Notices

Cover question

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 09:59 PM
Rrrockhound
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cover question

Bear with me if this is a stupid question, but are there any precautions I should take before covering the car for the winter? It will spend the winter in my garage and I'll probably remove the cover once in a while to tinker with it, but for the most part it will stay covered for weeks at a time. Is this bad? Is there any damage a cover can do if not removed once in a while, even if it's dry and clean?
Old 10-11-2006, 10:38 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 709 Likes on 370 Posts

If you're covering it, make sure it is washed and clean before putting the cover on. Next, make sure the material the cover is made of is breathable. I hear good things about the Noah fabric. Other than that, you're good to go.
Old 10-12-2006, 05:22 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Personally, I would never use a cover on a garaged car but rather leave it alone and to control the dust I would use "No-Rinse" on it every week.

Now if the garage is small and you fear it being banged up then a cover may be a wise choice but as Moe stated....make sure the cover is clean and the car is clean before you put it to bed

Anthony
Old 10-12-2006, 09:36 PM
Rrrockhound
Racer

I have to use a cover, otherwise the cat will have her way with the car, sliding her gritty paws all over the hood. Damn cat. Birds also enter the garage quite a lot.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:46 PM
Camaro_Muncher
Pro

I use a Coverguard Triguard for the outside and it works great, very breathable, and waerproof.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:26 PM
gaijin
Racer

I've had good success using (indoors only) flannel lined car covers. For long term storage, I also place a clean cotton blanket on the horrizontal part (ie., hood, roof, rear) as additional protection from dust (dust settles on horrizontal plains).

As added safety measure for the leather interior, I use moisture absorbent packets.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:20 PM
CT03911
Banned

Cover her up! I alway do. Unless you have a filter in a conditioned garage why would you not cover it? There is always dust and some possibility of something hitting it too. Spread some mouse poison around if you can too. A covered car for a long time would make a great mouse nest.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:45 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Vehicle Storage-

Indoor: Dustop TM- 4 layer (polypropylene / polyethylene composite spun bond) cover with maximum dust protection and its soft inner layer protects paint. Light and easy to handle, prevents dings, for inside protection from dust and dirt, ideal for indoor vehicle storage or as the primary cover of a two-cover system

•Protect the paint, give the vehicle a good washing, dry it thoroughly and then apply an oil rich polish.
•Clean the interior of the car, apply a generous coating of Leatherique Rejuvinator oil to all leather surfaces, and use a box of DampRid moisture absorbing products, also leave a bar of scented soap under the seats (vermin don't like the smell)
•Apply Wurth HHS-2000 clear spray lubricant to seat rails and sunroof guide rails
•Apply a conditioner to `rubber' weather stripping (Zymol Seal)
•Apply leather conditioner to all leather surfaces.
•Close all windows, trunk, and hood, and stuff the exhaust so as mice do not enter, steel wool works better than rags as they cannot chew or use it for nesting material.
•Close windows but leave a small gap to ensure rubber seals are not completely flattened, same for doors, close to first `click'

Quick Reply: Cover question