Notices

Problem detailing the 993

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 10:47 PM
Black993
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Problem detailing the 993

I finally got my PC and Optimum compound/polish and sealer. I was able to do the WRX with no problem but I'm having some issues with the

I liked how the optimum products worked on the WRX but so far they aren't my favorite on the 993. I switched to some Meguires light cut swirl remover which worked amazingly well with an orange pad and then followed up with some meg. show car glaze polish. Problem is, I can't seem to get the polish off all the way. I'm using a lake county white pad to apply it, and misting quick detailer to remove it. Its leaving a nasty haze on the paint. Looks good until under florescent lights at night then I see the haze. I've also tried just lightly buffing off the polish w/o the QD but its difficult to remove that way and streaks pretty bad. I can rub it with my finger and it streaks so I know its on the surface and not from the optimum compound or anything.

Any ideas? I haven't washed it yet because I haven't finished the whole car...

Its driving me insane!
Old 02-23-2008, 12:22 AM
detailjohn
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find Subaru paint to be much more difficult than Porsche. Just make sure that your buffing pads are freshly cleaned, keep the speeds down on your buffer, and take your time.

John
Old 02-23-2008, 12:31 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Reapply the show car glaze by hand. Then use a clean Microfiber cloth and remove it by hand, the trick is not to remove all of it the first time. Let the Microfiber remove just the majority of the glaze leaving behind a semi coated streaky surface. Once you have removed the top layer on the entire car then start from the first panel with a new Microfiber and wipe again. The second wipe down will leave a streak free deep finish.

FYI, show car glaze doesn't really offer any type of protection and is typically used to hide swirls and light scratches. It typically only lasts about 7 - 10 days before the oils are removed with a quick detailer.

You may want to consider following up with Meguiars #26 or S100, both give a deep look and offer mild protection.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:55 AM
Black993
Drifting

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Reapply the show car glaze by hand. Then use a clean Microfiber cloth and remove it by hand, the trick is not to remove all of it the first time. Let the Microfiber remove just the majority of the glaze leaving behind a semi coated streaky surface. Once you have removed the top layer on the entire car then start from the first panel with a new Microfiber and wipe again. The second wipe down will leave a streak free deep finish.

FYI, show car glaze doesn't really offer any type of protection and is typically used to hide swirls and light scratches. It typically only lasts about 7 - 10 days before the oils are removed with a quick detailer.

You may want to consider following up with Meguiars #26 or S100, both give a deep look and offer mild protection.
Thanks for the reply.

The original plan was as follows:
Optimum Compound - Orange Pad (ended up with yellow since orange wasn't enough cut)
Opt. Polish
Opti-Seal
Coat of s100 24 hours later.

The Opti products just didn't seem to do what I wanted on the swirls and the swirl remover did make a difference when applying it after the Opt compound (weather or not it was just hiding them is a different story).

I think I may be using a bit too much product too from what I can tell. Didn't really seem like much but now I"m not so sure.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:55 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Definitely be careful with how much product you use. Too much will bind up your Microfibers quickly and you'll need more than two to get the job done. This is especially true with glazes.

I've had great success removing swirls using Megs Dual Action Cleaner Polisher. It's mild enough to use regularly and strong enough to remove the swirls and hazing caused by a rotary. Won't touch a scratch caused by brushes or scuffing.

S100 is a great product and inexpensive, it seems to work better on Porsche paint.
Old 02-23-2008, 01:50 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Sorry you're having trouble with your detail and the use of the Optimum products. I use Optimum pretty much exclusively on all my Porsche details so what I would do first is wash your Porsche with some dish washing soap or wash it normally and then clay it to strip off that glaze crud.

I would highly recommend straying away from the glaze products as they are more trouble than a help.

Set your PC on 5, use Optimum Polish with a polishing pad. A polishing pad from Lake Country would be white while finishing is black and/or blue. Orange and yellow are cutting or leveling pads. Yellow should never be used as this is a very harsh pad.

So apply about a quarter size dollop of Optimum Polish on the panel you wish to polish, don't prime or spritz your pad. Begin polishing, say the front fender, that quarter size amount should be able to cover your whole Porsche fender and you should work around that area for at least 5 minutes, working slowly. Many guys like to adjust their PC down to 3 for their last few passes or as they feel the polish is breaking down.

