Notices

Rotary model question

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 11:01 PM
dyazdani
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rotary model question

I've been contemplating the purchase of an electric polisher and through several searches obviously came up with the PC model being one of the more popular orbital type polishers. I'm not sure the wife will be happy with another $200 tool, so I'm exploring other avenues.

My question is if anyone owns or has tried the variable speed rotary from Harbor Freight? Here's a link

I've only found one reference in the search engine. I do realize that more finesse is required with the rotary than with an orbital. I've got an older vehicle that I can use for practice as well.

Thanks in advance...
Old 12-29-2006, 10:44 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 768 Likes on 404 Posts

As a professional, I'd recommend staying away from a rotary. A rotary takes years to master and mistakes can be VERY costly. I'd get the DA from autodetailingsoltions.com. It's the Meguiar's version which is a porter cable w/ lifetime warranty. It's about $150 and you get some other extras. You can still achieve excellent result with a fraction of the risk of using a rotary. Just my advice.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:24 AM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

THe PC should not cost you $200. Check to see if Lowe's is running a sale they sell the Porter Cable orbital polisher.
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...6SP&lpage=none
I think I picked up my PC at Coastal Tool for $110 but you still have to buy the flexible backing plate ($20)

for the velcro pads and at least one polishing pad and one final buffing pad. Probably another $50.
Detailcity.com has a monthly newsletter which will save you 10% on a big order like a new PC.
http://detailcity.com/lake-country-6...foam-pads.html
Griots garage sells a nice orbital as well, I'm not sure if its any cheaper.

Considering what a high end pro detailer is going to charge you to use his PC on your car,
$150 is a no brainer. Like buying a washing machine vs. wash board.

Last edited by perfectlap; 12-29-2006 at 11:48 AM.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:45 AM
dyazdani
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the replies. I'll skip the rotary and wait until I can buy the DA polisher without causing great pain around the house.

My car's paint isn't in need of major polishing at the moment, so I'll stick with hand applied products for now (I currently use Zaino's full line).

Thanks again.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:01 PM
ekeeton
Instructor

FWIW, Coastal Tool has the polisher and 6" pad kit (the contour backing pad and counterweight) for $120.
Old 12-29-2006, 02:27 PM
dyazdani
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the site, Coastal seems to have one of the best deals. Moe, I looked at that site yesterday and the a lot of the site is down, may be related to the maintenance over the holidays.

$120 is a bit better, my $200 was based on the tool plus bonnets/pads, etc. I may be able to "trade" another unused toy for this one
Old 12-29-2006, 02:32 PM
ekeeton
Instructor

In a variation on an old saw, my greatest fear is that I'll die and my wife will sell my car stuff for what I told her I paid for them.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:24 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As an 'in between' step you might want to consider this tool (US version available also)

The Rotex RO 125 is a departure from the conventional sanders because it is actually two sanders in one. This dual mode sander fulfils all your fine random orbit sanding needs with its 5" diameter, 3.6mm (9/64") stroke and with the press of a button turns into an aggressive yet very controllable rotary sander. Perhaps one reason it is so controllable and aggressive in the rotary mode is because the pad performs a random orbit while it is rotating, an operation that I believe is unique to the Rotex.. With accessories you can also use this sander in a third mode, that of a polisher. At 4.4lbs the Rotex is light enough for extended use and its ergonomic design feels right at home in your hands.

Specifications: Festool RO 125
Power consumption: 500 Watts / 4.2 amps 120 v AC
Pad diameter: 5" (125 mm)
Speed rotary motion: 300 - 600 rpm
Speed eccentric motion: 3000 - 6000 rpm
Sanding stroke: 9/64" (3.6 mm)
Dust extractor connection: 1" (27 mm)
Weight: 4.4 lbs. (2 kg)

http://www.festool.com.au/artikel/ar...LNUM&uk=1&hk=4
Old 12-31-2006, 04:05 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 768 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by dyazdani
Thanks for the site, Coastal seems to have one of the best deals. Moe, I looked at that site yesterday and the a lot of the site is down, may be related to the maintenance over the holidays.

$120 is a bit better, my $200 was based on the tool plus bonnets/pads, etc. I may be able to "trade" another unused toy for this one
Get the Meguiar's version. It's a PC but with a lifetime warranty. Try that site again. The unit is arounf $150 and comes with a pad and backing plate. To use the Lake Country pads, I wsitched to the Lake Country backing plate but that's not necessary. I'd just recommend using the LC pads apposed to the Meguiar's.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:25 PM
EdC
Pro

A good tool will be a joy forever to use, and be cheaper in the long run than a cheap model that will liklely have to be replaced. Stick with the PC DA model and Lake Country pads. They are sold in a bunch of places. Here in another one: http://www.properautocare.com/porcabpolac.html
Old 01-01-2007, 11:51 PM
detailersdomain
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2nd on MoeMistry's thoughts on the Rotary/hi speed.

The PC is gonna be your best best, $150-$200 for a PC and pads/adapter, etc is worth every penny.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:24 PM
tdekany
Advanced

Yes, definately get the pc first before you put a rotary to the paint.

Quick Reply: Rotary model question