How to protect my vehicle from the outdoors

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 09:34 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts
Question How to protect my vehicle from the outdoors

I just bought a 2002 996 Cabrio last week and wanted to get some suggestions on how to keep it looking like new.

I've in the past used the Griot's products and I have their orbital buffer so I'm pretty happy with their products thus far. But this vehicle is in my better shape than my old one so I wanted to make sure their products were still suitable.

In any case my car is parked in a garage during nights and weekends but during the weekday it sits outdoors in my office parking lot. My windows aren't tinted but I do use a sunshade to shield the front dash.

Are the Griot's waxes and leather/vinyl protectants up to the task? I don't want my leather to crack or become worn and want to avoid fading from the sun on my dash. I know Griot's products are usually mentioned as effective but expensive, is that the general consensus with these products as well?

Thanks for your suggestions!
Old 05-06-2009, 09:08 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Make sure that any protection applied contains ultra violet (UV) radiation protection (it has too be added to products like wax as they do not contain a natural UV protection, the same thing goes for viynl, rubber, etc
Old 05-06-2009, 10:33 AM
ekeeton
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you put a car cover on your car during the day when it's out in the sun? I think that would provide the maximum UV protection.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:05 PM
gmblack3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ekeeton
Can you put a car cover on your car during the day when it's out in the sun? I think that would provide the maximum UV protection.
Unless the car is freshly washed a car cover will also provide the maximum amount of marring for the paint.

If you don't mind waxing monthly then the Griots wax will be ok, but if you want something that will last longer either collinite 476 for lighter colors or 915 for darker colors. You should get 3-4 months out of those.

Zaino is what I use to protect my clients and my cars, you are looking at an easy 4-6 months with zaino. I suggest ZAIO, Z8, Z2pro for light colors or Z5pro for dark colors.

For the interior hard surfaces (dash and doors)

Cleaning: 1Z einszett Plastic Vinyl Deep Cleaner "Plastik-Reiniger."

Protection: 1Z einszett Vinyl-Rubber Care & Protectant "Tiefenpfleger" You can also use this for any plastic or rubber exterior trim.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:39 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ekeeton
I've considered that but it also seems to invite unwanted attention and is inconvenient to keep the cover stored when not using it. I've actually thought of parking in a covered deck that's in another office park and just walking. But my co-workers may think I'm a bit off since it's a good distance away.

Originally Posted by TOGWT
Make sure that any protection applied contains ultra violet (UV) radiation protection (it has too be added to products like wax as they do not contain a natural UV protection, the same thing goes for viynl, rubber, etc
Judging from the catalog description it does seem the products I am looking at do have UV protection. But I'll double-check.

Originally Posted by gmblack3
If you don't mind waxing monthly then the Griots wax will be ok, but if you want something that will last longer either collinite 476 for lighter colors or 915 for darker colors. You should get 3-4 months out of those.

Zaino is what I use to protect my clients and my cars, you are looking at an easy 4-6 months with zaino. I suggest ZAIO, Z8, Z2pro for light colors or Z5pro for dark colors.

For the interior hard surfaces (dash and doors)

Cleaning: 1Z einszett Plastic Vinyl Deep Cleaner "Plastik-Reiniger."

Protection: 1Z einszett Vinyl-Rubber Care & Protectant "Tiefenpfleger" You can also use this for any plastic or rubber exterior trim.
Thank you for the suggestions! I don't necessarily mind waxing every month - in fact it would make the purchase of the Porter Cable more justifiable since I am using it more often. But of course as you know it's a fairly involved so I'll look up some of the other brands you mentioned.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:55 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Griots products work well, I use their vinyl/rubber for all the rubber, vinyl and porous plastics (wing) and it works great. It does contain UV protection.

Their interior cleaner also works well, use it conjunction with a boars hair brush such as the swissvax detailing brush to clean the interior.

Any wax will work reasonably well as long as you use it regularly. Some waxes will look better while others will protect better.

Good luck and congrats on the new toy!
Old 05-08-2009, 06:29 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ultra Violet Radiation (UVR)
Is a paint film surface's greatest enemy (besides acid rain, bird / bug excrement) causing more damage than any other airborne contaminant and affecting the interior and exterior of a vehicle, the light in this spectral range is responsible for photo degradation.
However ultra violet radiation (UV) absorption leads to chain degradation and loss of strength as it breaks the molecular bonds on polymer binder systems (i.e. plastics, paint resin (binder) system and rubber). Once its molecular bond has been compromised materials are more susceptible to oxidation, UVR damage also increases the rate of oxidation. In addition, many pigments and dyes absorb UV and change colour

UV inhibitors are often not added to formulas because they are expensive additives and difficult to add to silicone (which most car care products contain). Some companies put a miniscule amount of UV inhibitors in their waxes so that they can claim UV protection. Problem is that you could not get enough UV absorbing chemical in a wax product that would provide beneficial protection at the extremely thin layer that is left on the vehicle. Essentially, the clear coat or base colour coat paint must contain the effective UV protection.

No wax that you apply will provide any amount of beneficial UV protection. This barrier is all that stands between the environmental contaminants (ultra violet radiation, acid rain, ozone, industrial pollution, rain, road dirt and tar, etc) and the paint film surface and this renewable barrier is probably less than 0.000001-inch (0.001 Mil) thick.

Most natural Carnauba waxes are optically clear (or as near as possible), which will allow ultra violet (UV) radiation to pass through the applied protection. Carnauba wax doesn’t have a natural UV protection, to provide UV protection requires a reflective shield, that blocks sunlight, and then you lose clarity, which we were striving for by using a clear paint surface protection in the first place.
•Carnauba waxes, contrary to popular belief and / or marketing do not contain natural UV protection; the oils (usually silicone in most products) make it very difficult to add the UV inhibitors.
•Polymers (acrylics, etc) resist UV degradation very well due to their very high light refractive index, which means that the majority of the light spectrum (including UV) is being rejected from the surface rather than being allowed to penetrate into the paint. So they are somewhat immune and absorb very little ultra violet radiation, and hence UV energy does not damage them
To provide UV protection there are a few choices, use a UVR protectorate (303™ Space Protectant) on top of the wax, parking the vehicle in the shade away from the sunlight or use a car cover

An extract from one of a series of in-depth detailing articles © TOGWT ™ Ltd Copyright 2002-2008, all rights reserved.

Last edited by TOGWT; 05-09-2009 at 03:02 PM.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:54 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TOGWT
To provide UV protection there are a few choices, use a UVR protectorate (303™ Space Protectant) on top of the wax, parking the vehicle in the shade away from the sunlight or use a car cover
Interesting...I'll have to look at product up. I can park under some trees for shade but what I've found in the past is that birds congregate there and depending on the time of year I get tree sap spilling on the vehicle. To me those two are worse than sunlight on the car.

Quick Reply: How to protect my vehicle from the outdoors