Removing more that 0.5 mil (12µ) of clear coat will cause premature paint film failure as UV protection percolates to the top of the clear coat. Check paint film thickness with a Paint Thickness Meter (PTG) before you attempt to remove
As you go over a deep scratch, the abrasives round off the edges of the high spots of the scratch. The result is a shallower scratch (when no full correction can be made) rounded edges don’t reflect light the same way a sharp edge will and is therefore less noticeable.

It may be necessary to carry out some localized wet sanding to facilitate full removal of any deep scratches, once again, paint thickness must be checked, and if the paint is too thin wet sanding should not be considered

Note: metallic paint is very difficult to match as the flakes won’t ‘lay down’ like OEM applied paint.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:31 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I plan on going to the PCA Concours event in Long Island in two weeks, if you plan on going I can walk you through the steps to repair it. It won't be perfect but it will look much better than it does now.

Alternative to using touch up paint is a respray with appropriate blending into other panels.

Last edited by Marine Blue; 05-04-2010 at 10:37 PM.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:43 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 738 Likes on 390 Posts

That is a pretty deep scratch. To repair it properly, you will need a repaint.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:11 PM
mx22
Burning Brakes

I guess I will have to take car to a paint shop at the end of this year's driving season and let them repaint it. Paint is original Red Guards, so I assume a respray of the left wing should be sufficient, right?

Anyone knows a good paint shop in NYC area?

Marine Blue - will send you PM in a minute, will definitely love to meet up!

Thank You!
Old 05-04-2010, 10:29 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

You got a single stage paint. You can try & wet sand the area to get the paint flat, but there is a chance you will go through the good paint in doing it. You need a very small piece of sand paper. I would use a regular school pink eraser as a backing for the sand paper, use 3000, or higher grit.

Of course after you will need to polish the area, it looks like the paint needs to be polished form the pics.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:35 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

That is a deep enough scratch that it will definitely need touch up or professional paint repair.

With proper technique and some serious patience you can make it look good but not perfect. Good enough for concours and personally I would prefer it over a respray to maintain the original paint.

I'll respond to your PM and when we meet at the concours I'll show you a similar scratch on my 928 which I repaired. Not as long as yours but definitely to bare metal.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:37 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

PS, your paint can use some buffing too. Those swirls are easily correctable with polishing.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:53 PM
mx22
Burning Brakes

Afshin,

Just replied to you. The car indeed could use a lot of cleaning/buffing - I simply do not know where to start and what to use...

Thank You!

Quick Reply: What to do with this scratch?