Notices

Noob: Need Advice for My First Detail

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 05:39 PM
sTyleR
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up Noob: Need Advice for My First Detail

I am going to perform my first auto detail of my own Porsche 924S. It has gathered 22 years of swirls and some tar grime on fenders, so I think that after a nice detail it will look great. I think that I have figured out basically what to buy, but would like advice from more experienced members. I'm looking to go with Meguiar's car care products, since I am just looking to do a personal job and not open a business. I am considering buying the following, but have no idea as to what order to apply each thing.

-NXT Generation™ Liquid Tech Wax 2.0
-NXT Generation™ Synthetic Car Wash
-Extra Thick Microfiber Wash Mitt
-Supreme Shine™ Plush Microfiber Towel
-Ultimate Quik Detailer™ Maintenance Spray
-COLORX® Polish
-Deep Crystal® System Paint Cleaner
-Smooth Surface® Clay Kit
-NXT Generation® Glass Cleaner

Is anything I listed pointless in buying, or is there something in addition that I should consider buying? I am currently using Armorall to refresh the tire side walls and exterior trim. Would one of the exterior trim care products be of better use?

And lastly, what order of steps do I use each care product? What accessory should I use with each care product? I have a circular rotary buffer for the polish and wax.

Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks
Old 08-17-2008, 11:34 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Since you're looking at products which would be available in a local auto parts store I think what you have picked will give you good results. You probalby won't need the paint cleaner if you're using ColorX but you may want to pick up a bug/tar remove instead to remove the tar. Clay nor polish do a good job on really baked on tar.

Do you have experience with a rotary buffer and if yes what type of pads do you have available?

I would switch from Armor All to Vinylex, better product and less shine.

Proper order

Wash
Tar Remover
Quick Detailer Spray for the spots you used Tar Remover
Clay
Polish with Color X
Quick Detail Spray
Wax

Now if I was to choose the products (even for personal use) I would choose the following:
Random Orbital Buffer
Meguiars #83 with Foam Cutting Pad
Meguiars #9 with Foam Polishing Pad
Meguiars #9 with Foam Finishing pad or by hand with Microfiber applicator
Wax
Quick Detailer
303 for Vinyl/Rubber or Griots Vinyl Rubber
At least 6 Microfibers for product removal, glass cleaning, applying product etc.

I'm probably a bit old fashioned in my choices but I just completed a second hand polish of my 928 and results are stunning using above.

Note that you'll still want to clay and buy some bug/tar remover.

I'm sure others will also chime in with their choices.

Either way good luck and post some before/after pics.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:45 AM
sTyleR
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thank you very much! That's just the info I need.

I don't have very much experience with a rotary buffer, but will be using one on the detail. The following are pads that are available for me to buy.
-SoftBuff Foam Cutting Pad
-SoftBuff Foam Polishing Pad
-SoftBuff Foam Finishing Pad

I'm thinking that I should just get a few of the Polishing and Finishing pads, if I'm not mistaken. What do you think?
Old 08-20-2008, 01:50 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Well I would be careful using the Rotary if you don't have experience with it. Specifically if you catch an edge or stay in one area to long you will burn through your paint or damage trim very quickly.

A random orbital is significantly safer if you can get your hands on one.

I would stay away from the cutting pad unless you really know what you're doing. The polishing pad (yellow) is the safest bet for any polishing you will be doing since it is soft and not very agressive. You will still build up heat so be careful.

Two of each polish/finishing pad is a good idea and they can be washed and used with a different product so that is not an issue.

Post some before/after pics when you're done!
Old 08-22-2008, 09:39 AM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

For one charge this kit is the best out there IMO. It has everything you need:

http://www.gloss-it.net/store.php?ca...&#bottomAnchor

It's the same kit I used to do this detail:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=40366

I have been a big McGuire's fan for awhile and I can promise you that you won't get a professional shine from their over the counter stuff. At a minimum you will need to go their website and order a bottle of 95 or 105 and use a machine to apply it.

Quick Reply: Noob: Need Advice for My First Detail