Notices

Where's the best place to get those large natural sea sponges?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 10:54 PM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Where's the best place to get those large natural sea sponges?

And what's the difference between the wool sea sponges and the regular ones? Thanks guys...
Old 08-19-2009, 10:29 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DFASTEST951
And what's the difference between the wool sea sponges and the regular ones? Thanks guys...
The difference is one is man made and the other is nature made.

A man made sponge holds too much inside and doesn't release soap, grit and grime easily.

Natural sponges release soap and grit far easier and although they feel like dried out cake when dry they get uber soft when they come in contact with water. They holds a vast amount of water and soap and in my humble opinion are the best wash media to use....it's my preferred tool for washing delicate paint.

I get mine from Top Of The Line. You can purchase them at craft stores and also Home Depot but they are the small ones, usually made for painting.

Anthony
Old 08-21-2009, 01:08 AM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

As usual Anthony, you're the guy with the answers. Thanks so much
Old 08-21-2009, 03:54 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony Orosco
Natural sponges release soap and grit far easier and although they feel like dried out cake when dry they get uber soft when they come in contact with water. They holds a vast amount of water and soap and in my humble opinion are the best wash media to use....it's my preferred tool for washing delicate paint.

I get mine from Top Of The Line. You can purchase them at craft stores and also Home Depot but they are the small ones, usually made for painting.

Anthony
Anthony, how do Tile & Grout sponges compare?

Thanks.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:31 AM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mongrelcat
Anthony, how do Tile & Grout sponges compare?

Thanks.
Grout sponges work on the same principle as natural sponges in that they try to be more porous than other synthetic sponges and while not as good as a natural sponge they are better than your garden variety of cleaning sponges which are very dense and hold in soap and grit.

Lake Country, makers of foam buffing pads, have taken the man made sponge and re-worked it so that it releases grit easily and is very paint friendly. It still holds soap in but that can be a plus while washing but a minus when trying to rinse it for storage. It fits your hand like a large mitt and I also highly recommend that product.

It can be purchased at Top Of The Line, Autogeek and I am sure that Phil also carries them so check with him first as he is a forum sponsor.

PLEASE READ............

A word of caution here on natural sea sponges that I forgot to mention but it's very important when working with natural sponges.

These come from the ocean and the ocean is a dirty place so these sponges, being that they are in fact sponges and they absorb, come to you with all types of goodies in them, like sand, sea shells and various pieces of ship wrecked gold (yeah I wish). SO PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU PRE-WASH them thoroughly prior to washing your car.

I take mine and soak them in warm water (no soap) and let them sit a bit then I just work my fingers and hands through the sponge......they are fantastic and very cool creatures....cleaning out as much sand as I possible can. I have found sea shells and stuff in many of them so inspect them carefully.

When you get a large rock wool deep sea sponge you'll notice it has 2 sides. One side is more rounded while the other looks as if it has been sheared off, maybe even look burned. Well that's the side that was cut with the table saw after being dried out in the sun. You'll want to wash with the softer rounder side and hold the sponge by the cut side.

Rinse them out well after use and allow to air dry in a non-dusty area. Place them in a baggie when dry so it will be clean and ready for the next wash.

Also, buy an extra one for the wife....she will steal it for the shower!!
Old 08-21-2009, 11:55 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

A great place to purchase natural sponges are from a quality stand-alone paint store. Not the big-box home improvement stores.

Quick Reply: Where's the best place to get those large natural sea sponges?