Wax evaporates-who knew?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 02:50 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Wax evaporates-who knew?

One of those things that I guess I knew, but never thought about.
When I used to wax the cars for the winter, using P21S (for the garage queen cabriolet) and Blitz (for the track car), it never occurred to me that the wax was evaporating from the surface the minute I put it on. It therefore made more sense to wax just before the Spring unveiling.
Now that I am moving to an acrylic for the track car, I suppose it is less important, but still, it never occurred to me that the wax on the car had a life to it (other than wear from sunlight, washing. etc.).
Always something new to learn.
Old 12-26-2006, 03:40 PM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fracture/evaporation temperatures: Polymers 350oF, Silicone oil 350oF, Mineral oils 200oF, Synthetic blends (Carnauba wax / polymers) 200oF, Carnauba wax 180oF, and Bee’s wax 130oF. In actual practice the high temperatures frequently encountered by vehicles from the radiation causes wax compounds to melt, for example, a painted surfaces exposed to ambient temperatures of 85oF in direct sunlight, will obtain a temperature of 195 degrees or more. It should be noted that there is a range of temperatures at which melting begins and that the 'melting point' is the end point of that range (See also Wax, Polymers)

Durability:
Generally you can expect 50% of your Carnauba wax layer to be gone after 30 days, 75% after 60 days and 95% gone after 90 days. You should plan on waxing your car four (4) times a year. You can extend the waxes life expectancy by parking indoors, using a car cover and by using a quick detailer spray (QD) like Pinnacle Crystal Mist. Dependant upon the polymer used (Zaino, Duragloss, etc) in the formulation of a synthetic product they will usually last 2-4 times longer than a natural wax
Old 12-26-2006, 05:00 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks; even though the garage queen is just that (sadly, I only do about 1500 miles/year in it), garaged and covered, the beautiful P21S finsh must be gone my mid-summer.
Sounds a re-wax in July or so might be a good idea.
The track car will be operating under more harsh conditoons and so I am changing to acrylic.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:12 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yup, a big reason why I see fewer and fewer people using Carnauabas like Souveran, P21S and its cheaper twin, S100. They cost twice as much and last barely half as long, tough to keep clean too.

you can get a very wet shine that lasts a very long time with acrylic blends or plain acrylics.

Quick Reply: Wax evaporates-who knew?