Notices

How to remove sticky residue from racing tape?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 03:32 PM
911fiend
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove sticky residue from racing tape?

I had to use white racing tape to make numbers for my track day last week. I applied spray on wax before sticking on the tape, but still when I pulled it off there was some very sticky residue left behind. What's the best way to remove this?
Old 06-09-2007, 05:37 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Use Goo Gone - available from Home Depot

You need to get the goo gone onto the sticky area, and let it soak for 5-10 mins in the shade to start working on the goo.

Then use a cotton or open weave MF cloth to start working on the goo - using more goo gone

If you don't soak first, it's not going to come off easily - soaking is the key!

After the goo is gone, wash the whole area with lots of soapy water, and clay with the soapy water as well.

Then rinse with clear water, dry, and polish as required to remove any swirls before waxing.

The goo gone will not damage the paint - and you should be able to get all the goo off and the paint back to looking perfect.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:30 PM
911fiend
Instructor

Originally Posted by cdodkin
The goo gone will not damage the paint - and you should be able to get all the goo off and the paint back to looking perfect.
Awesome, I will try this ASAP. Thanks cdodkin!!
Old 06-09-2007, 11:58 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 911fiend
I had to use white racing tape to make numbers for my track day last week. I applied spray on wax before sticking on the tape, but still when I pulled it off there was some very sticky residue left behind. What's the best way to remove this?
Was it really racer's tape? It should not have left a residue like you describe (unless perhaps it was quite hot?).
Old 06-10-2007, 12:33 AM
cdodkin
Drifting

Originally Posted by 911fiend
Awesome, I will try this ASAP. Thanks cdodkin!!
No probs - had to do the same goo removal last week after peeling off a protective film which had started to lift at one corner.

Left a whole load of nasty gunk that looked inpenetrable.

Goo Gone did the trick - but only after I'd wasted 20 mins by not reading the instructions, and hence not soaked the gunk in GG first!

Finished off with a medium polish and then a cleaner wax after the wash/dry/clay cycle - can't tell anything was ever there!
Old 06-10-2007, 04:11 AM
911fiend
Instructor

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Was it really racer's tape? It should not have left a residue like you describe (unless perhaps it was quite hot?).
Yes, it was a really hot day at Buttonwillow (100+ degrees) I was told it was racing tape but I'm not entirely sure, I didn't have much time...
Old 06-10-2007, 04:12 AM
911fiend
Instructor

Finished off with a medium polish and then a cleaner wax after the wash/dry/clay cycle - can't tell anything was ever there!
Good to know, thanks again! I'm going to use my usual Klasse AIO for the wax part. Hopefully that does the trick...
Old 06-10-2007, 11:49 AM
cdodkin
Drifting

AIO is perfect.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:59 AM
911fiend
Instructor

AIO is perfect.
Cdodkin, your steps worked flawlessly! The goo gone took the sticky stuff off with ease. I skipped the clay step, but I noticed the goo gone removed any layer of wax so I did apply the Klasse AIO. Thanks for the advice, I wouldn't never know what to do if it weren't for you!

Quick Reply: How to remove sticky residue from racing tape?