Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 07:09 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Question Home car washing banned

From the latest edition of Winding Road...

Washington State Banning Home Car Washing?
Car wash owners in Clark County, Washington may be looking at a large boost in revenue courtesy of the state government, as the powers that be are considering a law that would make washing one's car a home a punishable offense.

The Oregonian recently published an article reporting that state officials are looking into a plan that would ask Clark County to control what water flows into storm drains, including a potential ban on the sudsy byproduct of at-home auto washing. The argument is that the soap and chemicals used to wash cars too often finds its way into the lakes, streams, and other waterways of the land, adding significantly to the pollution of those natural features.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:28 AM
gmblack3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use QEW or ONR and do it in the garage.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:18 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

wow your ecomony is that bad? thats sucks...

but anyways what are teh chances of a cop coming by your house whenyoru washing you car to give you a fine... unless you Nabours are a-holes and call on you... how much is teh fine for this anways?

besdies i think there are other things that are more harmfull to the lakes than Soap...

Last edited by Zookie; 10-01-2008 at 09:38 PM.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:02 PM
richc
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We get a ample rain up here in the Pacific Northwet - no need to wash cars. I was going to wash mine today, my wife commented "It's going to rain for the next 8 days, why bother?" She's got a point.
If I wait long enough, it'll be snowing and then I get a break until May.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:40 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

insane.
this is why i wash my car at 3am, using my neighbors water hose outside THEIR garage.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:41 PM
quinnfiske
Pro

Why would free people stand for this?
Old 10-04-2008, 11:41 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
The argument is that the soap and chemicals used to wash cars too often finds its way into the lakes, streams, and other waterways of the land, adding significantly to the pollution of those natural features.
rediculous. i find it hard to believe that diluted soap and the acid from wheel cleaners is worst than the metric F*CKTONS of human and animal fecal waste, drugs, corpses, random trash and etc that flows into the lakes and whatnot anyhow.
Old 10-05-2008, 06:32 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 698 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by richc
We get a ample rain up here in the Pacific Northwet - no need to wash cars. I was going to wash mine today, my wife commented "It's going to rain for the next 8 days, why bother?" She's got a point.
If I wait long enough, it'll be snowing and then I get a break until May.
Actually, you're doing more harm than good if your car is dirty and you let rain "wash" it. You see, all the dirt and contaminants on your paint such as carbon dioxide from exhaust fumes, react with the rain, which sometimes can be acid rain. This actually damages your finish. So you're better off cleaning your car and washing it prior to a rainfall to avoid this. Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:53 PM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ONR uses much less water than a conventional wash if water usage is the problem.

ONR on a berm mat (catches what little water is used, which you can collect with a vacuum and dispose of 'safely) if storm drain pollution is the problem

See artricle "Optimum No Rinse (ONR) Rinse less wash)" DetailingWiki a series of informative, unbiased articles dedicated to automotive detailing.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:41 PM
detailersdomain
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I would also say ONR would be your best bet.
tel: 201-233-0003
Promo code is rennlist for 10% off anything on the site
Current Sales and Updates
Old 10-11-2008, 11:48 PM
jugger911
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say don't be a conformist if it goes through. That's crazy. Although it seems Cali and Washington state start all these crazy rules...
Old 10-16-2008, 02:27 PM
est1984
5th Gear

Originally Posted by ltc
From the latest edition of Winding Road...

Washington State Banning Home Car Washing?
Car wash owners in Clark County, Washington may be looking at a large boost in revenue courtesy of the state government, as the powers that be are considering a law that would make washing one's car a home a punishable offense.

The Oregonian recently published an article reporting that state officials are looking into a plan that would ask Clark County to control what water flows into storm drains, including a potential ban on the sudsy byproduct of at-home auto washing. The argument is that the soap and chemicals used to wash cars too often finds its way into the lakes, streams, and other waterways of the land, adding significantly to the pollution of those natural features.
Thats pretty big news! Suprised I didnt hear about that!? I would think I should have being in King County where it would be more likely to happen!

That would be good for business though! or, Bellevue would have ALOT of dirty cars rolling around.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:31 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

See how they enforce it. It is more like one of the "feel good" laws that they say they are helping the planet. They are talking about it around here also. Washing over your lawn is going to be OK.

This is what gets me, most car soaps are biodegradable & better then most other chemicals out there. When it rains the water on my car, falls off, & goes down the storm drain. How is any different from me washing it?

Next they are going to start to tax you when you fart, it's bad for the Ozone, & global warming.

We are starting to go way off base & becoming a Police country, so much for freedom.

Quick Reply: Home car washing banned