Notices

Please help identify this tarnishing on my wheels-and how I remove it!(with pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008 | 07:53 PM
adamfogerty
Instructor

Default Please help identify this tarnishing on my wheels-and how I remove it!(with pictures)

Hi all,

Can anyone identify these gold-ish colour stains on my wheels?

How can I remove it?

I have tried both P21S Wheel Cleaner and Total Auto Wash, but had no joy.

Thanks in advance,

Adam

Old 01-27-2008 | 11:56 PM
detailersdomain
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

have you tried claying the wheels yet...looks like really caked on brake dust or something from the road.
tel: 201-233-0003
Promo code is rennlist for 10% off anything on the site
Current Sales and Updates
Old 01-28-2008 | 02:06 AM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Hmm....clay couldn't hurt.....how about something a tad stronger like simple green straight (not diluted) and let it soak.....

when you run your fingernail over it does it have a "lip" where it gets discolored?

It does look like some seriously hot brake dust that etched into the wheels.....if thats the case a very careful compounding or wetsanding is worth a shot.....cause if you can't get it off you need to refinish the wheels anyway!
Old 01-28-2008 | 09:03 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Road tar, brake dust, brake pad adhesive, all baked on and hardened-

Many of these hot metal particles land on your rim and literally fuse themselves to the surface. Finally there is brake pad adhesive, modern brake pads are complex compounds of metals, synthetic materials and adhesives (the binder system) which is designed to wear away under friction like the rest of the pad. The adhesives used in brake pads can be very difficult to remove and they are also corrosive and will etch the wheel surface, the metal particles from the pads and rotors will become a conduit for rust compromising the paint surface of your wheel.

1.Road dirt / tar / brake pad adhesive should be removed with a solvent type cleaner (Stoner’s Tarminator ™ ) and any bonded contaminants or over spray removed with Detailer's Clay, then clean surface with a chemical cleaner / polish (Zaino All-In-One) wash and dry wheel surface thoroughly.
2.Once the brake dust has been removed with a 100% acid-free wheel cleaner (P21S Wheel Cleaner) apply a citrus based cleaner (P21S Total Auto Wash) to the surface, agitate with a boar’s hair wheel brush and rinse off, dry thoroughly and then apply a polymer sealant for protection, this will also make future cleaning easier
Old 01-28-2008 | 09:06 AM
detailersdomain
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

couldn't have said better.
Old 01-28-2008 | 01:25 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

TOGWT, nice write up!

The polymer sealant is critical to reduce and or prevent future issues.

Adam with any luck your clearcoat is intact and you can get the wheels looking new again.
Old 01-28-2008 | 01:34 PM
adamfogerty
Instructor

Thanks for all the advice guys!

I took a gamble on these wheels and bought them off eBay without any pictures!

The price was right, so I'm not complaining. the rears are in top notch condition, it's only the front that have this problem.

I only mention it because I don't want you thinking I let my own wheels get into this state! I understand that regular maintenance makes things much easier in the long run - You don't have to deal with stuff like this!

I'll give a more agrresive cleaner and claying a go and report back how I get on!

Thanks again,

Adam
Old 01-28-2008 | 01:39 PM
detailersdomain
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

look forward to it.
Old 01-29-2008 | 11:46 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Looks more like a transportation coating, like cosmoline, that wasn't completely removed from the wheels during PDI at the dealership.

Try using some mineral spirits on those areas and inside the wheels. Try with a cotton terry towel first, elbow grease is needed, and if that doesn't work try using a Mr. Clean eraser pad.

The eraser pad may scratch the surface lightly so you may need to polish the wheels lightly after.

Anthony
Old 01-29-2008 | 11:53 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

It looks to be cosmoline or brake dust. On the face of the wheel, simply polish using a mild polish like Menzerna Final Polish. On the inner portion of the wheel, use a cosmoline remover like Zymol Strik. It safely removes cosmoline without damaginf the clear coat on the wheels
Old 01-30-2008 | 09:29 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

"I have tried both P21S Wheel Cleaner and Total Auto Wash, but had no joy."

I surmised that a de-limone solvent (citrus ) cleaner like P21s Total Auto or P21S Wheel Cleaner, either of which should have removed Cosmoline.
Old 01-30-2008 | 09:03 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TOGWT
"I have tried both P21S Wheel Cleaner and Total Auto Wash, but had no joy."

I surmised that a de-limone solvent (citrus ) cleaner like P21s Total Auto or P21S Wheel Cleaner, either of which should have removed Cosmoline.

Depends on time it has been sitting there, baking in. I've had a real difficult time removing cosmoline that had not been fully removed from the inner wheels parts as it seems heat + time = STUCK ON LIKE GLUE!!

I found soaking a towel in mineral spirits works well, then wash those areas and rinse well.

Anthony

Quick Reply: Please help identify this tarnishing on my wheels-and how I remove it!(with pictures)