Notices

Meguiar's NXT car wash?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 01:44 PM
CT03911
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Meguiar's NXT car wash?

I understand the deal with the waxes that have silicone in them. The NXT car wash is "synthetic" but does not say if it cantains silicone. What do you guys think as far as using it for a wash? I've been using it for a few years I guess.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:26 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 738 Likes on 390 Posts

According to their MSDS, it does not contain silicone. The 4 main ingredients are Coconut Diethanolamide, Diethanolamine, Cocamido Propyl Betaine, Lauryl Ether Sulfate. It's got a pH of 8.5; so it is on the basic side.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:29 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok Moe, in the previous NXT post you insisted that the reason my 996 looked good each week after an NXT wash, was
It's looking good every week becasue you're adding more silicone... ...Meguair's, and other mediocre companies that only care about getting your money know your car's paint better than the paint manufacturer
Now you say that NXT wash has no silicone.

So get your story straight - which is it?

Last edited by cdodkin; 12-15-2006 at 07:57 PM.
Old 12-16-2006, 12:04 PM
CT03911
Banned

Thanks Moe.
Old 12-16-2006, 12:14 PM
CT03911
Banned

CD, I'm pretty sure what's going on is the wax has silicones in it. According to Moe the wash does not and I can verify there is nothing on the label about silicones either for the wash. Most all of that previous thread was about waxes. I saw where you did speak of the wash but I'll bet his response was regarding the waxes again. I have been to a body shop recently because another car needed the hood resprayed. They also said avoid silicones and that was obviously due to a re-paint but my impressioin was paint guys don't like silicones much. I guess I'll finish up the NXT wash I have and may find another product after that. Too many good company products out there to mess with one that deals at all with silicone.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:55 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS):
A material safety data sheet (MSDS) for a substance is not primarily intended for use by the general consumer, focusing instead on the hazards of working with the material in an occupational situation. For example, an MSDS for a cleaning solution is not highly pertinent to someone who uses a can of the cleaner once a year, but is extremely important to someone who does this in a confined space for 40 hours a week. The MSDS is required to state the chemical's risks, safety and impact on the environment.

A MSDS is a document that contains details of the hazards associated with a particular chemical and provides information regarding its safe use. They are not actual formulations but are primarily used for the safe handling, shipping, storage and disposal of chemicals and usually only list chemical families, not the actual chemical. When accessing MSDS documents, please note that certain data fields will be generic and may or may not reflect the information relevant to the recipient and/or the material / package size (including but not limited to the manufacturer / supplier address) http://www.msdsonline.com/

Silicone is no considered a "hazardous to health product" (its used in lipstick amoungst many other beauty products) But to a detailer there are many types of silicone, some of which are 'hazardous' to paint
Old 12-18-2006, 04:08 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by cdodkin
Ok Moe, in the previous NXT post you insisted that the reason my 996 looked good each week after an NXT wash, was

Now you say that NXT wash has no silicone.

So get your story straight - which is it?
Our previous discussions were about NXT WAX, not soap. So what's the confusion here?
Old 12-18-2006, 12:13 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The confusion appears to be that I asked you specifically about NXT wash, and you responded about silicone.

I said:
Comes up looking great every week with a NXT Wash - so I'm not sure the short lasting tag is valid.
You said:
It's looking good every week becasue you're adding more silicone.
Maybe you didn't read my post before, and were just responding about the NXT wax - but I was specifically asking you about the NXT shampoo.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:02 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by cdodkin
The confusion appears to be that I asked you specifically about NXT wash, and you responded about silicone.

I said:

You said:

Maybe you didn't read my post before, and were just responding about the NXT wax - but I was specifically asking you about the NXT shampoo.

Obviously there was a confusion; we were all talking about NXT Wax. To my understanding, Meguiars' whole NXT line contains silicone. I was surprised when reading their MSDS that silicone was not included for their wash. However, this does not mean the product doesn't contain silicone. I will contact Meguiars personally and find out if silicone is in there. This has nothing to do with Meguiars not being a good product. It just goes back to our philosophy of not using silicone-based products. Time and time again, most good body shops and professional detailers, not to mention paint manufacturers, have recommended against using silicone-based products. Unless you're a majority share holder of a silicone manufacturing company, I don't see what all the fuss is about.

Quick Reply: Meguiar's NXT car wash?