Notices

Removing those pesky dead bugs

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 05:35 AM
Bergamasco
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Removing those pesky dead bugs

Just wondering if a clay bar is generally considered a must after a wash to clean off the bugs. I am planning a country drive on the weekend and my car is really nicely detailed now (Thanks for the suggestions on Menzerna products - Phil, awesome stuff) but I realize that I may find a few of the little dead critters pasted to the front end upon returning.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:51 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To remove - use a Safe Scrub Bug & Tar Pad and some warm, soapy water. It’s completely harmless to the paint or glass surfaces, a very efficient and safe way of removing harmful baked on bug debris due to its non-abrasive nature. The open-cell construction 'grabs' foreign matter on your cars paint surface and safely removes it.

Options

1.Use a micro fibre towel soaked in Optimum no-rinse (ONR) allow to dwell for a few minutes to rehydrate and gently wipe off, alternatively use a 1:20 solution of distilled water and ONR in a spray bottle allow to dwell and then remove with a bug Safe Scrub Bug & Tar Pad

2.Use an Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA) or a glass cleaner but avoid ammonia based products (ammonia acts as an acid accelerant) or a gel alcohol hand cleaner (Purell®) place a small amount on to a first aid gauze pad, this will help it stay in place during the necessary dwell time and apply to effected area in a shaded area as the alcohol will evaporate very quickly in direct sunlight. Take your time and blot with the alcohol until it softens and melts the sap to the point where you can gently wipe it off the paint.

The alcohol content, acts as a drying agent, which will extract the acid, then thoroughly flush with water to rinse away any grit or sand, etc or use detailers clay to encapsulate it, re-spray the area let it dwell for 2-3 minutes and wipe dry.

Pre-soak heavy bug contamination with an IPA soaked towel(s) and let dwell for 4-5 minutes before removing.

An extract from one of a series of in-depth, unbiased detailing articles © TOGWT ™ Ltd Copyright 2002-2008, all rights reserved.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:32 AM
RL911
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Clay bar works just fine, but you'll have to re-wax. Having a good sealant on the paint is the best way to keep bugs from sticking. With a proper sealant (I use megs #21 2.0), a regular wash will take them right off.

It also helps to clean them off as soon as possible, don't let them get baked on by the sun.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:09 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I've used many products over the years and my personal favorite is 3 coats of a high end carnauba applied 24 hours apart. It will leave a barrier that will make it easy to remove bugs from the surface.

As RL911 suggested, removing them at the earliest convenience will help tremendously for two reasons. First the bugs won't bake on and second some bugs have acids which can eat paint so removing quickly will prevent etching.

I would bring two microfibers with you and quick detail spray. Upon arrival at your destination you can soak the front clip with the quick detail spray and then use the first microfiber to remove majority of the blug splatter and bits of dirt that tend to land on the front. Spray again and use the second microfiber to remove the residue that didn't come off with the first wipe. This has worked well for me and significantly reduces the risk of introducing swirls.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:36 PM
Bergamasco
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys for all the great tips. The other thing I want to do on my black car is to try and avoid adding fine scratches in the removal process. Soaking should do it I am sure.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:46 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

AThe secret is the dwell. Don't be in a hurry. Bugs are water based, and getting them good and wet for 10 minutes or so will let most of it wash right of. Being in a hurry = hard bugs = rubbing too hard = scratches.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:00 PM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

what about bugs on the clear bra????
Old 07-08-2009, 09:57 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DRJMK
what about bugs on the clear bra????
Be really careful with a clear bra, it scratches very easily. Soak the front end and let it sit as Damon just noted. The bugs will soften. Follow the rest of the instructions to wipe away and you'll be all set.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:58 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

I usually try to do a good soak for bugs too.

When at home, I usually hose down the front of the car and then drape wet paper towels over the bumper area / frontal area. then I lightly spray the front again.

I've found that the papertowel being wet, softens the bugs enough for mostly easy removal. The papertowel helps hold the water to vertical surfaces.

I use this technique to on my sportbike.

P
Old 08-20-2009, 05:45 PM
GrahamML
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What if a Clear Bra does get scratched - is there a remedy?
Old 08-21-2009, 03:12 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

One thing I have gotten used to using as well is Griot's Bug Off. It work's good for removing, as well as keeping more from sticking the next time.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:32 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GrahamML
What if a Clear Bra does get scratched - is there a remedy?
Try a plastic polish such as Meguiars.

Quick Reply: Removing those pesky dead bugs