Notices

The Horror of Wheel Wells

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 11:15 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default The Horror of Wheel Wells

Well, I've wanted to do this for about the last year and especially this summer--clean the wheel wells to remove the 10 years of nastiness that is grime, grit, grease, oil, cosmoline, and a bit of tar. The previous owners never got under the car, but instead just brought it to the dealer for service. Obviously, dealers don't clean.

In March, when I got under the car to replace the suspension, I was confronted with the horror that is my wheel wells. Since March is not the time for outdoor washing sessions here in Michigan, I ended up replacing the suspension and putting off the undercarriage cleaning.

Well, today was the day to pay the piper. I went out and bought 6 cans of Gunk Citrus Degreaser, some brass brushes, some nylon brushes, and some brake cleaner.

After removing the wheels and soaking the wells with degreaser (about 20 minutes), I pulled out the power washer (2300PSI) and started at it. You would not believe the amount of crud that came out of those wells! I repeated the process 3 times per well, including scrubing the problem areas with the brushes. After I was done, I dressed the wells with Aerospace 303 Protectant and moved to the wheels themselves. Although they had some attentions a few months ago, it was time to scrub again.

You can see from the pictures below, it has been quite a transformation. It certainly isn't full concours level, but it is a HUGE improvement!! (MORE PICTURES HERE: http://www.pbase.com/jlsphoto/porsche_wheel_wells )

Here is the RR before the suspension install

Here is the RR after the suspension install with one crude cleaning at the local carwash, but before the detailed cleaning today

AND NOW AFTER!!!

Here is the right front before the suspension install

Here is the right front before cleaning today

AND NOW AFTER!!!

OVERALL, IT IS A HUGE IMPROVEMENT!

Old 08-02-2006, 07:47 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 261 Likes on 142 Posts

Nice job. Mine aren't nearly that bad, but could use your special services if you have some time. Good job.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:31 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Very nice!! Looks good!
Old 08-03-2006, 08:31 AM
dhicks
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish you lived closer then maybe I could enlist your services!!! Great job.....now how the hell do you keep them that clean!!!
Old 08-03-2006, 05:33 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by dhicks
...now how the hell do you keep them that clean!!!
Yup, that will be the true test.

Fortunately/unfortunately, my 993 is a fair weather friend, so it doesn't seem any winter or rain driving--I have a lease car to bang on when the weather stinks.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:08 AM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Very Nice!

Those wheel wells can be very time consuming and a very dirty job.

Anthony
Old 08-04-2006, 06:34 PM
4s
Instructor

Anthony- Looks great!!If your ever in Southern Cal let me know. I have some wheel wells for you.
Old 08-05-2006, 01:08 PM
shaynes
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you using the Gunk Citrus Brite Engine degreaser, you have inspired me to tackle the wheel wells of my 1987 Turbo Look Cab. It only has 7k miles, but damn I thought they were suppossed to be black....but I guess not, I have had a little success just testing stuff out, but need the citrus I think, and I assume you dont get too close with the pressure washer.. some of the black satin paint on the brake lines came off, but I guess I will have to redo that... I will take a series off pics as I start... I am actually excited about this, that is sick.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:20 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 4s
Anthony- Looks great!!If your ever in Southern Cal let me know. I have some wheel wells for you.
Uhhmmmm, Anthony, although a great detailer, was many states away as I was breaking my back. (I think you have the names confused.)
Old 08-06-2006, 09:21 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by shaynes
Are you using the Gunk Citrus Brite Engine degreaser, you have inspired me to tackle the wheel wells of my 1987 Turbo Look Cab. It only has 7k miles, but damn I thought they were suppossed to be black....but I guess not, I have had a little success just testing stuff out, but need the citrus I think, and I assume you dont get too close with the pressure washer.. some of the black satin paint on the brake lines came off, but I guess I will have to redo that... I will take a series off pics as I start... I am actually excited about this, that is sick.
Yup, that's the stuff I used.

Good luck and let us see the before and afters.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:01 AM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now it is time for some Griots Undercarriage Spray!
Old 08-11-2006, 06:36 PM
shaynes
Burning Brakes

Ok, I am one wheel well done and 5 hours of sweat... mine have a low sheen black spray over the body color that doesn't completely cover, I was thinking according to others who have 3.2's that they were body color, although this is paint baby... The cosmoline was there , and a pantload of it, but that was evident to see and the difference is big, but I wore off the black in a couple of places, and even scrubbed a little much and hit white primer, so I will be touching that wheel well up with low sheen black... Time to hit the PCA Tech and see what they say about this before I continue.
Old 08-12-2006, 01:28 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Jeff: Outstanding job on the wheel wells!

Shaynes, As you suspected, all the 3.2's I've owned had body color wheel wells.

Jay
90 964
84 3.2
Old 08-12-2006, 08:29 AM
shaynes
Burning Brakes

My narrow body cars have all had body color wheel wells, and my 968 also, yet I have heard 87-89 some 491 or turbos have a black overspray, this is below the shock towers up into the wheel wells behind the brake lines etc, so it wasn't an afterthought...
Old 08-13-2006, 10:37 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

shaynes -

How's it coming?

Any pics?

Quick Reply: The Horror of Wheel Wells