Notices

Mositure hazed wax

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 12:54 PM
bnewport
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mositure hazed wax

I went to a PCA tech session with a team from Griots yesterday. I had a Porsche bra on the car during rain and then left in on over the following 3/4 days when it was hot.

When I took off the bra, the wax/paint had hazed under the bra. I was using Turtle Platinum Liquid Wax.

So, I hoped the griots guys could help. They polished with a #3 and then #2 polish which for sure removed the wax but the haze remains so it looks like my clear coat absorbed it or maybe there was more wax but it's hard to believe the #2 polish didn't remove the wax that was there.

I could go more aggresive and take some clear coat off hoping that the haze is in the top layer.

Any ideas?
Old 09-17-2006, 01:33 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 768 Likes on 404 Posts

Don't do anything. Just let your car sit in the sun for a day or maybe more. It's moister trapped in the clear. Depending on sun and heat, it will go away.
Old 09-17-2006, 01:49 PM
bnewport
Racer

Nope,
Did that already. 105F in Niagara falls. Parked it outside for 5 days. Didn't do anything.
Old 09-17-2006, 02:05 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 262 Likes on 142 Posts

I agree. Don't do anything abrassive to it. Let it breathe for a as long as it takes to fade. It happened to my NSX once (back when I used those black bras), and it took several days to go away, but I just left it in the garage. My next door neighbor created the forumulas that Griots uses in his waxes (they sold him the patent for seven years). He know his sht. I did what he said--do nothing. It worked. Be patient.
Old 09-17-2006, 03:09 PM
bnewport
Racer

So take off the wax and let it sit like that? It's been a couple of months now and I park the car outside the office almost everyday and it's been in the 80s.
Old 09-17-2006, 03:18 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

You must still have wax or polish trapping the moister. Wipe down the area with rubbing alcohol and microfiber. This should crack the silicone and remove most of the wax. Give it time. Post a pic, that'll help with the diagnosis.
Old 09-17-2006, 03:22 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 262 Likes on 142 Posts

Have you noticed any reduction in the haze at all over that time? Does it appear to be in the clear-coat or paint? Pics...
Old 09-18-2006, 01:54 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

It's possible that it's trapped moisture. A clear can absorb a good amount of moisture as water is smaller, on a molecular scale than the clears crosslinking, thus allowing it to be absorbed.

It should though clear up fairly soon. If this incident occurred a few weeks or perhaps months ago and you have noticed no change then there is most likely another issue going on. Take it to a trusted paint and body shop in your area and have them look at it and then a trusted professional detailer. Sadly though not many body shops or detailers know what the heck they are talking about....they will try and sell you on something (the bodyshops will want to most likely respray it and the detailers will most likely want to buff it) so be cautious.

I personally don't believe it is an issue that can be fixed short of a proper repaint. Sorry I could not be of more help, wish I could look at it personally...as stated, can you post up some nice pictures of the area??

Anthony
Old 09-23-2006, 04:41 PM
bnewport
Racer

I just tried the rubbing alcohol and it seems to have had no effect, also tried another session with my orbital sander and griots polish #3 and no effect at all besides swirls etc are gone. I may try #2 next.
Old 09-23-2006, 08:27 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The rubbing alcohol is suppose to get rid of the wax and polish. You weren't suppose to polish again. What you're trying to do is get to the bare clear and allow the moister to get out. Most of these cases that I've seen, it goes away within a week. Try wiping area with alcohol again, wash with a car soap without any wax and wait a week. If it hasn't changed at all, then chances are you need to repaint. Some pics would be very helpful.

Quick Reply: Mositure hazed wax