Ventilated Seat conditioning/treatment questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 11:01 PM
talkinghead
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ventilated Seat conditioning/treatment questions

This is a re-post from the 997 forum:
In my search for a 997.2 I noticed a number of Ventilated seat optioned cars with what I would call a stain of the vent holes. Most were black, but the punching operation leaves the holes lighter in color, white or light grey, if you will. That makes for a nice contrast when new, but if there is spillage (or if you take your neighbor for a test ride, there may be some "other bodily fluid" leakage) that shows up as a dark area that is really just a stain in the holes.

My question is, do you think something like 303 Fabric Guard would work to repel the staining, and would it be safe enough to use on the leather seat? If not, what else would work well?
Old 10-22-2009, 10:24 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Perforated Leather

Including Nappa (A-Aniline / / Non-Coated) choose a water-based product that does not clog the pores of perforated leather and does not contain harsh chemicals that can damage the protective covering or strip the pigmented dye. The overall objective is to maintain the appearance of the leather as it was from the factory.

Cleaning / Care

This leather brush is soft enough that it won't damage the surface of the leather but strong enough to remove the embedded dirt/oil. Micro fibre towel’s ‘grab’ the surface and you can potentially remove the pigmentation. A cotton cloth may be ok but the brush really allows you to get into the cracks and stitching without damage. The Swissvax Leather Brush is what I've been using with great success.

Leather Soft Cleaner – (A-Aniline / Non-Coated) (P-Protected / Coated)

Is a mild, water-based cleaner that will not affect the Leather’s original properties or finish. It is designed to remove most soiling as well as water-based stains; Leather Soft Cleaner is solvent free and works without removing the finish or harming the Leather. Always thoroughly rinse upholstery cleaners and ensure that they are allowed to dry before adding protection or use.

(alternatively purchase LM's Strong cleaner and dilute it as it good undiluted for stubborn stains, this may be a more economical way to purchase)

An extract from “Automotive Detailing, Inside & Out”, a knowledge base for the perfectionist © TOGWT ™ Ltd Copyright 2002-2009, all rights reserved
Old 10-22-2009, 10:41 AM
talkinghead
Rennlist Member

Thanks Tog, but what I am really looking for is a preventative not a cleaner (yet)! I think the 303 may work for this, but I don't have any experience with it on leather.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:53 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Apologies , I misunderstood your question-

Protecting Leather
A leather protection product (Leather Master Leather Protection (A-Aniline / Non-Coated) (P-Protected / Coated) is essential as it will protect the surface finish and makes dirt easier to clean off and to provide protection against oil and water stains, as well as providing resistance to the effects of daily soiling. The latest technology leather upholstery does not make the interior "maintenance free," as some car dealerships imply.

Protection is an essential element in leather care, inhibiting abrasive dirt / grit, brought in from the outside via the A/C system and stains from being absorbed. Its primary purpose is to act as a barrier between the leather surface and any soils that may settle on it, making maintenance cleaning easier.

This product provides a water-based protection for all leather types (covered or natural, except Nubuk). It places an invisible, breathable barrier between you and your leather. Protect your leather first, and then follow a routine of cleaning and re-protection, this way you are not actually cleaning the original surface, but cleaning from the surface of the protection - Leather Master Protection Cream -Detailers Domain
Old 10-28-2009, 11:54 AM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by talkinghead
This is a re-post from the 997 forum:
In my search for a 997.2 I noticed a number of Ventilated seat optioned cars with what I would call a stain of the vent holes. Most were black, but the punching operation leaves the holes lighter in color, white or light grey, if you will. That makes for a nice contrast when new, but if there is spillage (or if you take your neighbor for a test ride, there may be some "other bodily fluid" leakage) that shows up as a dark area that is really just a stain in the holes.

My question is, do you think something like 303 Fabric Guard would work to repel the staining, and would it be safe enough to use on the leather seat? If not, what else would work well?
You can't really "stain protect" your leather seats with something like Scotchguard (303 fabric guard) as, from what I am told, the material (leather) does not allow those types of products to adhere/penetrate as they do with fabrics.

Now I do know of a product being developed for leather/vinyl protection much like that used with fabrics but it's only in testing mode as of now and I hope all goes well as it shows great promise.

Your best bet is to use a water based UV protection product for conditioning and clean the seats on a regular basis but use a gentle means to clean. Leathermaster makes some great cleaners which are also gentle for leathers.

Anthony
Old 11-01-2009, 06:21 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Leather is hygroscopic

It naturally absorbs and retains water, meaning it’s also susceptible to losing the moisture necessary to keep it pliant and soft. and permeate the surface

Leather care products are absorbed and will permeate the surface, the only thing that slows the rate of absorsion is the type of product (water-based products will permeate most leather surfaces, including covered leather)
Old 11-03-2009, 11:01 PM
talkinghead
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TOGWT
A leather protection product (Leather Master Leather Protection (A-Aniline / Non-Coated) (P-Protected / Coated) is essential as it will protect the surface finish and makes dirt easier to clean off and to provide protection against oil and water stains, as well as providing resistance to the effects of daily soiling. The latest technology leather upholstery does not make the interior "maintenance free," as some car dealerships imply.

Protect your leather first, and then follow a routine of cleaning and re-protection, this way you are not actually cleaning the original surface, but cleaning from the surface of the protection - Leather Master Protection Cream -Detailers Domain
Thanks for the input TOG, sounds like good stuff. Should work well on the steering wheel also, which likely gets the most abuse!
Old 11-12-2009, 01:17 AM
Grandpa#3
Three Wheelin'

Location: Hawkinsville / Perry, Georgia, RETIRED USAF GO BLUE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will have to agree that there are some fine leather care products made in the UK and have used some of them while living in Sunbury-on-Thames, Surrey, UK. I raised Arabian Horses here in the States for quite a number of years and my Show Saddles were not cheap by any means. I stand behind plain old Ivory soap and water with a lint free cloth wrung out till just damp for cleaning and a soft bristled brush. I then wipe down the leather with fresh water and a damp cloth several times. Let the leather dry for at least 24 hours and I then use LEXOL Leather Conditioner Preservative. You can use the Lexol cleaner if you wish. By the time I am finished wiping down the saddle I come back with another clean lint free cloth and start buffing the leather to a satin sheen. This product has not darkened my light tan show saddles and they still look like new. I use it to clean my daughters tan leather seats in her car. Just MHO on leather care.

Cheers,
Larry

Quick Reply: Ventilated Seat conditioning/treatment questions