My Menzerna Polishing Plan?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 02:04 PM
bluejam
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Menzerna Polishing Plan?

Hey Guys,
I have a black '95 993 that has a somewhat dull/hazy finish w/ fine swirls.

I've heard great raves about Menzerna polishes and I just love the fact it's a German product.

After proper clay and wash,
My plan is to Porter-Cable first using Menzerna SIP PO83 with an orange LC pad.
Then PO85RD or 106FF(Nano) with a black LC pad. Or should I use a white?
Next, I'll apply a Menzrna Glaze also with a Black pad, followed by P21S wax.
Am I on the right track here?

Any comments and advise is well appreciated.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:22 PM
Stephenwz968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would use a white pad after the orange, it will help clean up any haze from the SIP and orange pad combo. I've never used SIP with a PC, only with a rotary, so hopefully others can chime in - I would imagine it will take major time to break down with a PC. Overall, your plan seems good - you might even be able to skip the glaze step after the SIP/orange and the 106FF/white, and apply your P21S via a black pad/PC; just smear it on the pad to spread it.

Steve
Old 08-05-2008, 04:29 PM
gmblack3
Instructor

Try the 106ff on a white pad first to see if that will remove your defects. If that does not work try SIP with the white pad, then go to the orange with SIP if needed. Porsche clear is on the soft side, so you might not need SIP/orange.

Also tape off a 2'x2' area to use as your test spot. Once you are 100% satisfied with the results on your test area, use that process on the rest of the paint.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:23 PM
bluejam
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the input. Yeah, I like the test area idea and will try that.
I am confused by the two finish polishes...PO85RD and 106FF Nano. It looks like the 85RD is finer. Which do most prefer?
Also, is there any time I would want to go with a blue or black pad, or is white always sufficient?

Thanks again.

Jody
Old 08-05-2008, 09:55 PM
Darryl92Cab
Instructor

I agree with stephenwz968 re:SIP using a PC. I've done it and it does indeed take a while. I've just begun to tackle some scrathes and minor surface defects on my white 968 and ended up getting the best results using a green heavy polish (CCS) pad on a rotary. The orange was doing OK, but seems the green did a little better job at cutting. My question is why is the green pad "heavy polishing" and the orange pad "light cutting"? By feel, the green pad seems more abrasive and is structured much like the yellow heavy cutting pad where the orange pad is built similar to the white pads. I would think the green and orange would be the opposite of how they're advertised/marketed. I've had similar questions about which pad and which polish, but you'll develop a feel for what works best.

Also, as gmblack recommends, always try a lighter polish first to see if it will remove the defects. Then if it doesn't step up to a more abrasive polish using the appropriate pad.

My plan for my white paint:

SIP using Green CCS Pad at 2.5-3 setting on Makita 9227
Final Polish (PO85) with a white pad at 4 setting on PC7224
Full Molecular Jacket with Black Pad at 2.5-3 on PC7224
P21S by hand

I've had my 968 for a few years now and have cleaned it thoroughly, but have never actually corrected the defects and really got rid of the surface scratches. It's almost as bad as a black car but in a different sort of way. I'm looking forward to the end result. You should be very happ with the Menzerna line of polishes. My black 944 needed Power Gloss Compound with a yellow pad, followed by the appropriate steps to get in back into shape. I get quite a few compliments on the car especially when people find out it's almost at the quarter million mile mark. See some before and after shots here:

http://www.darrylnichols.com/index_files/Page328.htm

- Darryl
Old 08-06-2008, 04:06 AM
Todd Helme
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bluejam
Thanks for the input. Yeah, I like the test area idea and will try that.
I am confused by the two finish polishes...PO85RD and 106FF Nano. It looks like the 85RD is finer. Which do most prefer?
Also, is there any time I would want to go with a blue or black pad, or is white always sufficient?

Thanks again.

Jody
Here is my thoughts (as a rotary user). 106ff has a little more bit then a PO85rd and is really ideal for a PC. It will finish down as nice as a PC will allow and given the limited power of the PC, the extra cut comes in handy.

85rd is really a great final polishing tool to be used with a rotary.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:40 AM
bluejam
Rennlist Member

Thanks Todd. That is the definitive answer I was looking for to make my decision. Now I can go ahead and place my order.
I'll try the 106FF first on a test area and see what happens. I may not get to this project for another week. It's real hot here in the Great Northwest right now. I'll post back with results.
Thanks again guys.

Jody

BTW, great work on that sweet 944! Im inspired.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:50 AM
detailersdomain
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say that 85rd on your black car would be an unbelievable way to finish it off.

I would as Stephen said use a white pad.

LMK how I can help with the Menzerna.
tel: 201-233-0003
Promo code is rennlist for 10% off anything on the site
Current Sales and Updates
Old 08-06-2008, 12:05 PM
bluejam
Rennlist Member

Phil, now you've confused me again between the 85RD and the 106FF. What is your take on the two?
Old 08-06-2008, 04:17 PM
Todd Helme
Intermediate

Originally Posted by phil@detailersdomain
I would say that 85rd on your black car would be an unbelievable way to finish it off.

I would as Stephen said use a white pad.

LMK how I can help with the Menzerna.
I should say my experience is more limited then Phil's when it comes to that combination since I use and finish with a rotary polisher 99% time.

By rotary I notice a slightly nicer finish on most paint if I substitue 85rd over 106ff. This doesn't apply on car's with harder clear coats (of which Porsche's tend to have softer clear coats).

A Porter Cable, because of its random orbit and lack of power does not break down the abarsives in the polish as equally, so it can never finish the paint as nice a rotary (though the difference may be indecernable to the naked eye). I would think that 106ff is more then capable of reaching the limits of a Porter Cable's ability and tend to believe that 85rd doesn't improve the finish (to my eye) on a Porter Cable.

Like I said though, Phil has more experience in this area and certainly knows what he is talking about. I don't think you could go wrong either ways.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:25 PM
detailersdomain
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

yes to see the difference from 106 to 85 on a pc is tough.

on a rotary its definitely there.

bluejam, 106ff/fa will have more cut than 85rd (but its not a huge amount) 85rd in theory should finish out better.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:59 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

If you are using a PC, just use SIP, on a green or orange pad (SP 6), it will take a while
then use 106 or 85 with a white pad (sp 6) after that go with the glaze one a black or white pad (sp 3).

It will take you all day to do this! Your arms will be very tired, try not to skimp after the SIP stetp, just keep on going, drink a energy drink to get you through it. Black takes a lot of work, but is awesome when you are done!!
Old 09-11-2008, 11:44 PM
bluejam
Rennlist Member

Default Finally!

Well, finally.
I went with the Nano PO106 with a white pad, followed by the Menzerna Glaze using a black pad. I then waxed her with P21S by hand. I love the way it goes on like buttah.
Sorry I didn't take any "before shots", but it had a nasty haze. Anyway, I am very happy with the results.
Thanks to all that responded. Much appreciated.
Now the pix...

Last edited by bluejam; 02-19-2014 at 02:18 AM.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:10 AM
detailersdomain
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

looks great how long did it take?
Old 09-12-2008, 07:12 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For further information on Menzerna polishes see article - http://detailingwiki.com/index.php5?...zerna_Polishes

Quick Reply: My Menzerna Polishing Plan?