Notices

User Opinions: Porter Cable 7424 XP

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 08:01 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IMO the Menzerna line of polishes are amoungst the best (if not the best) available
Old 07-16-2010, 10:15 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 449 Posts

Well I'm back from an extended vacation and ready to buy my Flex polisher and pads.

Now its just a matter of waiting for Phil to post another special.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:52 PM
gt3racerich
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

I am trying to decide on a polisher as well. After reading these 4 pages, did someone say the Flex is to fast for wax?
I have to do two cars that do not have any damage (one is new). All I will be doing is sealent and wax (no polishing).
The flex would not be a good choice?
Thanks, Rich
Old 07-17-2010, 05:11 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 708 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by gt3racerich
I am trying to decide on a polisher as well. After reading these 4 pages, did someone say the Flex is to fast for wax?
I have to do two cars that do not have any damage (one is new). All I will be doing is sealent and wax (no polishing).
The flex would not be a good choice?
Thanks, Rich
Flex can definitely be used to wax your car. You would use it on setting 3 with a red ccs foam pad. However, if all you need is something to apply wax, then flex is overkill. You're better off with a PC:

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...olisher/Detail

But IMHO, there's always a use for the flex and you'll definitely need to machine polish your paint somewhere down the line. Eventually, you'll get microscratches from washing and drying the car and depending on how meticulous you are, you'll see these imperfections in the paint finish. But for your needs now, a PC is a better choice.
Old 07-17-2010, 05:13 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Well I'm back from an extended vacation and ready to buy my Flex polisher and pads.

Now its just a matter of waiting for Phil to post another special.
Here's a couple of specials on kits that include the flex:

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...its/Categories

There aren't too many "deals" on the flex since there's not a whole lot of margin in the unit.
Old 07-18-2010, 03:24 PM
gt3racerich
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks Moe.
Rich
Old 08-01-2010, 01:36 AM
johnnyreb2010
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to have a look at the Porter Cable 7424XP today. Unfortunately, the store had a anti-theft device around each box, so I couldn't open it up to have a look, but I did get a feel for the weight. Acceptable!

At least the price got me to .

$229.99 up here at Canadian Tire, a 475 store country-wide chain.
$119.99 at AutoGeeek.
I wonder how many pads and polish I can get for that extra $110?

Little wonder I don't shop in this country very often.
i think thats the starter kit, you get one of each pad, i think its around 8 but thats the best option & best price, that is if it is the starter kit your looking at, but it will definitely get you started, but make sure you get the back plate & wrench.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:44 AM
johnnyreb2010
Instructor

Originally Posted by GlisteningTech
Having direct experience with the Flex, I have to highly recommend it if you are searching for a highly effective orbital polisher.

Here is a little bit of a technical breakdown of the different polishers. Keep in mind that with either of these polishers, the pads and polish that you are going to use are going to be similar, so those are effectively not part of the equation.

The Flex has a 7.5 amp motor, in comparison to the 4.5amp which powers the Meguiars G110 and the Porter Cable. The working range of Oscillations Per Minute on the Porter Cable and the G110 is just as wide as the Flex, but lower. The G110 has a slowest speed of about 1800, the Porter Cable is 2500. Those are both slower than the Flex which has a slowest speed of 3200. That is a benefit for both of those machines if you are using it for wax application, where slower is definitely better. On the high end however, which is the speed that you require for removing more defects, the highest speed of the PC or the Meguiars is roughly 6800 or so, whereas the Flex goes all the way to 9600.

The Flex also has a forced rotation, which means that if you apply pressure to it, it will continue to rotate rather than just orbit, that aids in its corrective ability. The Meguiars unit has what they call "cruise control" which is probably the same thing, I haven't used it, but their product description says that it will continue to work even under applied pressure, so it could be similar.

The bottom line in comparison of simple numbers, is that the Flex is considerably more powerful than the other two. Its layout is also a little bit better. It has a trigger for a speed control, which is great. It is laid out a lot like a rotary, so it is really user friendly. The Porter Cable and the Meguiars both have a simple on or off switch with a speed control. So they are great for use with one hand, but for using two it is a little more difficult.

