Parked under a tree today

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 12:01 PM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Parked under a tree today

Guys
Posted this on the 993 thread - all the guys tell me to ask the guys here for advice.

Boys
I parked under a tree today while I was at the gym. When I got back to the car - it looked like someone had throw water bombs on the car. I just washed the car and I can't get the marks out of the paint work. The tree sap from that tree just won't come off. Can anyone suggest a product that will get the stuff off or suggestions on what to try ? I'm about to try to polish it out.
Regards
Old 03-26-2009, 07:29 PM
Detailed Image
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For sap, typically what I'll do is soak a corner of a microfiber towel in isopropyl alcohol and allow it to sit on the sap. After 30 seconds to a minute, try to pick the top of the sap off of the paint and hopefully the alcohol helped loosen it from the surface. You want to avoid scraping the sap off from the base of the sap mark which can add scratches or other imperfections to your paint. Another option is to use something like Stoner Tarminator to help break up and dissolve the sap. After the sap is removed, you can clay the surface to ensure there is no sap remaining on the paint. If the sap etched into the paint, then you'll want to polish out the marks to fully restore the paints finish.

Hope this helps, good luck removing the marks.

Cheers,

George
Old 03-27-2009, 10:15 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I've typically just soaked a section with quick detailer and used elbow grease with a Microfiber to remove the sap. It is tedious and takes forever but it won't harm the paint.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:05 PM
kcl
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've used bug and tar remover to get the top layer off. If there is etching on the paint, you might need to do some polishing.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:54 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Appears like a dark brown/ red coloured raised surface mark, some of the most common resinous tree sap types are: White Pine, Walnut (also secretes an oily residue) Maple, Oak, Popular, and Blue Spruce, none of which are water soluble, the acidic content of the sap will etch the paint surface; causing a concave surface.

A lot depends upon the type of sap, which is actually an acidic resin emitted from the tree, the resin deposits can be removed by- Isopropyl alcohol (IPA), a safe solvent (Stoner’s Tarminator®) or turpentine, which is made from tree resins, in severe cases it can be used to break down the resin in tree sap, use as a last resort only and use sparingly and do not rub hard and give it some time to work and then use detailer’s clay.

For more information see article “Environmental Pollutants” in the Detailing School section of Detailing Bliss forum...

Quick Reply: Parked under a tree today