Notices

Paint/Interior protection treatment...worth it or a waste?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 09:48 AM
detailersdomain
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would agree the protection is a bit of a waste and definitely the wheel/tire package, I bought that for my audi in 04 had a couple of claims and they didn't go thru.
tel: 201-233-0003
Promo code is rennlist for 10% off anything on the site
Current Sales and Updates
Old 01-30-2010, 04:01 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi Philip,

Thanks for confirming that I made the right choice not buying the "tire/wheel" insurance.

Have a great weekend.
Best regards,
Dino
Old 01-30-2010, 09:26 PM
detailersdomain
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

at the time of purchase I asked anything and everything right, they said yes..

well I got bubbles and they said its not covered but let's bring the car to the back and slash the sidewalls I said wtf! forget it.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:22 AM
pushtiulk
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And don't let them to put anything on leather. Go to a detailer and he will protect your car more than a dealer.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:26 AM
Rickrack
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The "paint protection package" the dealer tries to push on you is nothing but a cheap no-name product that they completely overcharge you for. Even if it is a brand name product, it is probably Simoniz, which I wouldn't even use on my lawn mower. I actually charge extra just to strip Simoniz out of paint! It is loaded with silicon and does not protect as well as a quality paint sealant. Being a professional detailer, I hear about people getting shafted all the time by the dealer for this so called "sealer wax", or whatever their fancy name for it is. They'll tell you that "you will never have to wax your car again", but if you read the fine print, you'll see that you're buying nothing but a warranty and need it reapplied every year. If you have any issues down the road and need paintwork done, it's like pulling teeth for them to agree to pay for it.

As for the clear-bra, I highly recommend having one installed. The dealer usually charges top dollar for them comapared to what I charge my customers, but even at what they charge, it is totally worth it. The key is finding a good installer that uses quality film. As with any business, there are lots of hacks out there, so do your research before choosing an installer. The installer is equally importatant as the brand of film you choose.

A quick clear-bra story: I performed a new car prep on a brand new 2010 Porsche 911 Turbo last week with only 40 miles on the odometer. The customer requested to have a clear-bra installed, but my installer told me the film was delayed a couple days, so he asked me if he could drive his car for the weekend and bring it back in Monday when the film came in. He called me Sunday night and told me that a rock got thrown up from another car, bounced off his hood twice and chipped the paint, leaving 2 small dings. Chances are, if he had waited the extra two days for the clear-bra, it probably would have just bounced off.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:38 AM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the story about the Turbo and paint chip. I'm sure the owner is sorry he didn't wait for the clear bra to be applied.

The only dealer add on I did when purchasing the car was the clear bra.

Thanks again.
Best regards,
Dino
Old 03-10-2010, 04:14 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 680 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickrack
A rock got thrown up from another car, bounced off his hood twice and chipped the paint, leaving 2 small dings. Chances are, if he had waited the extra two days for the clear-bra, it probably would have just bounced off.
It might have prevented the paint chips, but I highly doubt it would have prevented the dings. That would have been quite a rock to put a ding in today's metals.

Quick Reply: Paint/Interior protection treatment...worth it or a waste?