I would really judge them all on their ability to be a complete and functional tool. The Flex is easy to use, doesn't have a steep learning curve, and is extremely capable as a tool. Even doing our full paint correction details, we still heavily rely on the Flex because of its ability to due the job while severely minimizing the risk of damaging the paint surface. It corrects well, finishes great, and takes a lot of the stress and thought out of the polishing process. From the first time that I used it I thought that it was the best tool for the DIYer, and two years later, after countless hours using it, I can't possibly agree any more.

We have a kit on our site that includes the Flex, Pads, Polish and Towels. Be sure to input your promo code to get 10% off of your entire order.

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...sh-Kits/Detail
sounds like the flex is for the more experienced buffer, in the wrong hands it could do some damage, which i know any of these 3 have the capabilities for that, but on most of all porsche sites i've been on, it seems they have always recommended the 7424xp, at least when i started thats what they said. imhp, i'm sure their capable of handling the job.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:57 AM
johnnyreb2010
Instructor

Originally Posted by MoeMistry
We use the FLEX at least 4-5 times each month Alex. If you're considering the Griot's over the FLEX, I'd highly recommend the latter.

I'm pretty confident the Griot's is not a relabeled PC...I've used both, and they're not the same. Griot's version is more sturdy, better built, and more quiet.

The FLEX is a work horse that is VERY well-built and it's a tool you will not outgrow. Think about it...we use it over the rotary 80% of the time. Let me know if you have specific questions on the units. Here are a few items you may want to consider..

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...2C-dual/Detail

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...sh-Kits/Detail
the flex looks like its about 2xx more expensive, is that a mis-print?
Old 08-01-2010, 08:38 AM
95_993
Race Car

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts

I used my Porter Cable for the first time yesterday....very happy with it. Before attacking the Pcar, I started with my wifes black Toyota Highlander. Used Mezerma Super Intensive and P085 fine two step. Took about 6 hrs (big car), but I am happy with the results. Very forgiving machine and combination. Not too aggressive. Next time I might pick up some smaller dia. pads to really get into the tight spaces. Wasn't too heavy. However, I am not doing this every day, all day.

Thumbs up on the PC!
Old 08-01-2010, 02:14 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

PC is enough to get some serious work done. Flex is probably better if you intend to use it often or professionally, otherwise I think it's overkill.
Old 08-01-2010, 03:57 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by MoeMistry
The FLEX is a work horse that is VERY well-built and it's a tool you will not outgrow.
Which is why I went for it. Construction is first rate and it is relatively quiet.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:09 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by johnnyreb2010
sounds like the flex is for the more experienced buffer, in the wrong hands it could do some damage, which i know any of these 3 have the capabilities for that, but on most of all porsche sites i've been on, it seems they have always recommended the 7424xp, at least when i started thats what they said. imhp, i'm sure their capable of handling the job.
Actually, the flex xc3401 shouldn't intimidate you at all. Very user-friendly and a much better VALUE than the PC. It all comes down to what your time is worth. If you could accomplish better results than the pc, in 30-40% less time, and have the tool grow with you, is it worth the extra $170 dollars? My answer would be yes. Time is money.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:11 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by johnnyreb2010
the flex looks like its about 2xx more expensive, is that a mis-print?
No...you're buying a tool that's built to last and made in Germany. The PC is made in china or mexico. Not a bad tool of money is an object. That's why we sell both the PC and the FLEX. At the end of the day, we want to make sure our clients are happy and enjoy the art of detailing. PC isn't a bad tool; the flex is just more efficient and more pleasant to work with.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:05 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,072 Likes on 1,183 Posts

I've always said, buy quality, buy once. Poor people can't afford to buy junk and rich people don't. I'm not the latter.
Then buy a Makita or DeWalt buffer.

Quick Reply: User Opinions: Porter Cable 7424 XP