Notices

Cheap tire dressing residue and the clear bra

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 12:35 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Cheap tire dressing residue and the clear bra

To make a long story short, I've got some residue on the edges of my clear bra that wrap inside the front and rear wheel wells that is the result of too much cheap tire dressing.

Unfortunately, I've tried to cut corners a few times over the last five months and I've had my car washed 3 or 4 times by the detailer/car wash guy here in my building. I know he slops on a lot of tire dressing but it's never been a problem on any of my cars.

This is the first car that I've got a clear bra on. It looks like this cheap crap is working its way into the porous clear bra material in my wheel wells. I originally thought it was rotor rust but two reputable local detailer as well as my clear bra installer are all 99.9% sure it's the result of centrifugal force, cheap tire dressing, and not buffing that crap in.

I've tried Plexus, Ice, Soap and water, bug and tar remover, and a Sonus clay bar. I can't get this crap out.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:55 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

A good wash should get it off. You might have to take a light polish to it, or try a all purpose cleaner.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:59 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
A good wash should get it off. You might have to take a light polish to it, or try a all purpose cleaner.
Nope.

It's gotten into the porous material of the clear bra.

I've tried Plexus, Ice, etc.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:20 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

It might be worth finding out what the car wash is using for the tire dressing and track down the product. This can help determine what is needed to remove it from the surface of the plastic.
Old 08-10-2008, 01:13 AM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
It might be worth finding out what the car wash is using for the tire dressing and track down the product. This can help determine what is needed to remove it from the surface of the plastic.
Great idea. I'll stop in this week and ask.

Thanks.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:48 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

The product that the detailer here at the office is using is called Car Brite (that is the correct spelling) Summit. The detailer only had the "industrial size" product which is a big, white tub.

Anyone have any ideas for me?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:53 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Here's a link to the product. http://carbrite.com/servlet/net.ebiz.../C044F&lb=none

It says it's water based, not sure why it's difficult to remove if that is true. You might try contacting the manufacturer and asking for suggestions on how to remove the residue, I'm sure they can give you some tips.

Post back if find a solution since I'm sure others will have or have had similar problems.

Quick Reply: Cheap tire dressing residue and the clear bra