Notices

Whats the best wax for new white paint?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 02:09 AM
420WHP944
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Whats the best wax for new white paint?

Hi guys,
I've recently repainted my car using the original type single stage urethane paint ( no clearcoat ). I haven't waxed it yet as I want to allow a few months curing time. Question is, there are so many products out there and want to know what you pro-detailers would recommend as the best shine/protection wax for the paint?. The surface has been wet sanded and polished to a very high gloss with no orange peel and super smooth. I'm looking for the right wax to keep it that way?

Many thanks in advance!
Old 02-03-2007, 06:39 PM
tdekany
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finish Kare #1000 paste wax. Hands down.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:41 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Light coloured paint:
Lighter colour paints (i.e. Silver, White, etc (the exception is speed yellow) will never obtain jetting (the so called ‘wet-look’) of black or dark colours as they do not exhibit visible depth, light colours tends to refract light instead of reflecting it. You can obtain a good gloss provided the paint is good quality and if it’s prepared and detailed correctly; washed, cleaned (detailer’s clay) polished and a polymer sealant added (Zaino, Klasse AIO and SG, Jeffswerkstatt - Acrylic Jett ) these sealants will provide a flat silvery-white shine, but without ‘depth’. By adding a Carnauba wax as an LSP (Pinnacle Souverän Paste Carnauba, Victoria Concourse or Autoglym Super Resin Polish) the oils that are formulated in the Carnauba waxes provide a reflective gloss, which causes jetting (a ‘wetting’ of the surface)

For optimal results the surface of a light coloured paint to show gloss is very much dependant upon good / excellent paint condition, adequately prepped to remove contaminants and minor imperfections. Detailer’s clay (Sonus SFX Ultra-Fine Detailing Clay Bar) and / or Paint cleaner (Zaino PC or Klasse AIO) should be a regular part of the preparation process.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:01 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 698 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by 420WHP944
Hi guys,
I've recently repainted my car using the original type single stage urethane paint ( no clearcoat ). I haven't waxed it yet as I want to allow a few months curing time. Question is, there are so many products out there and want to know what you pro-detailers would recommend as the best shine/protection wax for the paint?. The surface has been wet sanded and polished to a very high gloss with no orange peel and super smooth. I'm looking for the right wax to keep it that way?

Many thanks in advance!
As any good pro will tell you, there isn't a "best" wax out there for any application. It all comes down to the "look" you want, how much time you want to spend caring, and $$ you want to spend. As TOGWT suggested, a huge portion of any car's final appearance is hinged on the prep work. By that we mean how well you clean and prep the paint prior to waxing. Even a white car will have swirls and imperfections, however, it's harder to see. Yours is freshly painted, color sanded, and all-in-all, has a potential to look AMAZING if the color sanding has been done properly. If you came to me and asked what I would do here's my recommendation: 1. Wash and clay the car. This will further clean the paint to remove any contaminants accumulated from the time your car was painted to whenever you decided to bring it to me. 2. Depending on the condition of the paint, by that I mean the work done by whoever color sanded and painted it, I'd either have to correct or level the finish to where it should be, or it would already be in excellent shape. It's this step you access the finish by putting it under a fluorescent light, halogens, the sun, etc. If everything looks good, I'd simply go to the next step. 3. Polish using Zymol HD-Cleanse. It's this step that is going clean the paint further, remove light micro-swirls from washing/drying at paint shop, light micro-marring from the clay, and basically prep the finish for the wax. 4. Wax using either Zymol Titanium or Destiny. This is where the $$ comes in. I like Titanium, around $70 /jar because it protects for a relatively good amount of time, 3-4 months. It's easy to apply and the jar will do about 50 applications if you invest the $$. If you wanted more protection, my next level up is Destiny. It's a phenomenal wax, will easily last 5-6 months with proper washing routine and garaging of the car. However, if you wanted to buy the wax and do it yourself, it is a $500 investment. This is why I'd turn you to Concours, around $180. Why I like Zymol is because it's a natural product, I do all the work by hand, even the wax is applied by melting it in your palms and massaging it into the paint, and it last a heck of a long time. You will be bonding with our car in a way you've never done before Oh yes, Zymol does have a distinct difference between other waxes that you will notice. Because it's natural and has a very high quality and concentration of carnauba, it has a subtle glow as apposed to the gloss that synthetics products have. Your finish will have gloss, it's just not the type that is so glossy, you can't even make out the paint definition. But since your car is a light color, you will never really get the depth of shine, jetness of colour, and noticeable optical clarify as you would notice with a darker color car. Some other good waxes are P21S, Klasse makes a great sealant that is silicone-free, and Optimum products are good too. I have not used or seen the finish in person with Optimum, but I hear very good things on this forum and other forums. Hope this helps.
Old 02-04-2007, 01:05 PM
420WHP944
Pro

Thanks guys for the great advice Here's a pic showing the level of shine I have now ( no wax applied yet ).
Attached Images  
Old 02-04-2007, 03:06 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

It looks like a primo paint job. Make sure you post after pics
Old 02-04-2007, 05:14 PM
tdekany
Advanced

Originally Posted by 420WHP944
Thanks guys for the great advice Here's a pic showing the level of shine I have now ( no wax applied yet ).

It looks like that the prep work has been done properly.

