Notices

What are my dash and door panels made of?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 01:02 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What are my dash and door panels made of?

My window sticker says 'full leather seats" and the options list says 'supple leather seats" but nothing about the dash or door panels. Anyone know what they are made of? I want to use the correct detailing product on them. Should leather conditioner be used on vinyl?
Old 09-09-2007, 09:01 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 770 Likes on 405 Posts

You can use leather conditioner on vinyl. If you see any stitching in your P-car, then it's real leather. Otherwise, it's a lower grade leather or even vinyl made to look like leather. If that's the case, get a good vinyl cleaner like Autoglym Interior Shampoo, it cleans leather and uphulstry too, and clean. Then condition using a product like Zymol Vinyl or einszett Teifepfleger.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:22 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Leather:
Many people are unaware of the fact that since the late ‘80s early ‘90s leather in newer domestic cars is not 100% leather anymore. Approximately 80% of vehicle manufacturers have used covered leather for their interior upholstery. It’s made from natural hides, but uniquely treated with a light pigmented urethane paint coating or a vinyl covering to make it more viable for automotive seating. It retains the softness of natural top-grain leather but resists fading in direct sunlight, leathers worst enemy. This type of automotive upholstery finish should really be considered and treated as a vinyl.

Quick Reply: What are my dash and door panels made of?