Check your work and see if those results are better (by the way, after your initial polish application you should only need now a nickel size drop to continue polishing) and if they are then continue around the car in the same fashion.

If it appears that your paint needs more work then instead of using the Optimum Compound go to a more aggressive pad while using the Optimum Polish. Apply the same amount and work it the same. After that orange pad then go back to the white pad (after the white pad you may want to go to a finer finishing pad).

After your paint is in the shape you want it to be then seal it with the Opti-Seal but again leave the glaze out of your plan.

Hope this helps,
Anthony
Old 02-23-2008, 05:00 PM
mr pg
Racer

I too use Meguiars, and the best way to get the polish off is to use 2 microfibre cloths. One to get the majority off, and a cleaner cloth to get the rest off. Works fine for me.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:35 PM
detailersdomain
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

My thoughts were either you are using too much product or your not working down the polish enough.
tel: 201-233-0003
Promo code is rennlist for 10% off anything on the site
Current Sales and Updates
Old 02-25-2008, 01:13 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 756 Likes on 397 Posts

It seems the meguiar's and optimum don't mix. This is common. I think doing what Anthony has mentioned, should do the trick You may want to switch to the optimum wax as well.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:34 PM
Black993
Drifting

I ended up getting the glaze off with clay. Final product came out good. I think I was using too much product. Thanks for the tips, I"ll post some pics when I get out of work a decent hour and can get some pictures.

Thanks again!
Old 02-26-2008, 05:41 PM
96C4S
Burning Brakes

glaze sucks
Old 03-08-2008, 06:48 AM
Todd Helme
Intermediate

Anthony uses OP products because he is a distributor for them. That said, Porsche's have soft paint, but Subaru's have the softest paint in the world. They are easy to correct, and perfect for a polish like OP, because its wet and prevent pad marring.

As far as Meguiars, if you are using #7, show car glaze, part of the problem is that it is oil based and designed to be wiped off wet. It doesnt' "dry" since it is an oil, but it can skim. The trick is to work a panel at a time, then wipe off while still wet. I personally wouldn't use a PC with it, as its over kill, IMHO. Just apply some to a foam pad, work in a section, wipe off. Do the next section, then come back to the orginal section (as it will still skim) and re wipe that one, before wiping off the section you just did.

Procede this way around the car and you will have an amazing wetness, IMO.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:29 AM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

If I use Optimum because I also sell them then why did I use them before I sold them?

Your advice is good but the
Anthony uses OP products because he is a distributor for them.
statement has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Last edited by Anthony Orosco; 03-08-2008 at 09:50 PM.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:23 AM
Todd Helme
Intermediate

I disagree, respectfully. If somebody has a vested interest in the product they are recommending, then shouldn't that be made clear to the person asking the question so they can weigh the validiy of the statement. Obviously your expertiste is appericated in using OP, but his other question was about Megs #7 (I believe). When you suggest products you sell rather than answering the question, then there is a problem, IMO.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:59 AM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Todd Helme
I disagree, respectfully. If somebody has a vested interest in the product they are recommending, then shouldn't that be made clear to the person asking the question so they can weigh the validiy of the statement. Obviously your expertiste is appericated in using OP, but his other question was about Megs #7 (I believe). When you suggest products you sell rather than answering the question, then there is a problem, IMO.
Dude, hardly anyone here knew that I sold Optimum until your comment, why? Because I don't advertise it BUT I do tell people about places other than myself that do sell it, like Phil as he is a sponsor. I was asked to be a sponsor but I declined.

The original poster already had Optimum so what's the harm in telling him my experience in how to get the better out of it? It would be different if I had told him to go out and buy it.

Besides, he already fixed the problem and he seemed to have no problem with the advice I and others gave him, correct?

I ended up getting the glaze off with clay. Final product came out good. I think I was using too much product. Thanks for the tips, I"ll post some pics when I get out of work a decent hour and can get some pictures.
My apologies to the original poster and others for this stupid rabbit trail.

Anthony

Quick Reply: Problem detailing the 993