As others have said there is no "best" wax

This is my own opinion for your white car. FK1 #1000 will make the paint look like it has a clear coat on it. In one hour you can put on 3 layers. Not only there is nothing else that I know of that comes close to the longevity of this paste wax, its protection is in another league. You do want to apply it with a pc though.

I will be doing a white M3very soon (Only I touch that car so the paint is perfect) that will get 106ff & FK1 #1000 - I'll post some pictures for you.

One coat of #1000 on this light blue Jag (sorry) Not Single Stage paint though, but you get the idea:

Or you can order Chemical Guy's XXX paste wax (47% white carnauda).

As far as Yellow wax, Detailers Pride's Max Wax beats out Zymol's Carbon. NOT my opinion only. It is half the price.

You don't always have to spend alot of money to have an excellent finish.

If I were you, I'd use either Menzerna 106ff or Optimum's Poli Seal with a white or green pad prior to using protection.

PS: I love applying protection on our cars so for me durability is not an issue when it comes to waxes/sealants.

I am not against any of the other recommendations. They are all very good.

Good luck with what ever you decide to use and please post large pictures.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:36 PM
420WHP944
Pro

Thanks again guys for the recommendations. It'll be June before I get back to Ireland ( thats where car is, I'm currently in FL ). I painted the car myself using Sikkens 2 pack single stage urethane and I'm extremely pleased with it. Thats why I've asked you pro detailers what should I be using to keep the shine/gloss and protect it.

tdekany+moemisty, I'll post more pics but I'm limited to the size of 147k? the pictures I have are much larger but they shrink when I ereduce the size to 147k? Please post those pics of the white bmw!
Old 02-05-2007, 01:48 AM
kcl
Instructor

Originally Posted by MoeMistry
As any good pro will tell you, there isn't a "best" wax out there for any application. It all comes down to the "look" you want, how much time you want to spend caring, and $$ you want to spend. As TOGWT suggested, a huge portion of any car's final appearance is hinged on the prep work. By that we mean how well you clean and prep the paint prior to waxing. Even a white car will have swirls and imperfections, however, it's harder to see. Yours is freshly painted, color sanded, and all-in-all, has a potential to look AMAZING if the color sanding has been done properly. If you came to me and asked what I would do here's my recommendation: 1. Wash and clay the car. This will further clean the paint to remove any contaminants accumulated from the time your car was painted to whenever you decided to bring it to me. 2. Depending on the condition of the paint, by that I mean the work done by whoever color sanded and painted it, I'd either have to correct or level the finish to where it should be, or it would already be in excellent shape. It's this step you access the finish by putting it under a fluorescent light, halogens, the sun, etc. If everything looks good, I'd simply go to the next step. 3. Polish using Zymol HD-Cleanse. It's this step that is going clean the paint further, remove light micro-swirls from washing/drying at paint shop, light micro-marring from the clay, and basically prep the finish for the wax. 4. Wax using either Zymol Titanium or Destiny. This is where the $$ comes in. I like Titanium, around $70 /jar because it protects for a relatively good amount of time, 3-4 months. It's easy to apply and the jar will do about 50 applications if you invest the $$. If you wanted more protection, my next level up is Destiny. It's a phenomenal wax, will easily last 5-6 months with proper washing routine and garaging of the car. However, if you wanted to buy the wax and do it yourself, it is a $500 investment. This is why I'd turn you to Concours, around $180. Why I like Zymol is because it's a natural product, I do all the work by hand, even the wax is applied by melting it in your palms and massaging it into the paint, and it last a heck of a long time. You will be bonding with our car in a way you've never done before Oh yes, Zymol does have a distinct difference between other waxes that you will notice. Because it's natural and has a very high quality and concentration of carnauba, it has a subtle glow as apposed to the gloss that synthetics products have. Your finish will have gloss, it's just not the type that is so glossy, you can't even make out the paint definition. But since your car is a light color, you will never really get the depth of shine, jetness of colour, and noticeable optical clarify as you would notice with a darker color car. Some other good waxes are P21S, Klasse makes a great sealant that is silicone-free, and Optimum products are good too. I have not used or seen the finish in person with Optimum, but I hear very good things on this forum and other forums. Hope this helps.
This is great info Moe. I'm currently using Menzerna products for my cars. Would you recommend the Zymol products instead. My knowledge of car care is limited, so it's great to hear expert advises.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:52 AM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

John
Your paint looks good in the pics....it will only get better after a proper polishing-waxing.....if you want you can email me the pics and I'll resize them and post them for you!
Old 02-06-2007, 01:57 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by kcl
This is great info Moe. I'm currently using Menzerna products for my cars. Would you recommend the Zymol products instead. My knowledge of car care is limited, so it's great to hear expert advises.
I think Menzerna polishes are the best I've ever used. Zymol products are great for finishing up or if your car is in great shape and has the typical wash swirls that are light. I like the subtle "glow" that is Zymol's trademark look IMHO. I've used Menzerna's FMJ on wheels but not on paint. If you are going to try Zymol, the lowest wax I'd recommend is Titanium. If you got the extra $$, go for Concours. PM me if you need more info.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:31 PM
420WHP944
Pro

Ok guys,
Bigger pics
Attached Images  
Old 02-06-2007, 03:37 PM
420WHP944
Pro

Attached Images  
Old 02-06-2007, 03:44 PM
420WHP944
Pro

Attached Images  
Old 02-06-2007, 03:58 PM
420WHP944
Pro

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Whats the best wax for new white paint?