Notices

User Opinions: Porter Cable 7424 XP

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010 | 08:08 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Default User Opinions: Porter Cable 7424 XP

Users of this polisher...how do you like it?

How does it handle/feel after an hour of use?

Cheapest place to buy? So far, AutoGeek has come in at $119...are there any better out there?
Old 03-29-2010 | 11:17 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have the Griots version and I love it. More powerful so it doesn't bog down when using larger pads. You can also press harder and get more work done. Make sure the kit includes the backing plate.
Old 03-30-2010 | 09:19 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

For reference I've also owned the older 7424. The overall feel of the two is very similar in terms of vibration, weight and dimensions. The difference is the higher powered motor and increased oscillation. It does seem to tear through pads faster which may be due to the ability to increase pressure without bogging down the motor.

Fatigue isn't too bad and I can typically handle a few hours of polishing without a problem. The blood will rush to your hands and arms initially but that dissipates quickly. I don't notice any pain in my arms or hands the day after using it. Note that I use it enough that I may have ajdusted to it, someone using it once a year may note some soreness in the arm muscles.

They are loud so you should consider ear protection. I use earbud headphones since they cancel 50% of the noise and I can enjoy some tunes.

I haven't used a Flex yet so I can't really offer a comparison. A rotary is much easier and faster but I wouldn't recommend one unless you're practiced.
Old 03-30-2010 | 11:07 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the input so far.

I have a cheapo 10" orbital which has done the job so far. Its not heavy, but I find it too big to use, so I'm looking for a quality 5 or 6 inch orbital.

I know about them being loud. I use those yellow foam EAR plugs when I'm polishing/waxing. I keep a set in the unused ashtray of the Carrera as well.
Old 03-30-2010 | 11:27 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Alex when I was a teenager learning how to polish I borrowed my friends 10" Orbital all the time. I can tell you that comparing the two is like Apples and Oranges. It would be the equivalent of comparing handheld screw driver you buy as a gift for Christmas to a Milwaukee Multispeed Drill.

You won't be disappointed in the results, ease of use or versatility.
Old 03-30-2010 | 11:34 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
You won't be disappointed in the results, ease of use or versatility.
I'm looking forward to it!

I remember spending at least 40 hours doing my BMW by hand, but the end result was a wet look.

I got very good results with the 10 inch orbital on my daily driver, but it is too cumbersome to use and I'm sure using professional pads will make a big difference.

I did use higher end polishes and waxes, so that might have helped.
Old 03-30-2010 | 11:45 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Using a good polish will definitely help but without the right pads and the power you will never get the full benefit of a good polishing compound.

After using that 10" Orbital my friend (local body shop owner) taught me how to use a rotary and let me borrow it for a weekend. The results were nothing short of amazing and I was only using one of 3M's milded finishing glazes in their Finesse It Line. It was a black liquid, can't remember what the heck it was now.

Hopefully others will chime in about the Flex so you can determine what is best, I've heard great things about it too.
Old 03-30-2010 | 07:34 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

I went to have a look at the Porter Cable 7424XP today. Unfortunately, the store had a anti-theft device around each box, so I couldn't open it up to have a look, but I did get a feel for the weight. Acceptable!

At least the price got me to .

$229.99 up here at Canadian Tire, a 475 store country-wide chain.
$119.99 at AutoGeeek.
I wonder how many pads and polish I can get for that extra $110?

Little wonder I don't shop in this country very often.
Old 03-30-2010 | 10:04 PM
arjag
Instructor

Alex,
I have the PC, bought it here in Canada for $119. Shop around and don't pay the Canadian Tire price. So far I love it. Nothing bad to say at all. I can't compare it to the Flex which seems to be the other popular brand. It will take a little getting used to but the results compared to doing it by hand, which I have done for years, is amazing. You will thank yourself.
Old 03-30-2010 | 10:13 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by arjag
Alex,
I have the PC, bought it here in Canada for $119. Shop around and don't pay the Canadian Tire price.
Oh trust me, I won't.

Where did you get it? PM me if you prefer not to mention it on-line.
Old 03-31-2010 | 07:21 AM
arjag
Instructor

I bought it at e-shine (http://www.eshine.ca/) Canada. It was a sale at the time I bought it. They were actually pretty helpful in my decision to buy the PC vs the Flex even though they could have made more money selling me the Flex.
Old 03-31-2010 | 09:38 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

I bought it at e-shine (http://www.eshine.ca/) Canada. It was a sale at the time I bought it.
I came across their site yesterday while doing a search. They're up to $165.99 now, so I'll just order it stateside.

Thanks for the feedback and info.
Old 03-31-2010 | 04:10 PM
arjag
Instructor

Alex,
Have fun with it. After polishing by hand. like I have done. the weight and vibration after an hour of using the PC are a non-issue. It's a great little rig. You can always search YouTube for the countless instructional videos about the use of your new toy. I would be interested in feedback on the Menzerna products vs. the 3M products. I have always used the 3M products but I am curious about trying Menzerna after all that I have read about them on this site.
Old 03-31-2010 | 05:44 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Alex,
I would be interested in feedback on the Menzerna products vs. the 3M products.
I have used neither.

I use Meguiar's professional products...must be because I'm car crazy.
Old 03-31-2010 | 05:57 PM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

Well as a new PC user I can only offer recent and 'newbie' user type inputs. Never having used other types of random orbitals I can only share my views from the PC.

I will say that from initial use and only having been able to polish my bumper and hood that the PC is a joy to use (roughly 2+ hrs of use). As stated above it does have it's vibrations and noise which caught me a bit off guard at first but soon I was over it. It's light to use/move around with weight to keep it planted to the body panel. I use the 6.5" Lake Country CCS pads and counter weight and found the polisher easy to handle from start to finish with plenty of power for my light swirled needs. I assume if there are deeper paint blemishes the PC would be tested a bit better but from my observations it has plenty of power.

I highly recommend it though because the self satisfaction of using a proper random orbital on your pride and joy is priceless and the whole process is one hell of a stress reliever!

AutoGeek is the place i bought my PC and used Detailers Domain (Rennlist Sponsor) for all my polishing needs.

Quick Reply: User Opinions: Porter Cable 7424 XP