Notices

My take on Detailing clay

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 04:53 PM
Grouse
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My take on Detailing clay

I like clay. In order of least liked to most liked.

6)I also Like grey clay for those jobs that just need more Grit. It's a much more aggressive clay. Not something i would use on any car unless i was going to 3-5 step the car. Again you can pick it up from most vendors.
http://www.detailersdomain.com/index...PROD&ProdID=20

5)Purple clay. It seems to be slightly less aggressive than the Grey. To be fair i have only used one bar. It's been Okay. It seems to try and fill the void between grey and red clays. Usually i will pick red over purple. Less marring. Though the cars I tried the purple on were at the extreme end of fubar.
PURPLE CLAY BAR

4) Megs red. This is my next favorite clay. Lightly aggressive, will cause some marring but good enough for most moderately messed up paints. IE bitchum/pitch, types of tars and oils.
Meguiar's Direct Mirror Glaze Pro Detailing Clay (Aggressive)

3)My favorite US clay is Megs blue. It's a solid all round clay. Yes it is all the same clay and every blue clay out there is the same as megs blue. Lately I have been getting it from Phil at DD. The blue is your basic well maintained but needs claying car. Not a garage queen clay, but a daily driver car, one whose owner loves it. It's simple 30-45 min clay of the entire vehicle. It will impart a bit of marring but nothing the lightest of polishes will remove for you.
http://www.detailersdomain.com/index...ROD&ProdID=278

2) Clay pad. Ultima products had it, chemical guys had it. I picked it up from details plus. I liked it so much for 90% of my jobs I picked up 20 of them. They seem to average about 5-15 cars a piece. That makes them significantly more cost effective than other clays. It is aggressive, but it imparts a different type of marring than other more traditional clays. I clean them 2-3 times per panel. For the bulk of my work this is my go to clay.
DETAIL PLUS - Car Appearance Systems : SPONGE CLAY PAD

1) Non us clay. The older style of non elastic "ricarrdo" clays. The stuf that is not for sale anymore in the us. Thank god I have friends in the EU who got me these. They do work well, It almost as grabby as my clay sponge, and with out proper lube it can impart the same type of marring as the sponge. When correctly used it is as marr free as one could hope for. It works well, lasts considerably longer than standard clays.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:46 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

^^^ That looks teh like the Clay Set i have http://www.eshine.ca/riccardo_clay_62oz-300.php?cat=67
Old 10-31-2008, 09:44 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good clay information...
Old 11-03-2008, 07:54 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Post *****....
Old 11-03-2008, 08:31 PM
Grouse