Notices

Brake fluid in trunk area (under liner)

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 05:22 PM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 180 Posts
Default Brake fluid in trunk area (under liner)

As detailed in another thread, I seem to have a brake / clutch hydraulic fluid leak in my 993 TT trunk area, source yet unknown (that is another thread).

Any suggestions on how to clear this fluid up?

I understand brake fluid can harm the paint / finish. So once cleaned up, any suggestions for treating the painted areas (that I can reach) to combat / neutralized the effect on the paint (talking about under the trunk liner, not on the outside body).
Old 09-28-2008, 08:26 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kein_Ersatz
As detailed in another thread, I seem to have a brake / clutch hydraulic fluid leak in my 993 TT trunk area, source yet unknown (that is another thread).

Any suggestions on how to clear this fluid up?

I understand brake fluid can harm the paint / finish. So once cleaned up, any suggestions for treating the painted areas (that I can reach) to combat / neutralized the effect on the paint (talking about under the trunk liner, not on the outside body).
Best bet is to try and remove as much of the carpet kit as possible. Take it to a coin op car wash and power wash the carpet. You may need a degreaser (water based) Rinse thoroughly and drip dry or use a wet/dry vac and then let it air dry.

For the painted areas you can use vinegar or a degreaser.

Anthony
Old 09-29-2008, 08:53 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Good tips from Anthony as always.

I wouldn't waste any time addressing this as the longer it sits the more damage it can do.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:36 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 180 Posts

Anthony and Marine Blue, thanks for the tips, will get on it later today.

The root cause seems to be "slave cylinder' related to 993 TT and most of it may actually be Pentosin oil and not brake fluid, but the top of the BF reservoir tank did have some moisture / fluid around the cap, not sure which it is (BF or Pentosin), but I will clean it up regardless with caution (and lots of disposable paper towels). The BF maybe a result of a recnt 30K BF service (by a dealer before I bought the car)

Also the hardboard backing on the liner has also soaked up some type of oil, will investigate replacing that if I can remove it from the liner.

Cheers,
Kevin
Old 09-29-2008, 11:48 AM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These types of leaks are not uncommon as I see them a lot when dealing with the local Porsche center.

It usually occurs when a Porsche owner seeks to save a few bucks and goes to a quick lube type place. Not saying that's what happened in your case but that it's common. Some times I have seen where the caps were not even placed back on.

The backing board *might* be saved by placing some oil absorbing granules on the oil soaked side. This depends largely on how much oil was soaked in and also how long it's been there.

Hope you get it all worked out.

Anthony

Quick Reply: Brake fluid in trunk area (under liner)