Notices

ulitmate detailing machine???

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007 | 09:11 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Default ulitmate detailing machine???

http://www.ultimatedetailingmachine.com/

Has anyone tried this......I've used a PC in the past...but it just doesn't have the power to really correct much..... Would this be any better?
Old 09-08-2007 | 09:26 PM
useth4z
Instructor

No personal experience, but since you have the scrap hood, get a rotary. I have a PC and even with Optimum Hyper Compound and Yellow LC pad there are still some light spider webbing on my S2.

If you're pretty good with the PC, it may be time for a rotary. Just be careful around trim pieces (tape off) as you can mar the rub strips and window trim. I intended to practice on a scrap piece, but I learned on our 2001 Accord.

You have to make it to a Taco night so we can discuss.

Allan
Old 09-08-2007 | 09:27 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

I'd like to know, too. I received water stains from hell this week, and nothing - wash, detailer spray, vinegar - has gotten them off yet. I plan on getting the PC, but autopia is touting this new machine as being more powerful...
Old 09-08-2007 | 11:05 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Originally Posted by useth4z
No personal experience, but since you have the scrap hood, get a rotary. I have a PC and even with Optimum Hyper Compound and Yellow LC pad there are still some light spider webbing on my S2.

If you're pretty good with the PC, it may be time for a rotary. Just be careful around trim pieces (tape off) as you can mar the rub strips and window trim. I intended to practice on a scrap piece, but I learned on our 2001 Accord.

You have to make it to a Taco night so we can discuss.

Allan
Allan
The bummer with Tacos is I work 3pm to 11pm....lately just about every damm day too!!! Techincally I have fri-sat off...but of course I am writing this from work on SAT night!!

Your not too far away & have a very nice 944...I would love to meet up and talk shop with ya!

My thoughts that are PRO rotary....are mostly since I will practice on the old hoot.....maybe intentionally burning it to see just how far you have to go to get it to that point....

But if the ODM does have the power to "burn" paint....it might be the best of both worlds? I figure a Makita rotary turned down to the 600rpm setting is slow enough to not burn anything unless you are seriously ham fisted!!
Old 09-09-2007 | 12:09 AM
useth4z
Instructor

Are you going to the PCA concours in Walnut Creek on Sept 16th? If so, I'll look for your shark.
Old 09-09-2007 | 07:49 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Originally Posted by useth4z
Are you going to the PCA concours in Walnut Creek on Sept 16th? If so, I'll look for your shark.
I don't think I will make that one.....were moving into a new house this month...so my weekends are pretty much shot with moving-remodeling projects :>( That plus I work on Sundays

I will try to make the Sat the 15th autocross in Stockton at the fairgrounds though....we also have a PCA Pizza night in Stockton on the 14th......hosted by yosemite region...I will be there....I'm sure you could attend....drop me a PM for more details!
Old 09-09-2007 | 08:58 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I'm curious to see how the new machine works. I personally have great luck with the PC DA. It corrects the paint just fine. I can do without the noice and vibrations.
Old 09-09-2007 | 11:15 PM
rg588911
Rennlist Member

Default Ultimate detailing machine

I tried my new UDM today for the first time. It did a nice job of making a messy marred hood look better. I used a yellow cutting LC pad with Menzerna intensive polish. The car is black and was painted probably about five years ago. It has marring and etched in water marks sand blasted road derbis etc. I think it looks very nice after one pass of with the machine and the menzerna. Is it perfect? no. was able to do some correction but we are talking about a black 88 with a repaint. Marring is now just light swirls and aside from the un fixable sand blasting the job looks good. My guess is that it needs a bunch of passes to look better. The car did go from a 10 foot car to a 5 foot car but its not perfect.
Old 09-10-2007 | 11:18 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Rotary Polisher:
A high-speed polishing machine (Porter-Cable 7428, a Makita, DeWalt, Metabo, Hitachi, etc, which are all fine high-speed rotary machines) that have a direct-drive with selectable speed control that maintains a constant speed under varying loads conditions.

Used mainly by body repair / paint shops or very professional or experienced detailers due to its ability to both quickly and efficiently rectify more serious paint film surface imperfections (paint renovation / correction)

Random orbital buffer:
A US power tool company, Porter-Cable established in 1914, began manufacturing an electrically operated Variable-Speed Random-Orbit Sander in the 1990s for the wood-working industry, now one of the most popular tools used by professional and enthusiast automotive detailers alike. Often known by the companies initials PC (Porter-Cable) but also called a ROB (random orbital buffer) or DA (duel action) polisher

Pros- the random orbital buffer is manufactured as a sanding machine, but can be adapted as a very safe polishing machine, as it lacks the power to burn paint. It is very easy to use and is ideal for very minor paint correction and the application of car care products.

Cons- it lacks the power to produce the heat required to breakdown the diminishing abrasives in polishes designed for hard clear coats and / or paint correction / renovation, although it could be used for this purpose utilizing 4-inch foam pads to increase surface friction heat, it is very time consuming

Alternative random orbital buffers - Flex XC 3401 VRG, Bosch Gex 150 Turbo, Festool Rotex - RO125, Makita BO6040 Polisher (alternate between circular or dual-action modes)

Quick Reply: ulitmate detailing machine???