Notices

Paint Question, 993

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007 | 05:07 PM
eswartz
Intermediate

Default Paint Question, 993

I hit a patch of ice last week, slid sideways into a tree and dented my passenger door. Insurance will cover the door replacement. To do it right, I was told that entire right side of the car will need to be repainted; color blended in and then sprayed with two coats of clear. While the work is being done, I was going to have the shop do several other things to spruce up the car.

Does anyone have an idea of what to expect for cost?

1) I am having them remove the bumperettes. The respray of the bumper will be covered by my accident, but the filling of the bumperettes will not.

2) There is a small problem with the hood, and paint is lifting fronm the cowl, around the windshield. The hood was painted at some point in the car's life. They did a bad job. So, I will be painting the entire front end of the car. They will need to remove the windshield.

3) I was also going to remove the basket handle, have them fill in the holes and add the split grill.

These guys are top notch. I just want to get some input on other Rennlister's experience and ideas from a cost stand point.

Thanks,

Ethan
Old 02-23-2007 | 09:09 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

As far as the bumperettes go, the only thing you should really pay for is the prep work. The paint they're going to use should have a flex agent for the bumper and should be the same for the bpettes. The prep work would involve sanding down the plastic to rough it up, priming, and then paint and clear. So essentially, they'd pull them off, sand them, put it back on to prime, paint, and clear with the rest of the bumper. I'd say an hour or two worth of labor at the most.

To paint an enire front end, done properly, shouldn't cost more than $3500. By the whole front end, I'm assuming you're saying the fenders, bumper, hood, etc. There's a lot to take apart and put back together if done properly.

As for the basket handle, not sure.

Hope this helps you. Just a thought; if you go through with the whole side, front end, bumpers, might as well do the other side. This way all the orange peel matches and you essentially have a new paint job that could be better than factory if these guys are that good.

Moe

Quick Reply: Paint Question, 993