Notices

underbody cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 02:42 PM
rg588911
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts
Default underbody cleaning

I just picked up an 88 911 after having owned only new porsches. The underbody is dirty and it looks like it hasnt been cleaned since 88. I love clean wheel wells specifically. ANy suggestions on products to remove caked road grime without harming the oil lines and other sensitive parts? I do not want to paint under there.
Thanks
Ryan
Old 10-18-2006, 08:34 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do they look like this, or worse?

I cleaned these with a water based degreaser and a steam vapor cleaner. Soak the area with the degreaser, have some brushes handy to dislodge the heavy grime and flush with clean water....or if you have a heavy duty steam vapor cleaner use that.

The results.

It's a DIRTY job though....keep yer mouth closed!
Old 10-18-2006, 09:00 PM
rg588911
Rennlist Member

Some parts are like that and some parts are a little worse. I appreciate your reply as your work looks amazing. I figured it was going to take some elbow grease. What kind of degreaser would you use and where would I find a steamer?
Thx
Ryan
Old 10-18-2006, 09:07 PM
Luus
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UH-OH i think I need to get a steam cleaner What was the degreaser you used anthony?
Old 10-20-2006, 09:04 AM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rg588911
Some parts are like that and some parts are a little worse. I appreciate your reply as your work looks amazing. I figured it was going to take some elbow grease. What kind of degreaser would you use and where would I find a steamer?
Thx
Ryan
Good morning,

I get my degreaser from Top Of The Line. The degreaser name is "Extreme", here is a link. These are products for pros so there are no fancy labels or bottles.

http://www.topoftheline.com/all-purpose-cleaner.html

The steamer I use is also a heavy duty professional model and it's pretty pricey....BUT....it works as promised. Mine is now over 2 years old and it has never let me down as of yet. Here is a link to mine but by all means shop around, you may find a nice one at a very nice price but make sure you pay close attention to their warranty, the PSI (at least 55 PSI or greater) and make sure it has the "on/off" switch on the handle instead of the machine. It should also have a deliver temperature of at least 190 degrees.

http://www.topoftheline.com/vaporblitziv.html

(There is an AFTER picture on this page that is somewhat "green". Don't be alarmed by that as something happened to the color of the picture, not the car itself)

Hope that helps,
Anthony
Old 10-20-2006, 07:33 PM
rg588911
Rennlist Member

Thank you for being so helpful. I had planned on using simplegreen to degrease. Is that ok?
Old 10-20-2006, 10:05 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Very welcome

Use the "extreme" Simple Green... much better than the original simple green.

Anthony
Old 10-21-2006, 11:52 PM
rg588911
Rennlist Member

[IMG] [/IMG] Anthony HELP!
So I spent the better part of the day steaming and scrubbing the UNderside of the front fenders. Wow it was dirty. I cant seem to get it clean with the simplegreen max. I hit it with the steamer and that helps but it seems like the degreaser is overpowered. THere is a layer of caked sirt that has almost become like a paint. I am guessing that it was oil from a long time ago that had sprayed out in there and then gor covered by road grime and dirt. It is literally like stripping paint. Please help it is brown down there!!!
Old 10-22-2006, 01:35 AM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Are you allowing a long dwell time for the degreaser? I would spray the area, then just as it begins to evaporate spray it again and just let it dwell allowing it to really soak.

If they have never been cleaned then it will come off in layers making it a very dirty job, as you have witnessed. If need be use the Simple Green at a higher strength.

Anthony

Quick Reply: underbody cleaning