Notices

Carbon Fiber problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 06:07 PM
944obscene
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AllanJ
I don't have one of those Water Pick things (mini pressure washer for teeth) and that jet spray might be small enough to clean out the pin holes. Gotta find someone with one to try out. Or maybe I'll make one.
Cheers,
lol Waterpik! I have one of those! I never thought about using that! Ha. I'm gonna have to try that! Thanks !
Old 05-30-2009, 06:17 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 944obscene
lol Waterpik! I have one of those! I never thought about using that! Ha. I'm gonna have to try that! Thanks !
Road trip to Tulsa!!!

I'll keep you guys posted on the heat lamp thing.

Cheers,
Old 02-25-2012, 01:28 AM
jwk
2nd Gear

GUYS I HAVE A QUESTION. I RECENTLY BOUGHT CARBON FIBER BICYCLE WHEELS. I GOT THE SRAM S80'S AND AFTER GOING FOR A 25 MILE RIDE, I DISCOVERED MANY LITTLE HOLES SCATTERED ABOUT AND RANDOMLY ON THE SURFACE OF MY CARBON FAIRING. AT FIRST I THOUGHT THEY WERE JUST STONE CHIPS BUT UPON CLOSER EXAMINATION, AS IT WAS HARD TO SEE WITH THE NAKED EYE, BUT UPON VERY CLOSE INSPECTION, I COULD SEE PATCHES OF VERY TINY PINHOLE HOLES, SIZE OF A PINHOLE CAMERA, ALL OVER THE SURFACE. IN PATCHES THERE WOULD BE SMOOTH AND NO PINHOLES BUT THEN IN OTHER AREAS THERE WOULD BE MANY SPOTS. THE MAJORITY OF THE HOLES WERE UNIFORM IN SIZE AND ROUNDNESS BUT AT LEAST ONE OR TWO LOOKED LIKE THEY WERE JAGGED EDGES, GIVING POSSIBLY THE ILLUSION OF A STONE CHIP. I CALLED THE BIKE MANUFACTURER AND THEY TOLD ME THEIR CARBON IS UNFINISHED, NO CLEARCOATS AND WHAT I AM SEEING IS THE AIRBUBBLES THAT WORKED ITS WAY UP TO THE SURFACE. DOES ANYBODY HERE CAN VALIDATE THIS EXPLANATION AND TAKE IT ONE STEP FURTHER? I ALSO MADE THE MISTAKE OF TRYING TO APPLY NAIL POLISH TO COVER UP HOLES BUT QUICKLY REALIZED THE HOLES WERE WAY TOO SMALL AND THE NAIL POLISH WAS JUST MAKING TINY LITTLE BUMPS SO I USED NAIL POLISH REMOVER BUT WAS TOLD THAT CAN DAMAGE THE CARBON FIBER. THEY SAID ONLY TO USE ACETONE BUT NAIL POLISH PRIMARY INGREDIENT IS ACETONE. THEY SAID THEY HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO TEST THE OTHER CHEMMICALS IN THE POLISH TO DETERMINE IF IT IS SAFE. MY FEELING IS, NAIL POLISH MAY BE ROUGH ON PLASTIC AS IT SAYS ON BOTTLE, CARBON FIBER I ASSUME IS NOT PLASTIC AND THE NAIL POLISH WOULD DO LITTLE HARM, I STAND TO BE CORRECTED.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:53 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I CALLED THE BIKE MANUFACTURER AND THEY TOLD ME THEIR CARBON IS UNFINISHED, NO CLEARCOATS AND WHAT I AM SEEING IS THE AIRBUBBLES THAT WORKED ITS WAY UP TO THE SURFACE. DOES ANYBODY HERE CAN VALIDATE THIS EXPLANATION AND TAKE IT ONE STEP FURTHER?

Clear coat bubbles

So called solvent pop is caused by the paint topcoats trapping evaporating solvent gases during curing and drying (outgas) the pressure builds causing micro-explosions (pop) pushing up small blister in the wet paint or topcoat. Solvent pop will appear after the film is "skinned over" and when sanded will have pinholes
•Improper paint prep
•Wrong solvent or reducer
•Excessive film thickness
•Too heavy and undercoat can trap solvents
•Insufficient outgas (paint cure)

Correction- Repaint the base coat and apply a clear-coat to the affected panel
Old 02-25-2012, 04:06 PM
jwk
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by TOGWT
I CALLED THE BIKE MANUFACTURER AND THEY TOLD ME THEIR CARBON IS UNFINISHED, NO CLEARCOATS AND WHAT I AM SEEING IS THE AIRBUBBLES THAT WORKED ITS WAY UP TO THE SURFACE. DOES ANYBODY HERE CAN VALIDATE THIS EXPLANATION AND TAKE IT ONE STEP FURTHER?

Clear coat bubbles

So called solvent pop is caused by the paint topcoats trapping evaporating solvent gases during curing and drying (outgas) the pressure builds causing micro-explosions (pop) pushing up small blister in the wet paint or topcoat. Solvent pop will appear after the film is "skinned over" and when sanded will have pinholes
•Improper paint prep
•Wrong solvent or reducer
•Excessive film thickness
•Too heavy and undercoat can trap solvents
•Insufficient outgas (paint cure)

Correction- Repaint the base coat and apply a clear-coat to the affected panel
Sounds plausible but I am talking carbon fiber and not clearcoat or paint.

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber problems