Notices

First Detail...

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 11:27 PM
rudy1024
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Detail...

Spent the better part of today detailing my car. I didn't think you could improve Arctic Silver, but I did and I'm real happy with the results. Started by claying the whole car - the hood took several passes, the front and rear fenders and door were pretty clean. I followed by a coat of 3M Imperial Hand Glaze then two coats of Klasse High Gloss Sealant and Glaze. I topped that with two coats of Mother's Carnauba. I hit the plastic next to the windshield with Black Wow and found that stuff is amazing. Like I said, very happy with the results.

Now, to the experts out there - what's the best way to keep everything looking as good as it does today? I've heard that carnauba is pretty soft and doesn't last very long. Can I top with carnauba in a month or so to keep it looking deep and shiny? Or do I have to go through the whole prep again? I don't mind doing this a couple of time a year, but whatever I can do to keep it looking exactly like it does now I'll do...

Thanks in advance for your tips and advice.

Rudy
Old 05-26-2009, 05:25 AM
Detailed Image
Former Vendor

You're on the right track, most carnauba waxes will last around a month. After a maintenance wash in about 4 weeks I'd top your paint with another coat of wax. Do so every month or so for the next 4 months then reassess if you want to strip it down and re-prep. For your maintenance washes that you aren't applying another coat of wax, follow up with a quality quick detailer for added pop and slickness to the paint.

Enjoy your new Arctic Silver look.

George
Old 05-26-2009, 09:18 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by Detailed Image
You're on the right track, most carnauba waxes will last around a month. After a maintenance wash in about 4 weeks I'd top your paint with another coat of wax. Do so every month or so for the next 4 months then reassess if you want to strip it down and re-prep. For your maintenance washes that you aren't applying another coat of wax, follow up with a quality quick detailer for added pop and slickness to the paint.

Enjoy your new Arctic Silver look.

George

+1

Basically you really need to focus on washing the car and being careful with your technique. The wool wash mitts work really well and last years with proper care. Best technique is to have a seperate rinse bucket with grit guard to avoid applying the sand/dirt on the paint which will prevent the scratches and swirls.

Wipe bird droppings as soon as you see them since they will eat into the clearcoat in a hurry.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:19 AM
rudy1024
Pro

Thanks for the info! I was hoping to hear that a re-wax will work. I did notice under the flourescent lights in the parking garage this morning sort of a slight, ever so slight amber tint to the shine - could that be the carnauba? I've used the HGSG before without the carnauba toppping and never noticed. Will all carnaubas do that, or is this specific to Mother's? Not sure if it bothers me or not yet, but I did get the depth I was looking for (more of a thicker, wet look rather than the "glarey" look I was getting without it), but if I can get the depth without the tint, I'd prefer that.

Thanks again for the information.

Rudy
Old 05-26-2009, 01:45 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've never used Mothers but I will say that most carnauba's do not tint paint. I would bet that the amber tint is actually your paint colors coming through. Porsche paint is usually very high quality (as far as the colors go) and they use very subtle color shifting metallics regularly which is what makes them look so nice. Your observation is very telling in that you are seeing more depth and clarity with the Carnauba as compared to a synthetic which gives an artificial shine. Carnauba's tend to allow the natural colors to really pop while still maintaining an incredible gloss.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:56 PM
944obscene
Three Wheelin'

http://www.autoanything.com/car-care/69A2231A0A0.aspx
Old 06-01-2009, 02:05 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 753 Likes on 394 Posts

Great job and glad you had fun detailing your P-Car. From my experience, you don't need to rewax monthly if using a good quality product. Mothers is OK, but you can do better for not much more cost. Try using a carnauba made by swissvax, zymol, or p21s. You'll find various price points that suit your budget. Then, simply use a spray wax like einszett glanz or zymol field glaze to maintain after every wash.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:57 PM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks great!! I use the P21 Carnuba and love it. I usually get a couple applications on before I wash the car with Dawn and strip it all down. Quick question though - do you guys hand buff that carnuba or use a rotory on low speed to apply?
Old 06-01-2009, 03:47 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

I apply and remove by hand.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:13 PM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rudy1024
...I followed by a coat of 3M Imperial Hand Glaze then two coats of Klasse High Gloss Sealant and Glaze...
I like Klasse AIO but I find that Klasse SG can be really difficult to buff off and can also leave streaks. I have read that the secret is to put in on REALLY thin.

Originally Posted by choinga
...Quick question though - do you guys hand buff that carnuba or use a rotory on low speed to apply?
I have a PC 7424, not a rotary buffer. I only use the PC 7424 to apply polish (usually Sonus SFX-2 or SFX-3). I always apply and buff wax by hand.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:30 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[I have read that the secret is to put in on REALLY thin.]

It cannot be emphasized enough ‘Apply products very sparingly’ Ease of product removal is inversely proportional (less product easier removal) to the amount used
Old 06-02-2009, 09:21 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TOGWT
[I have read that the secret is to put in on REALLY thin.]

It cannot be emphasized enough ‘Apply products very sparingly’ Ease of product removal is inversely proportional (less product easier removal) to the amount used
+1000

To insure full coverage apply a second thin coat.

Quick Reply: First Detail...