Notices

Any legit courses in detailing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 04:45 PM
Bergamasco
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Any legit courses in detailing?

Just wondering if there are any really top notch courses available in detailing for someone who would like to know more about this science/art. Has anyone attended any weekend type seminars that were really impressive? Thanks in advance - Glenn
Old 03-22-2010, 06:31 PM
Cosmin
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had chance to meet mike phillips on one of his road trips. meguiar`s and autogeek have seminars. you learn a lot in this seminars.
or find a good detailer in your area and speak with him.
this will be the easy for your wallet.
if money are not a problem than are some big training companies that teach everything from wash a car , clean a carpet ,steam , extractor , buff/polish but will charge from 800 up for 3-5 days
Old 03-22-2010, 08:20 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

What do you want to know?

I'm planning on hosting a detailing seminar this summer for the local guys, you are more than welcome to make the trip down as long as I get a ride in the TT! PS you have to also be willing to leave the TT in my garage for a couple of weeks, I promise I'll take good care of it!
Old 03-23-2010, 12:14 AM
GlisteningTech
Advanced

If you ever make your way to Southern California we put on Tech Sessions quite often that are pretty in depth seminars on detailing how-to. We cover a lot of different topics, everything from proper washing technique to proper polishing form.

If you have any questions, let me know and I would be glad to fill you in and help out as much as possible.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:50 AM
detailersdomain
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how far did you want to go in your process?

you can fly out to various 1-2 day courses.
tel: 201-233-0003
Promo code is rennlist for 10% off anything on the site
Current Sales and Updates
Old 03-23-2010, 08:32 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1. The Valugard Prepexcellence Program For professional training, they are an internationally renowned training program, which certifies detailers from around the world in diagnostic and renovation repair skills on paint. Engineers from major car manufacturers have attended the course. Automotive International Inc.
Cincinnati, Ohio (513)489-7883 or 800-543-7156
2. Renny Doyle Attention to Details - http://www.detailingsuccess.com/
3. Auto Detailing Seminar - Held monthly in San Diego, CA a two day seminar for professionals in the auto detailing industry Toll Free - 800.883.3446
4. IICRC Course Descriptions: Leather Cleaning Technician course - Welcome to the Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification! The Certifying Body for the Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Industry, Representing Certified Firms and Technicians World-Wide - International
5. KLEEN CAR (New Milford, New Jersey) provides detailed education for the detailing profession. This is the most comprehensive training program of its kind. This same program has been implemented by BMW of North America and is used to train their network of dealers. 888 – 302- 6400
6. (UK) Dave KG – 44+ 780 392 2610 - Machine Polishing Tuition 2009 - DA & Rotary - http://bit.ly/6LegJI
7. Car Care Products, 1300 006 007 - info@carcareproducts.com.au, Rozelle, New South Wales 2039

Detailing Books
1. Automotive Paint Handbook: Paint Technology for Auto Enthusiasts - John Pfanstiehl - 1998
2. Aircraft Cleaning, Polishing & Detailing Manual – Jet Stream Aviation Products
3. Start Your Own Automobile Detailing Business by Eileen Figure Sandlin
Old 03-23-2010, 11:04 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I learned a lot from our Chicago Region PCA. We have a yearly Concours School. I also learned a lot by competing in the local PCA Concours events and talking with other owners competing at the event. And, Phil, at Detailers Domain has been very helpful through e-mail questions.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:37 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

nohtwoo brings up a good point about learning from PCA and concours. Judges can offer suggestions regarding areas of your car that need attention and competitors can offer suggestions on how to perform certain tasks to properly detail your car. You can also just go to the shows, observe and ask questions. For example when I show my car I usually spend most of the day talking with people about how to detail and what products to buy. I've learned many tricks from fellow competitors and through experimentation of my own. When I judge I invite questions and will also meet with the car owners afterwards to offer recommendations.

Proper polishing technique should be taught by someone with years of experience and polishing product knowledge. As already noted, Meguiars offers a great class on proper technique and paint correction. I helped organize the very first show that Meguiars put on in Irvine back in 2002. I'm sure it's changed and improved considerably since then but the bottom line is that you are being tought by industry leaders with extensive knowledge and experience.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:37 PM
Bergamasco
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow... thanks a million guys! These are some really great suggestions. Ideally I would like to take a 2-3 day summer course. I would be prepared to travel to do it but I want to be learning from the real leaders in the industry.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:36 AM
GlisteningTech
Advanced

One of the benefits of the training that we offer is that it isn't centralized on either procedures or products, but a combination of both. The products that we offer our customers are the same products that we use on a daily basis on every car that we do.

We are not only active detailing cars for the PCA, but are actual PCA members as well. So for a Porsche owner, the training that we offer is centric on the vehicle itself as well which is invaluable. There is a large benefit to learning the basics of how to properly clean the vehicle, but when working on something similar to what you own you pick up on more than those basics, you learn some of the specifics that are unique to each vehicle as well.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:33 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GlisteningTech
One of the benefits of the training that we offer is that it isn't centralized on either procedures or products, but a combination of both. The products that we offer our customers are the same products that we use on a daily basis on every car that we do.

We are not only active detailing cars for the PCA, but are actual PCA members as well. So for a Porsche owner, the training that we offer is centric on the vehicle itself as well which is invaluable. There is a large benefit to learning the basics of how to properly clean the vehicle, but when working on something similar to what you own you pick up on more than those basics, you learn some of the specifics that are unique to each vehicle as well.
Can you PM me details of your training, as you can see I recommend courses in my on-line blog and Tech articles / books and would like to include yours
Old 03-24-2010, 10:49 AM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
What do you want to know?

I'm planning on hosting a detailing seminar this summer for the local guys, you are more than welcome to make the trip down as long as I get a ride in the TT! PS you have to also be willing to leave the TT in my garage for a couple of weeks, I promise I'll take good care of it!
Hi Marine Blue,

When you schedule your detailing seminar, please remember to put it on the Northeast/New England website. I'd like to attend if my schedule will allow for it. Thanks.

Best regards,
Dino
Old 03-24-2010, 11:05 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 768 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by TOGWT
Can you PM me details of your training, as you can see I recommend courses in my on-line blog and Tech articles / books and would like to include yours
Our tech sessions are custom tailored to each user or group. Since we're actual detailers, or look the part , we can keep it as simple as a wash routine or as advanced as polishing and paint correction or concours detailing. Most our clients want to learn how to properly maintain their vehicles after our details. So the basics of proper washing technique, cleaning wheel, drying, glass, conditioning various surfaces, etc. are covered. For some, they like to learn our Trinity method: Claying, Polishing, and Waxing. So, our services are based on what our clients need. We focus on the technique and efficient use of time and resources. Hope that helps a bit.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:07 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Thanks Moe I'll add it to the list
Old 03-25-2010, 12:16 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 768 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by TOGWT
Thanks Moe I'll add it to the list
Thanks Jon...you have a link to that list?

Quick Reply: Any legit courses in detailing?