Notices

leather conditioning question

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 07:29 PM
ckabee1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TOGWT, thanks for all of your insight; it's still very confusing, though.

I guess, I'm just struggling with what the best way to preserve/renew me leather is. I have heard such good things about leatherique. Oh, well.

You seem to be right-on about the protective layer. It feels like some crunchy outer layer on top of the leather. Is there any way to take this off, and redye the leather underneath to end up with pigmented leather like the cars you mentioned in post #14?

I would like my leather to be nice and supple again!
Old 03-06-2008, 08:58 PM
philcav7
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The rear seat leather was pretty dry in my 1986 944 when I got it two years ago. After two applications of leatherique, it is much better. The second application was marked improvement over the first.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:40 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ckabee1
TOGWT, thanks for all of your insight; it's still very confusing, though.

I guess, I'm just struggling with what the best way to preserve/renew me leather is. I have heard such good things about leatherique. Oh, well.

You seem to be right-on about the protective layer. It feels like some crunchy outer layer on top of the leather. Is there any way to take this off, and redye the leather underneath to end up with pigmented leather like the cars you mentioned in post #14?

I would like my leather to be nice and supple again!
This company offer a leather renovation service, a full line of tailor-made, ready-to-install automotive upholstery kits, leather car seat covers, carpets, door panels, auto headliners, convertible tops, top boots, top parts, and other automobile interior accessories.

Including replacements of original factory designed products and colours, or will customize them to your own colour combinations. Contact Information: 800-722-2292, Fax: 818-767-2786, North Hollywood, California – http//:www.gahh.com

I have some more information available but I'm midway through re-writing the leather care section of my detailing books, so my notes/info is a little disorganized at present
Old 09-08-2011, 11:49 PM
BuddyK
Instructor

Originally Posted by TOGWT
In order to use leather care products correctly and to obtain the maximum cleaning and protection results it is essential to be able to recognize the various types of pigmented leather and any protective finish applied

Connolly Leather Ltd:
Connolly Hide Care is a traditional lanolin based product that was recommended by Aston Martin, Bentley, Ferrari, Jaguar, Lotus and Rolls Royce as these vehicles were upholstered with oil-based pigmented leather hides. Connolly Leather Limited ceased trading in 2002, but their leather care and renovation products can still be obtained from Leather Care - http://www.leathercare-renovations.co.uk/extra.html

Connolly Leather article - http://www.leathercaredirect.com/hist.html

Water-based pigmentation is now used on leather upholstery; so leather doesn’t require oil-based conditioning, it just requires moisture replacement (hydration) the best way to do this is with a water-based leather care product.

As the materials and production methods that are used on automobiles change; we need to adapt to them and adjust products used and their application methodologies to keep pace with them

Thanks for this information TOGWT!

I have a new can of Connolly, but I guess I am NOT going to apply it to my "Special Cocoa Leather" seats in my 2010 Turbo.

I still need to search for something though. It's all still very unclear to me what the heck I should do.

I want the leather to retain the good leather smell (connolly used to have some of that good smell effect). Most if not all of the leather products end up smelling like armour all, and make the seats so slippery I can't stand it.

Leather is supposed to have a little bit of grip to it, it's supposed to feel good, smell good, look good, and wear good. I just do not really like the shiny armour all effect.

Is there someone who can recommend a leather product that enhances the leather smell rather than make it smell and feel like armour all?

Maybe I gotta get some Lexol?
Old 09-08-2011, 11:54 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Griots leather conditioner smells like leather.

Leather Masters does a great job conditioning and maintains the factory new leather smell.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:11 AM
BuddyK
Instructor

Originally Posted by Marine Blue

Leather Masters does a great job conditioning and maintains the factory new leather smell.

I'm ordering some Griots. Thanks!

Man I now have like 4 different sets of leather treatments just sitting on the shelf. I must have spent $300.00 over the last several years searching for stuff.

I have an official "Volvo" brand leather cleaner-conditioner set - at least I know it's going to be safe. It was OK on an old car - but didn't really smell like I want it too.

I have leather master cleaner and protector - (but no conditioner!), so that one pretty much sits there. Don't think it had any scent if I recall.

