Notices

Not your usual "respray color mis-match" question

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 02:39 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Not your usual "respray color mis-match" question

I've searched here and elsewhere for an answer... can't find a thing. Here is the situation:

- Midnight Blue metallic respray, most of car redone
- Had some issues in the finish, shop had to redo hood and front fenders
- Fenders were resprayed, I wanted to bring the hood back another day for it to be redone (so I didn't have to leave the car again)
- Redone fenders were now lighter than the hood
- Hood resprayed about 2 weeks later (same batch of paint)
- Hood is now lighter than the fenders
- Fenders definitely darkened over a few weeks' time

I am now hoping the hood will darken to match the fenders. It should...

Anyone ever hear of a dark metallic paint getting darker as it cures? Maybe the clearcoat curing does this?
The fenders definitely got darker as compared to valance under front windshield, this was not resprayed (of course, now it needs to be done).

Any clues?

Last edited by MarkD; 12-12-2006 at 03:18 PM.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:46 PM
F1Fan
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm far from an expert on paint but I have never heard of a color getting darker after a period of time. When the painter sprays a test panel to color match I don't believe they don't factor in or adjust for a curing color change. The following variables are but a few of the things that can effect color even though the paint was mixed to the same formula: Air pressure to gun, temperature, gun speed, spray pattern, how the mica (metallic particles) lies, drying time. I'm sure someone more knowledgable could go on. Very much an art to get paint to match and it is why they blend to adjacent panels in order to fool the eye.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:50 PM
F1Fan
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Typing/proofreading error: The sentence above should read "...I don't belive they factor in or adjust for a curing color change".

So much for my multi-tasking.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:15 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You see why I am perplexed. I realize that there are many variable affecting final finish. The color has darkened, that I know for sure.
Wondering if anyone knows of this phenomenon... really strange.
Not a problem as long as that hood ends up the same!
Old 12-28-2006, 12:27 AM
EdC
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Read all of this article and you will find your answer.
http://www.autobodysupply.net/auto-p...olor-Match.htm

"Metallic colors will cause variances in color when applied. Temperature, paint film thickness, flash off time between coats, fluid tip sizes, speed of the spray gun, surface type (Plastic or Metal) and humidity will all cause the color to shift lighter or darker.

The rule of thumb: the longer it takes to dry, the darker the color will change as it dries. This is caused by pigment floatation. The metallic flakes will settle down to the bottom of the paint film and push the pigment up causing the color to shift darker.

The reasons above only mention the variables at the car manufacturers level. So what happens to a color after three years of sunshine? Many people think that colors do not change, but they do, and I will prove it. If you own a car that is at least three years old and has been out in the sun most of the time, remove a pinstripe and you will see the original color when you bought the car.

The sunlight has ultra-violet, and has absorbed some of the pigments. Blue metallic colors sometimes shift to a greener shade, and reds will turn pinkish or more orange. The auto body shop has to deal with matching an oxidized color in addition to new OEM colors. The new paint to be applied will look brighter and cleaner but the rest of the car looks dead even if you polish it."

To get the best match overall, it would seem to require that all the parts be done at the same time.

Quick Reply: Not your usual "respray color mis-match" question