I have Connolly leather care - I used to use Connolly Hide Food and I loved it. It does have a kerosene smell, but I kinda like it somehow. But I want to be conservative - so it sits there. I think I'll douse my old 1999 C4 with it and see what I think. I'll probably love it even more. Now that I have the 2010 Turbo the old C4 isn't getting driven much. I might just put a little bit on my Turbo with the special cocoa leather. Just a little.

I have Optimum leather care - which I was hoping would be as excellent as all my other Optimum products, but it wasn't - it sits there now too. So slippery and it smells just like armour all - I'm sure it protects, but come on! This stuff is terrible in my opinion because of the slippery feel and armour all smell. What were they thinking on this one? Big miss and very surprising since I am addicted to all other Optimum brand products. Love Opti-Seal for example (but not for leather!).

I probably have some other leather stuff - like McGuires - probably fine - but again - doesn't smell good.

I'm now going to buy Lexol, Leatherique, and Griots! Haha!

Last edited by BuddyK; 09-09-2011 at 02:43 AM.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:57 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Marine Blue

Leather Surface Identification - http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-d...ml#post1451654

Proper Finished Leather Cleaning and Care - http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-d...ning-care.html

Leather Conditioning - http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-d...ml#post1454835

Using Oil-based Leather Care Products - http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-d...ml#post1450942

Winter is on its way so the above will provide some reading for you.... and if that's not enough - http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-d...l?daysprune=45 . . . enjoy
Old 09-09-2011, 09:28 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Nice write up TOGWT.

Leather Master Vital does not impart any smell to the leather which is fine for me since I like the factory new leather smell. Their Strong Cleaner is excellent, better than anything else I've tried including Leatherique, Lexol, Griots and Meguiars.

Griots Conditioner smells like leather and does a nice job but the finish is a bit glossier which is fine for certain colors but not on others.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:40 PM
Jim Devine
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

You might try using a hair dryer after putting on the conditioner. Don't get too close & keep it moving.
I have used this with Hide Food that just seemed to sit on the surface, but when warmed absorbed well.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:03 PM
BuddyK
Instructor

I received my Leatherique and the scent of it is what I was looking for.

I also received half of my Griots order, and it also smelled right.

Today I decided to try a little bit of the Leatherique rejuvenator oil on my cocoa special leather seats. I did a small area, then after I got into it I just went for a full dose - I could just tell this was the right stuff for my leather. This stuff does no harm as far as I can tell, it smells like a natural product, not like vinyl or plastic, and for me that was the main concern.

My car is a 2010, but already I could see a lot of wear on the drivers seat and I can already see a big difference with the treatment. Sorry guys, I should have taken some pictures, but actually when I started, I didn't notice anything wrong with my leather, I just wanted to preserve it, but now I can see that I'll be doing a leatherique treatment at least a couple times a year.

I'll use the cleaner on it later tonight or tomorrow. Rejuvenator oil first, then the cleaner - that's the order.

For a top coat protectant, I guess I'll use up my leather master stuff or the Griots, or maybe I'll give these other products to friends to try out.

For now I am totally sold on Leatherique.

Hope this helps others who were looking for the "best smelling" leather treatments. Leatherique is probably #1 for scent.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:50 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

I'm glad it worked out for you and met your expectations
Old 09-19-2011, 02:12 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thank you for posting your results, I think it's important to provide feedback so others can learn.

What's interesting is that we all come away with different opinions on smells and we all need to decide on our own what is best. Like you I've used a ton of different products and I have many products which I don't use on my car anymore. Instead I'll use these products on the couch in the house or on my wifes car and eventually they do all get used up.

Personally I'm not a big fan of Leatherique's smell but I love the way it works. I really like the fact that Leather Masters Vital doesn't smell like anything but it is a little sticky even when applied sparingly and I'm probably going to try some other products just for the hell of it to see if there's something better.

Last edited by Marine Blue; 10-18-2011 at 09:34 AM.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:10 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

[Thank you for posting your results, I think it's important to provide feedback so others can learn.]

+1
Old 10-18-2011, 05:20 AM
karenbarbara
3rd Gear

Default leather conditioning question

awesome post...

Quick Reply: leather conditioning question